Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>12/9/01<br>Did I sleep through winter and wake up in May? I wish it were so but I know that one of those cold fronts will make it into Florida eventually and that will probably open the flood gate for the winter weather that we have not seen yet. The Gulf temperature is still in the 70s, there are still some kingfish and Spanish mackerel being caught off Clearwater, but the grouper are acting like it’s winter time and they are being caught in water that’s only 20 to 50 feet deep. The only trick is to find a place where there is no red tide. Trolling large, deep-diving plugs is a very effective way to fish. You are able to cover a lot of area and when you find grouper that hit your plugs, you can either work the area trolling or go back and anchor on the spot and bottom fish for a while.<br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – The large sheepshead are all over the area this week. The tides have been so low this week that you could almost walk to St. Pete. The weather has been so warm that everyone is looking for summertime fish. There are a lot of tarpon around the power plant and a lot of big jacks are in the vicinity.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Reds, flounder, small snook and sheepshead have been the fish of the week in our area. There is still plenty of bait hanging around the bridge and the best place to fish is where you find the schools of bait. <br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Lots of kings have been caught this week, but nobody seems to be able to find any live bait. The grouper are coming in for anglers trolling the Stretch 30s and all the fish they are catching are big. Spanish mackerel were along the beach at Indian Rocks, biting well on silver spoons.<br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Sheepshead and drum are biting well on the Gandy on fiddlers and small blue crabs. Reds have been feeding on shrimp around the 4th street bridge.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Some kings were caught last week and the Spanish mackerel seem to be back again. Specks are biting well but the season is still closed.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Grouper are being caught by just about everybody this week both close in and deeper. The red tide has gotten a little better in the area this week, but the backwater fishing was really hit hard by it. Sheepshead are biting well along the bridge and the jetties.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Our offshore boats are really cashing in on blackfin tuna and amberjack fishing around the anchored shrimp boats 30 miles or so offshore. There are still a few flounder being caught off our gas docks along with the occasional grouper. Night fishing along the sea wall seems to be good this week.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com