Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring caten' at the hole 5/1
Had plans to float around one of my honey holes early this morning. Parked at the lot a little before sunrise temp was 49F with a mild wind. Could barely even light my cig when I got out of the car. Didn't feel like battling mother nature so I decided to bank it.

Tossed jigs most of the morning didn't get any love with that so I decided to bait up. Wasn't long before the cats came to play. I got dozens of bites but only landed 4 of em. I kept busy the rest of the day foolin with em.

Short periods of strong wind came through every now and then for the most part it was nice. Most boaters stayed in the wash netting shad then high tailed it back out of there. Except some silly bassmaster on a ranger decided to flip some brush 5ft away from me I yelled "do you mind" a cussing match insued ended with him leaving setting off a huge wake, all I wanted is some solitude. Overall it was a blast picked up some brews and pizza on the way home.

[inline 027.JPG]

[inline 001.JPG]

[inline 040.JPG]

[inline 043.JPG]

[inline 030.JPG]
^ right through the eye ^
[inline 062.JPG]

[inline 070.JPG]
^ look at those pretty cat fillets ^
[signature]
[cool]nice fish and report 4pound, you are the "cat king" here in the nevada forums it seems u always get them kittys everytime u go out there on what ever you throw at them. u have the game down pat buddy. u are now due for that 10lbr that keeps eluding you. sorry that u keep gettin shunned on the float tube game, you'll get out there sooner or later and it will pay off for you. just hope when u hook up that 10lbr on that tube it don't pull you all over the lake lol. fish on buddy [fishon]
[signature]
Great report 4pound. You got more use out of the grips than me, right on!
[signature]
Thanks syn, believe it or not there a great species to target year round at lake mead. I can always rely on those buggers when I cant wrangle up any bass,witch is most of the time lol [cool] depending on the season I will accidently catch stripers using the same technique.

The trick is fish light enough to feel them taking the bait, you'll miss more fish using a rod holder.I have also already experienced being pulled around in a tube .....wasn't exactly fun lol [Smile] when I lived in washington I hooked into a sturgeon, the beast pulled me into a rough section of river and I cut the line like a poulet lol.

The fish grips are great Iamthesmf they make it a cleaner, easier, safer process when I C&R. When I first moved here I lip'ed them like bass [crazy] learned the hard way lol also been spined a few times too ouch!
[signature]
I caught a 26 inch catfish 2 years ago at Boulder Harbor. I don't have a scale so not sure how much it weighed. I only had the phone camera that day. It wasn't the 10 lber, but it was pretty big.
[Image: catfish_03.jpg]
[signature]
Nice one jimbo bet he fought hard [cool]

I have recieved several Pm's in the past asking how I cook and prep lake mead kitty's. I added my catfish recipe over on the utah board today so figured I would add it here too. Enjoy.

[cool] First of all I've tried catfish in every witch way you can prep and cook em and just like any other fish it can taste different depending on how you prep and cook it. Personal preference really. I find filleting, breading then frying is the easiest and best tasting way to do catfish. I also avoid filleting then freezing my fish, prefer it fresh consuming within 24hours. I like the manual fillet knife over electric. Keep it simple whatever ingredients you have on hand.

-Ingredients-

1. Skinless, boneless catfish fillets ( I clean em down thoroughly, no belly meat or fat for me)
2. Milk
3. Eggs
4. Breading of choice ( bread crumbs,cornmeal,flour etc)
5. Seasoning of choice ( salt,pepper,seasoned salt etc)
6. Oil of choice (peanut,vegtable,canola etc)
7. Dressing or dip of choice (salsa,tartar,hotsauce,bbq etc)

Rinse the fillets breifly with water. Cut into strips. Soak in milk for 4+ hours. Dip in egg. Coat in seasoning + breading, repeat last two steps for thicker coat. Fry em until done. Serve with dressing or dip. Jazz it up a bit with some fried potato wedges. Have it for breakfast,lunch,dinner even surprise your wife with a romantic dinner lol. There you have it 4poundonly's "Kitty Fingerz" recipe.
[signature]