Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why carp jump?
i have found a number of reasons why they jump completely out of the water. some seem plausible, others not so much. here is what i have come up with:

1. Since carp are bottom feeders ,it is generally accepted that when they jump they are removing mud and silt from thier gills

2.carp will jump alot if they get fish lice the lice will head for the gill covers and feed inside. the carp jump out of the water to dislodge them

3. Irritation caused by flukes

4. carp jump out of the water after every loud noise

5. to dislodge eggs (like salmonids do)

6. do it for fun sometimes

7. I'd personally like to think they are being chased by a 60lb striper wishfull thinking i know. one could only dream[angelic]
[signature]
That is a very debatable subject, and one I don't think anyone could answer with any degree of certainty.

I theorize that it has something to do with parasites, the mud theory, or just having fun. I have observed this behavior in carp for years very curiously, and it seems so often that they are doing nothing, just sitting there, not swimming, not feeding, just suspended in the water, more or less near the surface, and then all of a sudden, they breach like Willy. And so often, the style of jump mimics a whale breaching more than it does a typical gamefish jump.

I have also spooked large and small schools of carp more times than I could count, and never once have I observed a carp jumping out of the water out of fear of my boat or body, save for the few instances that those fish were in less than a foot of water.

So I think the "carp jump out of the water after every loud noise" theory is out.

I also have not noticed a big problem with parasites on the carp, so it is possible, but I doubt that it is the case for our Mead fish.

I really think the most logical thought would be removing silt and mud from their gills and mouth, and for pure fun.

Stoopid carp. They are like the big, dumb retard of the playground. Big, dumb, and fun to play ball with, cause he can sure swing that bat...
[signature]
Although, if you watch the famous carp of the Illinois river, the so-called flying fish, these guys starts jumping a few feet in the air as soon as a boat motor starts up. Those particular carp are certainly jumping due to noise/commotion....

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI[/url]
[signature]
they jump to clean silt from feeding off the bottom from the gills. muddy gills kills.
[signature]
I see them come out of the water in all different ways. I hear and see fish jump and splash all the time. When I do actually get a glimpse of them, they are Gold every time. I like when they kind of just poke their heads out, straight up and straight back down.

"Gold every time"
[signature]