Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED HELP 1976 Evinrude 115 hp
My motor will start and idle just fine, but when i put the throttle down it picks up to full speed for about 30 sec then goes down to about 7 mph. I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it completely twice, but no change. If I mist the top carb with starting fluid while I have it at full throttle it picks up and runs full speed. Any suggestions.
[signature]
Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb when it is acting up? If squeezing the primer bulb helps it run better than I would look at the fuel pump or an air leak in the fuel supply system. You may even try running it on a auxillary fuel tank temporarily to see if that helps.
[signature]
I have tried it on a couple different auxilury tanks and it helped for a while. When I pump the bulb it will pick up but only for a few seconds. Is the fuel pump just the flat piece on the side?
[signature]
Yes it is kind of flat it may even have a triangular shape on one end.
[signature]
+1 to Mercuryman's comment about making sure your fuel lines and connections are tight. Those hoses get old and hard and can let air leak in particularly at the connections. It's a fairly cheap job to replace the hoses and clamps to ensure you aren't getting air into your fuel lines.
[signature]