Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 5/13
Hit Mantua in hopes of breaking my skunk streak at that lake. Fished from 3-5. My dad and I each caught five largemouth in the first hour. When the fishing began to slow, we decided to pack up and leave so I could make baseball practice. I decided to take one more cast and it actually paid off with my first cut from the lake! I thought it was a brown at first but the markings were there on the gills. We caught all our fish on Maniac Cutter bugs in watermelon, and Maniac grubs in watermelon. My hope is to get out and try again tomorrow.
[signature]
That's good news. Sounds like the bass are picking up the action. I knew they put some cutties in there. I'll bet it was pretty good sized! Congrats - when that "last cast" actually pays off! Nice.

Curious - were you fishing from shore, or boat? What part of the lake? Gonna have to head down there soon, before it gets too weedy!
I fished from the shore, I Sadly could not bring my pontoon. I thought I loaded the picture, but it apparently did not work.
[signature]
quick question...can you drive around the lake? im asking cuz i have a small boat i carry in my tailgate and wanted to see if i can launch from anywhere on the lake or only on boat ramps?
[signature]
You can drive around to the northeast side and put in there. I used to launch my pontoon where the inlet is. Haven't been down there in a while, but I think they were in the process of putting in a smaller launch there.
[signature]
There is a new launch area at the inlet. They just finished it this last month. It has a parking area as well as bathrooms. Just drive up the south bank.( go straight past the boat ramps)to the parking area, the lauch road is to the left follow the inlet canal.
[signature]
Thanks for that little update. Good to know.
[signature]
[bobhappy]
It's not that big a body of water Coyote! Get out and explore it with your new boat.
[signature]
we drove around the north end a couple weeks back, The road out is a bit bumpy, but not too bad (I could imagine it being a hell of a mudhole in wet weather). Nice parking area, bathroom, dock. Not sure how new, but I'm guessing it went in last fall.

The road over almost looks like it's a farmer's driveway (so my kid thought) but it goes on around the lake. Just a bit north of the main road from the freeway - beyond the newer parking area along the dike.

You could launch a tube or canoe (or crawdad) easy enough. Though I'd think if they cleared some brush next to the dock, and threw down some gravel - it's be easier. Is there actually a ramp at the south end, or just an "access area"? I'd suppose it's not "trailer friendly".

Some of the best bassin' I found last spring was along the edges from "the point" towards the back corner.
But what do I know about bass, or bluegills.
Nice fish!
There is a new Dock at the inlet(south end) They dug out the small bay area in the inlet spot then piled in some round rock and some heavy screen to keep it in place. At the end of the rock, is a dock floating about 20 feet into the water. Toon launch is possible on either side of the dock. There is no ramp there. Not sure what they were thinking, why a dock with no ramp?
Give it a look next time you go. tell me what you think..
I also put in at the north area. Good fishing all in there and across to the south. Looking forward to this weather to calm down a bit.
[signature]
The old boat's gotten us around that body pretty well. Heck - we even went Tubing last summer! Gotta try that before the weeds get too thick! Boy'll come out looking like the SwampThing!

I'm looking forward to the summer's bluegill boils! That was a blast last year! Talk about some frisky fish!
From my understanding the two new ramps are not for launching boats the original boat dock is the only place you can launch a boat.

The other two ramps are considered view areas both roads have boulders blocking the the ramps to back a trailer into, but make for great areas to lunch a toon, tube or canoe.
[signature]
The new areas are nice, I'm still Confused why Mantua needs 3 places to put in a tube or small boat. Something that small does not need that many places to put in. Mantua is about as simple as it gets for access and launching, and its not like its that large of a body of water. It gets enough pressure as it is, I was a bit disappointed to see them do that.
[signature]
Ditto.

These last few years they sure seem to be doing their best (along with the hoards of water skiers) to ruin that once great little pond. Major pressure on it these days.
[signature]
If you have ever been blown off Mantua, you will appreciate the new places that you can use to get off the water.
The parking lot there is small so these extra spots will be nice.

I don't see Mantua as getting over fished at all.
In fact I see fish that are stunting there like the Perch.

My wish for Mantua would be that it become a wakeless water for safety.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here is an updated Mantua map...reflective of the changes in access.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]See ya on the water again this year?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice[cool]
[signature]
I had a Colorado 9' pontoon that I used to launch from the inlet. Those rocks are placed just right enough to cause a little pain for me getting that size of a toon through it, but I managed. Any smaller toon wouldn't have any issues at all, but the 9-footers might have to weasel their way through. Just a heads up.
[signature]
did they put a new ramp on the north east side of the lake or is your map off by a few hundred feet?

The ramp accessed by Indian Trails Road is located at about the "i" in Indian on your map if I remember correctly. I think I do remember correctly as that is my favorite access point on the lake.
[signature]
[quote chickendude1234]
The ramp accessed by Indian Trails Road is located at about the "i" in Indian on your map if I remember correctly. I think I do remember correctly as that is my favorite access point on the lake.[/quote]

just curious was that suppose to sound as assy as it did?
[signature]