Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sig Sauer 522 semi-auto rifle
I debated for a while on what type of autoloading rifle to get for the range. Because of the economy and the rising prices of ammunition, it was a no brainer for me to go with a .22 versus the full size 5.56 NATO. I was caught between the Sig 522 and the Smith and Wesson M&P. My friend has the M&P, and it is most certainly a fine rifle, but I elected to go with the Sig, because of it's equally great reviews, and because it's more of an oddity than the Smith.

I made no mistake with this rifle, and after a couple range tests, am very happy with the purchase. My first trip to the range, I was able to test it side by side with my buddies Smith. THough both rifles ate up the cheapest of bulk ammo, it was the feel and functionality of the Sig that I felt was more appropriate for a training weapon. It is more accurately weighted to it's full size brother, and because of it's weight, the felt recoil was much lighter, allowing me a faster target aquisition. I know mentioning recoil in a .22 caliber rifle seems silly, but when you are able to shoot the two different rifles side by side, you can tell the difference. I will mention, however, the magazines for the Smith were easier to feed than the Sig. The Sig has a standard type mag, where as the Smith has this little titty you can pull down as you load it, relieving the tension as you go. The Sig mag is a real bastard to get those last three or four rounds in.

I didn't see the point in spending a bunch of loot on a ACOG for a .22 trainer, so I went with a Truglo red dot sight. It's no ACOG, but for close quarters work, it's perfect. When I step up to the Sig 556, I won't settle for anything less than a Trijicon or Aimpoint.

Overall, very happy with the purchase. The picture is my oldest son holding it up. That was his first time shooting a rifle like that. Really nice set up. For the money, I don't think there is a finer set up.
[signature]
Hey dude I did'nt know you also hunt right on.I got a mallard duck down here at my lake female,almost 2lb after gutting her.My first ever mallard.real tasty.do you happen to know about these ducks,been tring to find out?thanks dude.Enjoy the new rifle.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]