Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Time Surf Fishing
Hello all. I will be going to the beach in South Carolina on May 21,2011 and plan on doing alot of fishing, both surf and pier. I fish alot at home in Ohio for cats and bass so I have plenty of tackle. I added a picture of the beach I'll be fishing and just wanted to know what I need to be casting at and where. I will be using live bait with a 11 ft pole and when waiting on action on the big pole will be working artificial lures will my bass pole. I'm starting to familiarize myself with the waves breaking and all that and would love some help. I added letters to the pic so you can identify parts like sand bars and all that . All tips and tricks appreciated because this is my first time fishing the ocean.Thanks!
[signature]
First of all, welcome to the SC forum. So, onto the fishing part. It looks like you've got the right gear for surf fishing. A 10 or 11' rod, matched with a good spinning or casting reel, with 20 lb line is just perfect. That will give you the ability to launch your bait past the breakers, which is where you want it when fishing from the surf. Anywhere past "C" on your picture is prime territory. Inside the breakers, you won't find too much. The occasional Red Drum, juvinile whiting, croakers, etc.... Beyond the breakers, you'll find drum in bigger numbers, flounder, black drum, sharks, bluefish, and when in season, Pompano. Some other species come that close in, but not in numbers. Live bait is a great choice, especially if you want to avoid the little trash fish swimming around. Live mullet can be cast netted, and you might find them hanging around with in reach, by the time you show up. Either way, mud minnows can be purchased year around. Fresh shrimp is also good bait.. Fresh, not frozen. I get my shrimp from the seafood market. If it's good enough for you to eat, it's fresh enough to fish with. Keep your cut bait on ice, so it's fresh. FRESH is key. You would probably snag a drum or bluefish with your lures from the surf. A saltwater assasin or bass assasin, on a lead head is a great lure. I strongly recommend albrighting on a strip of fluorocarbon leader to your main line. Most predatory fish in the ocean have exceptional vision, and use their eyes as much as their nose. You're use to fishing cats, and they are smell hunters. Oh, another great bait is sand fleas.

From the pier, you may find that long rod a bit of a pill. You don't need anything beyond a 6'6 or so. What would actually be perfect, is your catfish gear from the pier. (granted you catfish like I do) Any type of stand up gear, 20 lb line or better. You don't have to cast out too far, infact, I catch many of my fish strait down, or under the pier; especially around the bait tables. Use a carolina style rig with a fluorocarbon leader and egg weight. Bluefish, mackerel, and a few other species are partial to shiney lures. A crocodial spoon is great because they are heavy enough to cast, and have that shine. Another great lure is a gotcha plug. You retrieve them much like a jerk bait.

I don't know what else to add in. Just ask more questions if I didn't cover something. I'll help as much as I can. Maybe someone else will also chime in. I fish catfish tournaments in my area of SC. I noted you did some catfishing in your home state. We target large flathead and blue cats, with heavy gear and live bait. It's actually been kind of slow lately, for the catfish that is.
[signature]