Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Report
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report<br>Week of 12-02-01 through 12-08-01<br> <br>Only two trips this week and both were pretty good. There wasn’t much wind on either day, and we suffered with the “no-see-ums.” If you fish in the fall and spring, they can be a major factor in whether or not you enjoy the day or not. A product I have found to be really good against them is made by Johnson & Johnson and is called “Skintastic”, not to be Confused with “Skin So Soft” which is simply an inconvenience for the bugs. This “Skintastic” stuff comes in two different types, a clear liquid and a white heavy liquid sort of like suntan lotion. My personal preference is the latter because it seems to stay on longer. Our weather this winter has been unseasonably warm so far. The water is starting to warm back up to the point where the green algae is growing again. A month or so ago, the water was getting crystal clear the way it normally does in the winter. Now, however, it’s starting to get green and cloudy again. I don’t have a clue as to what that might do to the fishing. We are still catching a large number of small reds mixed with the larger ones. Trout are still in short supply but if we have a mild winter and they all survive, we should have a really good spring run of them. The same applies to the small reds. Next season, these little guys will be up into the 3# size and will give a good fight on light tackle or fly rods. The reds this week fell for the old favorites. Namely, the jigs, spoons, crank baits, and soft jerk baits. No one thing seemed to work best and we didn’t use any live or cut bait for the first time in a long while. Two small reds were caught on a weedless spoon fly one afternoon when the wind dropped to nearly nothing. <br><br>The totals for the week were: reds totaled 17 fish; trout totaled 9 , and flounder totaled 1 .<br><br>Thanks, Gene Dickson<br><br>Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com<br>Georgetown, SC<br>1-843-546-3645<br><br>Our new e-mail address is: Delta-Guide-Service@sc.rr.com <br><br>We are a saltwater fishing guide service located on the coast of South Carolina.