Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Type of Line
I have a Penn Jigmaster #500 and a #309 Level Wind with the level wind removed, and I like going out on half day boats and three-quarter day boats. I'm seeking advice on what type of line to use, what lb, brand, etc. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
There is a ton of lines out there. Berkley and Trilene have always worked for me. 1/2 day boats I would not use anything less than 12-16 pound and 3/4 day right now you better be using 20-30lb.
[signature]
Hello BFFG,

I would go with 30# P-Line on the JigMaster 500 and 20# P-Line on the #309.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Thanks for the advice angler. I know how to fish, but when it comes to choosing what type of line I'm at a loss[:/]because there are so many different kinds. Do they sell P-line at Wal-Mart.
[signature]
hey fishfather, thanks for your advice too, I have some Trilene Big Game line on one of my reels right now and that seems to do O.K.
[signature]
I always forget about P-Line. That works good too. Alot of the guys on these boards work on the charters so they should be able to tell you what they see working.

P-Line or Berkley for your heavier fish!
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Hello BFFG,[/size]

[size 1]I here you and the variety and technology is always changing, even on things like line. I am kind of a creature of habit and don't tend to get to creative when it comes to things like choosing line. I find something I like and stick with it. Until someone educates me to a better alternative (which does happen). [/size]

[size 1]I wouldn't think Wal Mart would carry P-Line but you can check available retailers at the link below. P.S. I don't say P-Line because they advertise with us (they don't) its just a great product. I would hate to loose a fish of a life time because I decided to get creative on selecting my line (but that's just me).[/size][/size]

[url "http://www.p-line.com/dealers/index.html"]http://www.p-line.com/dealers/index.html[/url]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Thanks for the P-line dealer list angler, I think I'll go to Norm's BigFishTackle in Seal Beach because its closest. Thanks for the help.[Smile]
[signature]

Hey there BFFG,

I've tried almost all of the new lines in the last few months! The braids are no good on the open-party boats (tangle trouble with mono) but some of the co-polymers and the fluorocarbons work great.

I just happen to put some 20 pound Izor line 'platinum', which is a dark green color, on a calcutta 400 and found it to be great for the 20 pound yellows. Low stretch, good abrasion resistance and high tensil strength (I'd say 30 pound!!!) made it a joy to use.

Izor is a local California product and one of the first manufactures of line specifically for our so cal waters and fish species! Line choice is often depends on the species your fishing for in my book.

But if your float tubing too you might consider another reel to use with the braids as you're not going to tangle anybody and they do have low water visibility, superior strength, less stretch and good abrasion resistance.

JapanRon
[signature]
I have never been to a walmart or kmart that sells pline, izorline, or any of the rest of the really good lines. i would go to a tackle shop to do this. I usually just by the line that they put on the reel for you. but if you would rather put it on yourself, then i would suggest one of the bulk spools because it will last you a whole lot longer. Izorline is a pretty good line. i use 30# on my jig reel and i use 20# platinum on my plastics and light bait rod. I also like pline, but it seems like it stretches alot. I usually fish 15# on that rod though.

joe
[signature]
thanks for letting me know [Smile] Theres a tackle store right by my house. I'll just go over there and try some of each line because I have several reels to fill. Good luck fishing.[Smile]
[signature]
I personally can say that I will NEVER use PLINE AGAIN!!!

I am an IZORLINE kind of guy just because it stands up to me leaving it along with a rod and reel on the boat when I am working and it being tough!! I fish 40lbs, 25, 20 and 15 in Izor all the time and 40 is what I use the most. I also use it because I have never had the line break on a fish except for the 2 times where I was lazy and knew that the line was kind of fraid up and didnt retie, but that is a different story called BEING LAZY by Aaron G [Tongue]

So use Izorline and give the P line back to JAPAN!!! [Smile] [Wink]

A G
[signature]

Hey there Guest,

I had no idea how many guys like the Izor. If I were you I'd get nothing but the Platinum. The reason is that I used to use nothing but Ande, became dis-satisfied with it and tried Ande IGFA. The difference was day and night. The IGFA was much better. It seemed that the 'premium grade' level of the line was light-years better. I wonder if Triline's Big Game and Big Game Xtrength is the same deal.

Where to buy? Check our site here! I'm sure somebody sells it. Otherwise, you might have to hunt a little. I noticed some at my local Big 5 but..... Oh ya, make sure you get something like a 1/4 pound spool as the 150yd filler spools often cost almost the same for less line!

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2] Trilene has several different lines for specific fishing at reasonable prices for local fishing which works fine and the average fisherman wouldn't notice the difference.[/size]

[size 2] Then of course there is Berkley which I personally like and works for me, P-Line and Izorline. [/size]

[size 2] P-Line and Izorline and the more exspensive and to be honest I did not notice the difference between Trilene over any of them.[/size]

[size 2] Of course the majority of my fishing is lakes and ocean bays. No real BIGFISH fishing.[/size]

[size 2] When I do BIGFISH for yellowtail or whatever I use Berkley low visability line and never had an issue.[/size]

[size 2] Try it all and see what works. The easiest way to choose.[/size]
[signature]
Hey everybody I'm glad I just checked the site before I went to fill my reels with P-line. It seems a lot of people don't like it so I guess I'll go with platinum izorline. Thanks.
[signature]
Do you know where I can pick up some izorline platinum?
[signature]
[size 2]Beverley Hills! Just kidding[Tongue] I think Norms Big Fish in SB carries it. Give em a call 562-431-0723 or Rick's in LB corner of Bellflower and Carson.[/size]
[signature]
i think young has got i dude... but since you live right there....it probably isn't much trouble just goin over there.
hasta luego.

joe
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]There are more name brands and kinds of line than soft drinks. I don’t have just one type of line I use. I have different lines on different rod and reels. I have found that some lines are better than other. I just get a line and see how it fishes. If I like it, I buy it again.

You might want to look at Bass Pro’s Excel, it comes in 4# to 30#. I use 30# and at 14 bucks for 1800 yards, It is the best line for the money. Also it has superior resistance to abrasion. I fish a lot around bridge piling in both fresh and salt water. I have had fish to go around pilings and the line has held most of the times. The only draw back is most people have to order it unless you are near the Bass Pro store.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey tubinjoe, I called and he said he didnt have it. Is the younger guy Young's son?
[signature]