Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NE Arkansas flooding is ruining Bass Spawn this year. w/pics
I live 25 minutes from the Mississippi River in NE Arkansas. We have several shutes and Tributaries running through my area off the Mississippi. One of the great fishing spots within 10 miles of my hometown is flooding worse than it has in 100 years.

All the farm ponds and local natural ponds within 10 minutes of my apartment are either 4-5 foot high or more. The streams and rivers here are ALL at least 10 foot above normal and at least one 2 miles from my home are at 15 feet above normal.

It's impossible to spot any Bass here spawning. Last week I saw a few making some preparing nests, but now the water (even in the ponds) is just a pure brown muddy mess.

The levee here that harbors the Marked Tree Siphons is only about 8 foot from overflowing. I tell ya I hope this all subsides this week and never happens again in my lifetime.

This flood has almost completely ruined the bass fishing in our area. Luckily there are a few local ponds that are Spring Fed and still hold some relatively clear water. Those few ponds are the only ones producing any fish at all. No crappie, Bream or Bass are hitting in any of the rivers, streams or local ponds that aren't Spring Fed.

Below are a few photographs I took on the way to one of those ponds to see if the bass were still hitting there. You can click the image for a larger view of each.

#1 This photo is off part of the Ducks Unlimited Protected (Sunken Lands) about half a mile from my home. It is almost always dry land with an occasional overflow that fills little pockets here and there. NEVER 6 foot of water like you see below:
[inline Usually_Dry_Field.JPG]

#2 The image below is usually a creek with running water during the spring. The creek is usually never more than 3 foot deep in spots and NEVER over 10 foot wide. In the summer it often almost dries up to a trickle. The telephone pole is ALWAYS on dry ground. Now the flood water is at least 6 foot high on it.
[inline 2_foodwide_creek.JPG]

#3 The picture below is of the St. Francis River runoff shute. About a mile up from where this picture is taken there is a spillway, it is fully closed but water is flowing AROUND it and about to completely submerged it. This shute off the St. Francis is one of my favorite Blue Catfishing spots and is usually only 20 to 30 yards wide with sand banks that you can walk along.

The tree in the left of the image is usually ALWAYS on dry ground. Its base is about 8 foot below that current water level. Then the normal river shute flow it another 20 foot out from it toward the center of the photo. This is NOT GOOD.
[inline spillway_river_usually_40yards_wide.JPG]

The local Corps of Engineers have blocked off all levees and you can be arrested or ticketed if caught driving on them because they don't want any vibration on them in hopes to not have a breach.

This flood water is supposed to CREST sometime in the next 24 to 48 hours with another 2 to 4 foot level increase.

It's really horrible to see our favorite local fishing spots just being destroyed this way. Even after this flood water has receded we are going to have at least a foot of pure mud to deal with the rest of the year at least.

Hope others living near the Mississippi are safe make it through this mess we are having to endure.

Tight lines guys....
[signature]
Oh I forgot to add. The pond I went to yesterday when I got those flood images had at least some clearer water because it is spring fed.

I caught about 30 Bass in the 1lb to 3lb range over the afternoon. The largest was 18 inches and over 3lb. Image below:

[inline MAY82011.JPG]
[signature]
thanks for the report, sure hope that pond is on high ground. I was watching the news today where they were showing the river had reached 40 feet above flood stage

gotta hand it to ya, them levies would make me a bit nurvous.
[signature]
Mr. Clown .... the levee would have to break to keep me from fishing.... lol

I don't think that's gonna happen.

I'll update this post today when the water crests.

You of all people know how lucky I am to live in this part of the country. It's going to be a hard year fishing for me now after this flood.

At least three of my favorite ponds have been overrun and have creek water in them now ( WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED).

That church pond that I post most of my big bass from is a LAKE now.

I just hope it hasn't messed up some of my fave spots....

Mother nature does her thing. It makes you realized just how fragile we are. She can do whatever she wants and we just have to clean up afterward.

But.... It's gonna be a mess around here this whole year after this.
[signature]
it was just a couple decades ago when the feds asked the states to stop developing in the hundred year flood plains because the water needs to go some where when it floods.

States through out the country decided to not follow this rule. What can ya do... its like japan building cities and nuke plants in tsunami zones... man has a hard time facing the hard core truth when it comes to his interactions with nature.

I was watching the snakes on the news today, and the deer running in the waters looking for high ground.

I hope things arent to bad for ya, I am kinda guessing that fish swim to the bottoms of lakes and rivers during big floods. I have never seen or heard of dead fish on the ground after floods. Maybe you can be my first hand report after everything settles back in to the basens.

I have been known to fish out on the lake during thunder storms more than once.
Dang man that sucks, nice catch though, glad you are ok.
[signature]
Mike, now that the water has dropped what impact did the high water have on your current fishing conditions?
[signature]
Hi,

It's been very slow fishing. We haven't been catching as many catfish or bass. I think alot of bass didn't even spawn this year.

At some of my favorite ponds I would be catching some .5lb to 1lb bass by now but we aren't catching any this year.

I usually catch good bass all summer long but this year I've gone to some of my ole favorite hunny holes and came home without even a strike, so I guess alot of fish moved to new areas after the flood.
[signature]
any signs of the fish returning to their normal stomping grounds?
[signature]