Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor question for owners of Escape
What kind of anchor do you use (if you use an A.)?
How much does it weigh?

I just bought the Escape and the 15# star anchor from Dave (the yellow one with the points on both ends). I have an after-thought. I wonder if a 15# anchor will be too heavy for me (female, not real strong in upper body strength). Plus I just remembered how a boat can turn on a single anchor. I'd like it to stay put BUT I also don't want 2 anchor lines that a fish could wrap itself around. One is plenty for that to happen.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks,

FT
[signature]
both. star and chain anchor. i like the star its noce and heavy an d all but the chain anchor is the best. its a 15# ball of chains on a caribeaner. it has alot more grip then the star anchor
[signature]
Oh, that's interesting, never thought about that. I'm going to call Dave first thing Monday morning. I'm still concerned about the weight. I had a 7# kayak anchor that worked well most of the time.
[signature]
I don't use one, But I have the chain anchor as well. Nice thing is you can add or subtract links as the weather dictates. They are heavy and any anchor is a pain to pull up, but there are those times....I probably could have used one today.
[signature]
Yup, I had an idea you were fishing today. [Wink]
[signature]
Have you ever used a drift chute? They really slow you down in windy conditions.
[signature]
Yes on our regular boat, but never on a tube/toon. I do see them having a purpose at times however.
[signature]
You said the chain anchor holds better than the star anchor. Are you talking about fishing in lakes or in rivers? Do you use an anchor very often?

Joni said she doesn't use her anchor very often. I use a spinning and occasionally a casting reel. There are many times when I had my kayak that I'd use an anchor for still fishing. I imagine with fly fishing you'd want to be mobile and not use an anchor.

One of my beefs with the kayak was that is was almost impossible to hold my position. I imagine that holding my position will be much easier with the Escape. I also got a couple of markers after I learned that bass fishermen use them a lot.

My Escape arrived this morning. It looks great! Dave certainly thinks of everything, like Joni said.

Thanks,

FT
[signature]
It is true drifting is a great way to fly fish, but we (Koch included) do all of Deep Nymphing, which is like jigging. You sit in one spot. Most time I am casting to the shore line and stripping back, so no we don't move. There are trollers those, which I do to find the fish.
[signature]
How do you sit in one spot? Using your fins?
[signature]
As best as I can, yes with fins.
[signature]
I have seen pontoons rigged with pulley release for an anchor, so I guess some people use them. I like the grapnel design because it holds on just about any type of bottom and can weight a lot less. A single anchor is not very useful in strong wind or waves on open water because of the rough ride and swinging off your position. You don't need one if it is calm in open water since you can use your fins. Anchors work better in rivers where there is a consistent force of current and thus your swinging is more limited.

But mostly, I just hover as FG has indicated or use a troll to hover.

Pon
[quote Fishtales23]What kind of anchor do you use (if you use an A.)?
How much does it weigh?

I just bought the Escape and the 15# star anchor from Dave (the yellow one with the points on both ends). I have an after-thought. I wonder if a 15# anchor will be too heavy for me (female, not real strong in upper body strength). Plus I just remembered how a boat can turn on a single anchor. I'd like it to stay put BUT I also don't want 2 anchor lines that a fish could wrap itself around. One is plenty for that to happen.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks,

FT[/quote]
[signature]