Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Float Tubing Trip of the Year
All the running water is --- mmmmm--- running --- high and dirty. So when some free time and the first decent weather we've had in two months hit on the same day, I loaded up my Renegade pontoon and fly rods, and I went for a drive!

First stop - Hawkins Reservoir. I should say "first PAUSE" as I didn't stay. Good to see that the reservoir is really full. There were three or four boats on the water and a couple of bank fishermen. But one campfire and a two stroke engine that was producing a nice blue fog bank helped me to decide against staying. (cough) So I moved on.

Daniels is just over the hill a ways, so I decided to go up there. No dice! After about a mile the road was a muddy mess! [img]../../../images/gforum/frown.gif[/img] I didn't want to have to scrape 10 inches of mud off of our truck so --- back down to Hawkins Road and head to Deep Creek.

What an amazing day! It was afternoon already, and there was still no wind! I almost couldn't believe it. Is this still Idaho???

Deep Creek is really full and cold!

The water was nice and fairly clear, -- and cold. Did I mention that the water was cold? I get all set to go, when I find out that my trolling motor isn't working.
Back to shore while muttering under my breath -- *X*@@* % * ---( that is loosely interpreted as "Sachafratch and Snickerdoodles!") [img]../../../images/gforum/angelic.gif[/img]

A winters worth of corrosion and a lovely shade of green tarnish on one of my connecting plugs. After searching for 20 minutes for the pocket knife that I know is in my fishing gear somewhere, I use a wood screw that was in the ashtray to clean the connection. Wonderful to live in the age of high tech tools!

Back out on the water at last!! It is amazing that the human foot can still freeze when wrapped in a polypropylene sock, a wool sock, and neoprene wadders.
--- Did I mention that Deep Creek Res is colder than the last three rivers I waded in January?? Oh well, that is the price we pay for fishing.

There were some bank fishermen out, but not much in the way of boats, and certainly no other pontoons or float tubes. As I pause to look around, I hear my left foot screaming that it is "move or freeze in this one position"!! Back to finning my way to great fishing.

After two hours and three laps of the northwest half of the lake my feet are frozen, and there is a distinct smell of skunk in the air!

Not only did I get skunked, but I only had one short hit, no hookups, and I saw a total 6 fish on the sonar after going over half the lake! I think all of the fish are huddled up somewhere -- to a nice warm stove. Did I mention that Deep Creek was cold today?
[img]../../../images/gforum/crazy.gif[/img]
[signature]
Well I can see that you had a hard time keeping your attention on the fishing, [:p] must have been cold.[laugh]
At least you got out!
[signature]
Hey C, was it cold?[laugh][laugh][laugh] It's tuff when it is that cold. Can't stop shaking and react a little slower than needed.
But, there you have it, first tubing trip of the year...it's all down hill now.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"COOL" report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hopefully it only gets better from here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]