Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My little toon
Well you do live in "the Great White North" eh? [Wink] What is the weather there like?
[signature]
I have an off the wall question on this... with a toon the size of this one why cant you put a small gas engine on it as well... ?? That would get you where you need to go and then use the trolling motor to move around as needed.. especially on larger stillwater lakes or reservoirs...

I know kocha and mojo have gas engines on their pontubes.. why not a larger regular toon??

MacFly
[signature]
You could, I have seen regular pontoons with like 3 hp motors. I think biggest problem with that would be price. You need a motor that can idle, and four stroke preferred for smell sakes. You are going to be looking at around $500. for just the motor...about twice what a lot of these pontoons cost. Room and weight capacity would dictate using an electric on top of this. Even a small gas motor is going to add at least 35lbs with the gas.

Koch has a 12 foot pontoon with a 1,200 lb weight capacity, he is running both. Mojo's is 10'6" and runs a bigger gas motor, he could use his Minn Kota as well, but the problem they have is you have to steer with the motor as your feet are now out of the water.
Gas motors, you do want to go forward. Another problem as two separate pontoons do not track well at all.
[signature]
makes sense to me.. but on the lakes Id be using here that are kind of small I could probably deal with the iffy tracking.. just a guess though.. but the price and weight are definately an issue..

MacFly
[signature]
Gas motors are killer for getting from point A to point B. Man, Mojo is able to hit anywhere on any lake, where I am limited with an electric.

The pros for electric are, first off, a lot of waters do not allow gas motors (Uinta's)
Electric goes slow enough to leave it on in wind to maintain position.
Electric go slow enough to troll.
Electric you have hands free fishing while operating because you steer with your feet/fins.
Electric are much easier to start.
You do have to strengthen your frame or mount for a gas motor.

An electric motor will run $100. to very fancy $500. For a small 2.5ml gas motor $850. and weight still starting at 40 lbs for just the motor (no gas)

Down side to an electric, the weight of the battery, and having to replace that battery at 4 to 6 years at around at least $150. a pop.

The thing to remember is Zach and Mojo put their frames on the other direction and with the boat design, it is now a Zodiac.
[signature]
ahhh I had forgotten they went to "Z" mode.. [Smile]

your point on the trolling and no wake are good but what I had in mind was getting to a spot quicker with the gas and then going to electric to "quietly" troll around for the lunkers..

but as I said the cost and the added weight of the motor and gas ... plus my weight it would start out at over 300 pounds on that poor frame.. add my gear.. cooler .. sonar.. radar.. a/c.. gps/sat tv dish .. etc.. Id sink that toon as soon as I sat on it.. [sly]

MacFly
[signature]
Please post more pics of how your pvc rod holders mount to the frame - love the setup!
[signature]
Well, the weather has been stable enough this week for me to get the pontoon set up and ready to go. Hope to borrow a battery and give the motor a go with it set to pull instead of push.

My neighbour left an old electric at my front door so I just need to borrow a battery and check it out to see if I will like it. I can test it out on my trout club waters where I won't need the operator's licence. Not likely anybody will come on private property to check for operator's licences.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Sorry for late reply, here's a picture of how i mounted rod holders to cargo frame. I used metal adjustable pipe clamps and sprayed black to match.
[signature]
Very Cool!
[signature]