Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just can't find the right tube.....need help
First major outing of the year last week. Four days of camping and hiking back into some rather remote lakes. Had a great time, caught plenty of fish but could not get comfortable.
Tried a Creek Co. U-Boat, Togiak, and a Water Skeeter. The first two were out of the question. The Uboat made me feel like my backside was constantly slipping forward. and the Togiak felt like I was always leaning too far back.
The Water Skeeter, while not being familiar with the brand at all, was the most comfortable. It had a slight recline to the rear but just enough to be comfortable so it got the highest marks.
I'm now looking at the Super Fat Cat but really hate to shell out that kind of money only to find out that it may not fit any better than some of the others.
I really need the back support due to past back surgeries and the Water Skeeter provides that but I don't want to count the SFC out of the game until I hear from some of the pros.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Water Skeeter and/or the Super Fat Cat in regards to comfort and reliability?
Thanks,
Boz
[signature]
I'm sure TubeDude will chime in here with pics and some good words on how he has his seat setup for himself as well as for TubeBabe. They have dome some extra work for the specific purpose of back support and comfort to help with being on the water for extended periods of time.

For myself, I ruptured my disk between L4 and L5 a number of years back. This has impacted my ability to bend as much as I'd like and I can still cause the nerves to make it feel like the backs of my legs are hurting. So I've been very worried about similar things you are. I have not however been on as many types of craft yet.

My first craft was a Classic Accessories Arrow Backpacker Pontoon. Wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift and I think I really lucked out as far as the seat went. It had a chair that sat on top of the cross frame that looked a lot like this: http://www.rei.com/product/800086/crazy-...chair-2010

This chair had some metal strips in it to give it stiffness vertically in the back but also let it curl horizontally to conform to me as I sat in it. It really worked well for giving me some reasonable support for my lower back where I'm most at risk of fatiguing.

So when I moved on from the toon to a new craft, a Scadden H3 tube, I was a little worried about seat conform. Not because the H3 looked questionable at all, but simply because if the support sucks for my back then I'm in for a lot of discomfort. So I already had in mind that I could augment the back support some on the H3 before I ever even got it out on the water. The H3 has an air filled seat and backrest. It has two straps, like many tubes, to adjust the seat forward or backwards. I find that if I make sure the backrest of firmly filled up the H3 seat as is does a great job and I've not ended up needing to do anything else.

I've been in a SFC as well, though just for a short sit, and I thought it felt similar enough on the back.

This is probably one of the hardest parts to pick a toon or tube for since a short sit in some store on the floor doesn't equal being out on the water for a few hours or more. It's also so much the personal preference that matters vs some spec or detail on how a craft is made.

Anyway watch for some info from TD or PM him directly and you can see what he does for him and TubeBabe. Others I"m sure will be able to add their valuable insight into this too.
[signature]

What kind hiking and remoteness is involved as regards distance, pathways, climbs, etc.? The choices are different if you are using a horse, 4 wheeler or being dropped off by plane instead of packing in. There are many solutions if you are riding in to a drop off, but far fewer if you are carrying on your back.

Pon

[quote Bozwell]First major outing of the year last week. Four days of camping and hiking back into some rather remote lakes. Had a great time, caught plenty of fish but could not get comfortable.
Tried a Creek Co. U-Boat, Togiak, and a Water Skeeter. The first two were out of the question. The Uboat made me feel like my backside was constantly slipping forward. and the Togiak felt like I was always leaning too far back.
The Water Skeeter, while not being familiar with the brand at all, was the most comfortable. It had a slight recline to the rear but just enough to be comfortable so it got the highest marks.
I'm now looking at the Super Fat Cat but really hate to shell out that kind of money only to find out that it may not fit any better than some of the others.
I really need the back support due to past back surgeries and the Water Skeeter provides that but I don't want to count the SFC out of the game until I hear from some of the pros.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Water Skeeter and/or the Super Fat Cat in regards to comfort and reliability?
Thanks,
Boz[/quote]
[signature]
On the seat part try using a plastic lawn chair or other type of chair for back support. I took a plastic lawn chair and cut the legs off and it sits perfectly in mamatrouts FC4. She likes the support that it gives her.

[inline "mamatroutstrickedoutFC4 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Are you looking for a tube that you can backpack into an area with, or just one for trucking to a lake? Is weight an issue?

Have you thought about using some personal back support for activities that are fatiguing such as a --- UFO Back Support aka "turtle shell"?

If weight isn't an issue modify the seat of whatever tube you have with a plastic chair or other seat support.

My husband was able to use my Fish Cat 4 to fish from after a motorcycle accident, but wasn't able to use his pontoon boat, but back and broken ribs were both the issue there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As you are learning, not all tubes are created equal. Ditto for tubers. Folks with different body shapes, injury problems or weight issues will likely have to make some adjustments or modifications to whatever craft they buy. There ain't no "one size fits all" among float tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As has been suggested, having inflatable seats can provide more comfort adjustment options than those with sling seats or rigid foam seats. But as has also been suggested, you can use various add-ons to improve the seating and support.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A major part of the comfort and "surviveability" of any tube is learning how to properly set up the seats and adjustment straps. This often takes a couple of shakedown cruises with frequent trips to the shallows to make minor tweaks. I would be inclined to believe that your discomfort issues on your trial rides were mostly the result of straps not being adjusted for your size and body type...or your personal ride preferences.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, don't judge any craft based upon your first two minute ride. Better to get one that has most of the other features and positives you are looking for. Then work on the comfort factors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The one recommendation I WILL make is to not buy a Water Skeeter Day Tripper.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Does Water Skeeter make a regular tube or just the Day Tripper?
I had a Day Tripper and I am not that big so my response echo's TD's on that tube, BUT, I have several BIG friends and that tube is perfect for them. So again, different tubes, different bodies.

