Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
channel catfish help!
I decided i want to catch a channel catfish this year.Can anyone give me advice on fishing for channel cats this year?I don`t want trophey sized channel catfish,(allthough that would be nice) i just wish to catch a desent sized channel cat.Any help will be appreciated![cool]
[signature]
Sure, the more lines out, the better.Try small baitfish, live, and dead, or cut up?Try letting them rott,I personally haven't tried the rotting technique.O ,I used hot dog before, half a dog or quarters of it.I got 3lb cat and it had a 7inch bass in his stomack.Also seen a big one wahed up chocked on a big spotted tilapia.Also live worms. good luck, patience pays.Ive caught them in the earlly afternoons 5 pm try that, then fish till dark? check your bait every hour if you wish.
[signature]
hotdogs .....yeap hotdogs...

and stink bait. docs or premo ... doesn't matter as long as it stinks.

I catch more catfish, carp, bowfin and drum on hotdogs than any bait I've ever used...

sounds dumb but it works, really.
[signature]
Should the hot dogs be cooked or raw?
[signature]
Should the hotdogs be raw or cooked?
[signature]
raw ..l dont cook them ..

if you marianade them with anise or other spices let it sit over night in a ziplock bag.

I catch more cats on hotdogs than any bait I buy from stores.

20lb carp too ...

hotdogs a good fun bait.
[signature]
How do i make a skinkbait?
[signature]
nice sized raw shrimp work good aswell. Earth worms, hotdogs, cut bait, chicken livers wrapped in pantyhose.
You can use alot of stuff.
[signature]
+1 on the uncooked shrimp
[signature]
I remember catching them with bread, I "ball it up" would get small ones off the dock.Just make sure you get that high quality bread.My buddy came to me one day with some bread from Jamaica.it stayed fress for days,and was pretty good,although I don't normally eat my bait.
[signature]
take any of the ideas here and put them in a covered container. maybe add fish oil and garlic powder. set the container outside in the sun for a few days. you will have stink bait. chicken livers work the same way.

just make sure not to open the containers indoors.
[signature]
Any luck yet,I hope you got one one your first day out,let us know what worked for you,I also use hot dogs raw.....
[signature]
I like to use 4/0 to 6/0 kahle hooks baited with fresh cut bait (perfer shad but bluegill work as well). I fish this both under a float or on the bottom. I try and look for cover during the day and shallow flats near holding cover during the night. Hope this helps
[signature]
I'd stay away from store bought dip and paste baits. I've personally never had any luck with them. A few buddies and had 9 poles set on the bank last week, 5 with dip bait, 4 with chicken livers. We had no hits on the dip baits but the 4 with the liver produced 10 2lb+ fish, largest being around 15lbs.
I've also heard of using either live bluegill or cut gills, haven't tried it yet but I'm planning on giving it a shot tomorrow.
[signature]
I've tried fishing with hot dogs but I can't get them to stay on the hook. What's secret? Thanks.
[signature]
If you switch up to live bait, make sure your tackle is up to the task. Live bait, such as bream, crappy, or herring; tempt the channel cat's big cousins: the Flathead and the Blue. Flathead and blue catfish commonly reach sizes in excess of 50 pounds, and they will shred most walmart specials. [Wink]
[signature]
Might take a few trys too get hot dogs too stay on. Best part in my opin. is the ends were they are crinkled. Bust a piece about====== <<this long and try it.

Ive also tryed working with livers using socks, pantyhose, etc., Then i decided too try some gizzards little more tendons n cartiledge They are almost impossible 2 de-hook. So far so good.
[signature]
+1 to shrimp - shells on are fine. I'll put some crawdad flavor on em after they've soaked for a while.
Nightcrawlers do pretty good for me also.

Noone mentioned Carp Strips. Let 'em flutter.
I know one feller who drags minnows weightless - carp minnows, or chub. A lot slam plastics on jigheads too. I've been using octopus or circle hooks with beads and spinner blades.
[inline C5e.AnudderCookieFlasher.jpg]
You could search Youtube for stinkbait recipes. Seen some mix up commercial tubes of blood- dip bait, cereal, and other stuff. I don't care for getting all that stink bait on my hands. God forbid you spill a bucket of sun-baked stink bait on yourself, or in your boat....
[inline Ce2.PhattieOnBoard.JPG]
I personally won't leave the dock without Sunny's Catfish Bait in the boat. Its always worked for me!
I like to use a slip rig, 2 ot circle hook tipped with some kind of cut bait either white bass or minnow, shrimp or liver also works. Try finding deeper and shady holes on river bends.
[signature]