Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Spring Checklist
Just as I was thinking that winter was over here it comes again. The weatherman says we got 3 inches of snow here in Hutch, but he hasn't looked in my yard. Reports of 8 to 12 inches in the Lake Wilson area are a blessing, we need the water, but on the down side it slows the water temperature warming process way down! Here are a few things I do to get ready for spring, I go thru ALL my tackle, oiling reels, replacing line, sharpening and replacing hooks, if a hook won't scratch your finger nail it will have a hard time penetrating. One thing allot of people overlook are the guides on there rods, the smallest nick will cause line abrasion, which can mean the lose of that BIG fish. I either replace the guides or the entire rod. Early spring is a time when the boat traffic is lite and no time for a breakdown. Make sure all your batteries are fully charged, I even carry a spare battery just in case, make sure your fuel is in good condition, your lower unit is full and free of moisture. Now is the time to pack those trailer bearings, it's a job I hate but there's nothing worse than being broke down on the way to the lake. Check your safety equipment, life jackets, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, sound producing device, if you don't check it someone else may do it for you, these items are much less expensive than the ticket you get if there not in good working order. Spring fever has certainly hit and from the numbers of people I have spoken with everyone is ready to get on the water, ME TOO!!! But since the weather isn't ready to cooperate now's the time to get prepared for a trouble free spring fishing trip!!<br><br><br>