Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60 something Evenrude-First time Owner
So a friend and I just went on a boat together, and I have to admit, I know little to nothing about boat maintenance. I have a few questions that I would appreciate if someone could help me with. The oil for the lower compartment, would I use the same oil as I would for a car engine, or is there some other special oil? Also, the oil that goes in the gas, what kind of oil do I use there. Thanks for the help.
[signature]
The oil you use in your car engine should not get anywhere near your outboard. They make a special oil for the lower unit. Ask at a boat shop and they can get you set up with the right oil. They sell a two-cycle oil that one mixes with the gas. It can also be purchased at the same boat shop.
[signature]
Thanks for your help. As you can tell by my question, I am completely new at this and you probably just saved me a load of heartache.
[signature]
The best way to find out what you will need at your local boat shop is with the model number and horsepower of your outboard. As Johnson/Evinrude have electric shift and mechanical shift lower units, both of which require a different gear lube. The gas to oil ratio that you will mix in the tank is 50:1 or 16 oz to 6 gallons use a good quality 2 stroke oil, buy an economeasure for mixing gas and oil it makes this a lot easier.
[signature]
So is the "60s" in reference to the age, or the HP?

I've been subjected to new newbie mishaps with outboard motors. You've got good advice on the oil and gas.
There's a marine shop at either end of the valley - Don's north of Smithfield, and Lee's over in Hyrum.

Do not run old or bad gas through a 2-cycle. That can cause some heartache. (just ask my old chainsaw!) I've been told even with stabilizer, the gas can/will get sour.
If the motor has been stored, or if you don't know when it was last done - you might want to change, or have-changed the Impeller. It feeds water into the water pump which cools the engine.
I've got a couple engines I lost compression on, and was told "they aren't worth fixing". But in talking with some mechanical buddies - have learned you can get them fixed (working on that now). But easier to prevent for sure! I guess the impeller can get hard, or bent out of shape and not work right.

Another - don't run the engine out of water. Either plunk it in a bucket or garbage can, or you can get "ear muffs" which hook up to a hose, and have a rubber suction cup like end that fits over the water intake. Your engine might have an intake on one side or both. They make single/double muffs.

I learned recently - when you're done with a trip, before you pull the motor out of the water (probably after you're on your trailer, but before you pull forward) - disconnect the gas line and let the motor run till it quits. Supposed to make it worlds easier to start next time around.

I'm no mechanic, nor would claim to be. But I do have a service manual for Evinrude/Johnson motors. You're welcome to check it out sometime if you want. It shows things beyond my understanding of motors/electronics. But some of the basics, like changing the gear oil, or a lube job, swapping an impeller - basic maintenance items you don't want to pay someone $80/hr to do!

At the very least - clean the spark plug contacts, better - put in new spark plugs. Small cost, big benefit.
Oh - and I was told do NOT spray "starter fluid" into the carb to get it going. No lubrication - bad news.
Having a fire extinguisher might not be "required" for an outboard, but makes good sense.

These old motors are tanks when taken care of. That last part is what I'm still slowly (and painfully) learning about. Winterizing is another story I don't know fully. . . . Fogging spray. Or store it inside if you can.