I have had a Caddis, Donut, a U tube, SFC, a Day Tripper, and H3 Freestyle, NFO Navigator II, and an Escape.
I have broke my back in three different spots, so I do feel the pain. I found wearing a back support helps big time. For me, the most comfortable out of all these, for me is the Freestyle, and the Escape, but the Day Tripper was very comfortable, just too many other cons to that tube like the size, the fact it is layered, takes awhile to put it together, the wind resistance, plus the material it is made out of. Main reason I don't have it anymore is the seams split three times.

I know people will say the Escape is too heavy (22 lbs) to pack in, but if you go with the smaller tube, then a chair to make it more comfy....which is more awkward and heavier?

I know I can still do the remote hike ins, even with my back, but a good support makes a big difference. If I could pick ONE float tube for this, it would be HANDS DOWN the H3, but Sadly, they are no longer. The perfect tube to me.
[signature]
This chair is a good solution for those that will be riding in on something and simply dropping off close to the water's edge. The arm rests help take weight off the back in general and the only thing I would add would be an adjustable lumbar support, and maybe a thin closed cell seat cushion if your arse doesn't have enough padding for long time sitting. The adjustable lumbar works good for lower back and was recommended by a PT in my case.

If you are carrying on your back, check out SigHig in the archives, weight is so critical that he was making his own tube with a target weight under 2#! Even then, all the accessories like inflator bag, waders, fins, oars, tackle,etc. will run up the weight quickly and limit your range and agility for rugged hiking. I use the inflatable ODC420L at 7# when carrying in and wish I had something even lighter! Anyway if your issue is lower back, the self inflating lumbar support can't be beat because of low weight, collapsability to tiny volume, fast and easy adjustment, use as a pillow, etc. This is not the one I use, but will give you an idea: http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-8863-...ewpoints=1

It also works with the plastic arm chair seats on a tube, airline seats, and floats if lost in water.

Pon

[quote albinotrout]On the seat part try using a plastic lawn chair or other type of chair for back support. I took a plastic lawn chair and cut the legs off and it sits perfectly in mamatrouts FC4. She likes the support that it gives her.

[/quote]
[signature]
Yea, I wonder how that Tube thing is going for Shig? He was looking at what he thought was a Freestyle H3 a little while ago...then disappointed when he found out it was like my first V tube.
[signature]
We're talking anywhere from 1 1/2 miles up to 2 or 3.
[signature]
There are rumors that Water Skeeter has gone down, though there is still existing stock out there. Maybe best to call their phone number to see if parts are still available, their web site looks dated.

At 64 years and in good shape, I might be able to carry the lightest Skeeter pontoons with accessories (pump, poles, tackle, fins, oars, water, snacks, etc.) 40#? a mile or so on flat paved ground for a day trip. Not for me over rough, hilly or brushy ground, or by making several trips if overnight camping. I could do it I was 21 again, but it still wouldn't be that much fun...

Pon
[signature]
Not rumors, they are history.

I thought you might like this video....also shows the Omega flippers. This is the 10'6" model which only weighs 38 lbs. And it is loaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSEBX-suG...re=related
[signature]
My buddy just sent me this link maybe it would work for you:

http://www.supercat.us/site/412251/page/118491

If you get us give us a report.
[signature]
AHHHH! Denny Rickards boat of choice...he swears by them.
[signature]
The seat and suspension look to be the same as the Discovery Trekker an Asian copycat, except for the footbar:

http://www.4seasonsfly.com/11939/234630/...ekker.html

I do have a set of 5' supercat pontoons that I used when I was experimenting with packing boats, and they are not as rugged as the Trekker (no bladders). My supercat pontoons developed slow leaks over time which were hard to find and repair, plus the valve is immersed in water at all times, and they are very hard to propel because of the block shape. The positives are that they are the lightest and most compact full frame with footbar pontoon with good comfort and lower back support.

I love my Trekker, but there are some design flaws that caused failures which I had to spend time repairing to make a really solid, reliable boat. All straps use brass coated grommets which tend to pull out in high tension areas like the seat back, I replaced with higher quality solid brass and reinforced the straps and connectors. The seat frame is aluminum and has to be reinforced for heavy use, especially if it is adjusted to clear the water so you can go at speed. The straps to the toons tend to collect debris while under power and they can get hung up on rocks you would normally clear easily in a regular pontoon. Still, the boat is much faster at 20# than my 7# ODC420L and the hulls are bulletproof (survived severe collisions with rocks in the middle of narrow, fast moving Colorado streams 3 years ago) and the large bags include velcro rod holders. You have to unfasten the seat at the 2 pivot points to get into regulation luggage, I don't know if that is the same for the supercat seat though I suspect it is....

Pon

[quote orvis1]My buddy just sent me this link maybe it would work for you:

[url "http://www.supercat.us/site/412251/page/118491"]http://www.supercat.us/site/412251/page/118491[/url]

If you get us give us a report.[/quote]
[signature]
You saying the Trekker is NO BLADDER, or the SC?
[signature]
Trekker has high quality bladders, SC no.

P

[quote flygoddess]You saying the Trekker is NO BLADDER, or the SC?[/quote]
[signature]
The Trekker is nice for the price...and Urethane! But is it rowable?
[signature]
Not rowable unless the SC rowing kit fits the frame.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]The Trekker is nice for the price...and Urethane! But is it rowable?[/quote]
[signature]