Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Dry Flies
Anyone have any suggestions for finding dry flies online for killer deals. There used to be a site called greywolfflies.com, but they are no longer around. Anyway, any ideas?
[signature]
one place I used to get flies on line was blueflycafe.com ... usually had good deals ... ay want to also try dendiscounts.com....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
you dont fish in my waters mi amigo... I get those 2 and 3 signs allllll the time..... right about the time they flip me the fin... turn and swim away laughing... [laugh]
[signature]
also allenflyfishing.com .. they just started carrying flies... you may want to give them a look also..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]If"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...um/happy.gif[/img]If[/url] you got the time, tying your own flies [besides the inital cost] can be fun. less expensive and rewarding. If a branch comes down and steals my fly I don't get upset any more about loosing a $1.50/$2.00. Heck I don't tie pretty flies but I have yet to see a fish hold up a sign and say mines a 3 and the store bought is a 10. [/#008000][/font][/quote]

+1 and x2 same way i feel. what i love is when i go fishing i will give some flies to those guys that buy store bought and let them fish them. when i tell them i will give them some flies to use they ask how much. i tell them free. then they ask how i can do it i tell them at .10-.40 cents a fly for tying my self it get these guy a little jacked to start tying. which is good cause then i do not have to give out my flies. you know the saying this is for the fish this is for the fishermen. give them a fly that work but not the exact fly let them have fun doing the research figuring it out.
[signature]
Heck, I take my gear if I am going to be more than one day. It is always that ONE fly. the only ON E you have, and they mutilate it and still come back for more.

I have gone to lakes with every fly imaginable to only end up at the bench or picnic table tying something completely different. Same with rivers.
[signature]
Here is a good reason NOT to tie your own

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...500wt_1156
[signature]
I can only assume that a #1 cape like that is the primo of primo capes.. otherwise there is no way Id pay that much for one.. [:p]

MacFly
[signature]
I have several but, I paid like $65. to $85. And they look like this one. It's the hair phase.
[signature]
of course i am from Michigan and i think the most i paid for my cape was 35 buck's and 20 for 1/2 capes some of mine are 5-10 bucks. for the black for woolly buggers and stone flies you only really need three colors here in Michigan in capes be side the black a and i would suggest Saddles the premium in like silver that are long 10-12 inch type from whiting in 1/2 capes in a med dun a brown and a grizzly other then those it is a waste of money on long and short hackles. cause there the wrong colors for Michigan most of the bugs are from out west that the other cape color are used in. like pale yellow , olive green , cream, now bass cape are a different story cause you got to have them.

as for the vice get one of cabelas pocket kits for 30 bucks it all you need with scissors bobbin etc. if getting in to fly tying plan what your buying like take a flies for michigan class or etc class out west. plan to tie the color they suggest or at least pay attention to it cause the bug you buy in the store are different color then what i have used on the water. most of all eggs are different hexs etc..

. they molt so the higher in the longitude latitude you get of the u.s. they may get darker. try matching to the egg the fish pukes out it does help a lot. this is where kick nets really work help you realize what is in the stretch. this is were i do not like stomach pumps some time the smaller fish will key in on the wrong bugs and the bigger fish will key in on a different bug. so how ever you caught that fish maybe the wrong fly so keep it in mind.
[signature]
I just know I have accumulated a lot of material over the years to the point, I am pretty much set to tie just about any fly that interest me.
I do have several capes, different shades of Dun, Olive Black, Brown, several shades of Furnace, White, CDL, and Grizzly in natural, Olive, Yellow, Burnt Orange, Orange.

But for buggers I use Schlappen, or Chinese Saddle Hackle. More wispy. Not to mention, they are great for Matuka's and wings or body's for Streamers.

The hackle like in the ebay add are for dries and nymphs.

Another thing to keep in mind is there is only so many patterns to tie. The rest is all variations to that. Ex. A Copper John and a Pheasant tail..basically same tie, just different material.... different sizes also.

Take a wooly Worm and add a feather to the top...Stayner Ducktail. Take a Haresear in a #12 and larger, tie it in Golden, Brown, or Black and you have a Stone fly.
[signature]
gotta love beauty salons and current hair styles... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yea, too bad my neighbor doesn't talk to me, she has a salon (according to the sign on her car). If she only knew what I have.
[signature]