Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dough bait recipies
[cool][size 1] Hey fellow anglers,

I am looking for some dough bait recipies. Could you help me out?? Just think, there may be other readers out there that would like some recipies but are too shy to ask. Lets do it for their benifit as well. Thanks a bunch.[cool] [/size]
[signature]
I will help u out I will look up into for u for some reciepes for u and help u out whenever u need it[Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Hey there surfcaster03, thanks for the writeback and for offering to help. I will keep an eye out for your replies. Have a good day and happy fishing.[Wink]
[signature]
I have a question what kind of bait and is it a fish? I need to know so I can look it up and I would like to help you[Smile]
[signature]
I found the recipie and I will give it to you later on becuase I can't copy and paste it but I have to do it when iI go home. I am at my school library so i have to do it when I go home and I will give it to you as soon as possible.
[signature]
[Image: ball10.gif]DOUGH BAIT
Mix flour and water to form a pasty dough. Add your favorite flavoring, anise oil, commercial catfish scents, rotten fish, blood, rancid cheese, etc. Then roll it up into balls and store in a sealed container.You might try this to, which will also chum in carp. Put flour, cornmeal and creamed style corn in a large mixing bowl. Pour pineapple juice into the flour mixture, mix it, and make a dough. Continue to add flour and pineapple juice until you form a large ball of dough. Next pour in uncooked rice, and squeeze into the dough. Put the dough in a large Ziploc-freezer bag, and take it to where you plan to fish. Or, you can mix together canned sweet potatoes or yams with the pineapple juice and other ingredients.

Hopefuly this helps and if not I will still search[Smile]
[signature]
These are trout bait recipies Answers [indent]I looked through some books i have and here are a few i found. One is from steelhead.com.

Dough Ball recipe

1/2 cup corn meal

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup white Karo syrup

2/3 cup water

3 tablespoons water optional

3 tablespoons Peanut butter (optional)

Oil scents can be substituted for peanut butter

Cotton ball fibers Marshmallow creme (optional to add floatation)

food coloring (to get desired color)

On low heat mix water, syrup, food coloring, and peanut butter. (or oil substitute) After mixing corn meal and flour together slowly add to liquid while stirring. Stir while cooking until thick or water is gone. Mixture can be blended with marshmallow creme for floating baits. After mixture cools add cotton ball fibers to keep baits together.

One that will stay on the hook and can be cast into the swiftest water without difficulty, yet is soft enough for a delicate hook set, consists of equal parts of yellow corn meal and white flour mixed together plus enough water to give the mixture the consistency of biscuit dough. The mixture is dropped into boiling water a spoonful at a time and allowed to cook for 5 minutes or until it is cooked throughout. It can be tested by removing a good-sized lump and breaking it open; when the doughball is yellow clear through, it is done and can be removed from the boiling water to cool. As soon as it cools enough to be handled, all of the dough lumps are kneaded together into a large ball from which individual baits are pinched, as needed.

A favorite recipe among western Iowa anglers is:

2 cups of corn meal and 1 cup of flour mixed together.

one-half package of jello, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla into a pint of boiling water. Add the corn meal-flour mix to the jello. Remove and let it cool. Knead the dough bait into a single ball and wrap it in aluminum foil for refrigeration.

You should be aware that dough bait used in cold water -- below 55DoU F should be fairly soft since there is a tendency for it to become firmer when immersed in cold water. Likewise, dough baits kept in the refrigerator and then cast into warm water may become too soft. Additional flour will add firmness under these conditions. Also bits of marshmallow were suggested. I hope this helps.

Small baits are usually considered the best for carp. Some anglers prefer a small, round ball of bait placed on the tip of the hook only, while others use a pear-shaped bait and cover the entire hook. Both methods give excellent results.

[Wink]These are all recipies I am giving you hopes this helps[/indent]
[signature]
Carp Recipies and other ones

The simplest of all doughbaits is some bread squeezed on a hook. Adding some type of flavoring (vanilla or anise, etc.) or attractant directly to the bread or dipping it in canned corn juice after squeezing it on the hook gives you an instant sort of doughball. Then there is the infamous recipe of crushed up Wheaties cereal mixed with strawberry pop. Many types of animal and pet foods as well as breakfast cereals and crackers (Strawberry Mini Wheats, Corn Flakes, Corn Pops, Oatmeal, Rye Krisp crackers, etc.) can be crushed up and by mixing in water, a fairly instant doughball can be created. The cardboard tubes of biscuit dough from the freezer section of the grocery store also make a good doughbait either alone or mixed with other ingredients. Occasionally, you can also find some ready-made carp dough baits and pastes available at tackle stores. But so far, the carp have proven to be too smart for Berkley to come up with a carp formula power bait that carp will eat consistently. So, us carp anglers are left to come up with our own power bait brews of sorts.

Most doughballs are made from scratch with a variety of ingredients that can be gotten from a grocery store, health store or feed store. The majority of baits are cooked. Basically you use 1 cup of cornmeal to 1 to 2 cups of boiled water as a base recipe depending on how soft or firm you want the bait and what brand of cornmeal you use. I mostly use Quaker cornmeal. Then you go from there and add other ingredients, adjusting the dry and wet quantities accordingly as indicated by the recipes.

Note: Cornmeal doughball can be stored in the refrigerator before use and in between use and will usually last up to 1 to 3 weeks. Do not freeze cornmeal doughball. If you do, it will become wet and crumbly and be useless as hookbait.

What follows is a list of a number of cornmeal doughball recipes that I have collected over the years:

Cornmeal Carp Bait
Boil 1 pint of water in saucepan
Mix 2 cups of cornmeal and 1 cup of flour together in a bowl
Add 1/2 package of gelatin to boiling water (any flavor)
Put burner on low and add 2 tablespoons (tbsp.) sugar and I tbsp. of vanilla flavor.
With a large spoon cover the surface of the water with the cornmeal and flour mixture. A bubble of water will come through. Cover the bubble with cornmeal. Another bubble will come through (cover again). over the bubbles until the cornmeal/flour mix is gone. Stir dough mixture for about 30 seconds. Remove pan from the stove and dump dough onto foil. Knead the dough as soon as it is cool enough, then roll into a ball. Wrap dough in foil, and refrigerate. (Keeps about a week)

Doughball Delight
Blend together 1 cup of water, 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla, 1 tbsp. honey, and 4 tbsp. sugar in a medium-sized pot, over medium heat. When mixture starts to boil, slowly sprinkle in 1 cup of yellow cornmeal. Stir mixture quickly and thoroughly for about 3 min. until it becomes a firm doughy consistency. Remove from heat and put dough on a dinner plate. Press the dough flat and let it cool for 1 or 2 min. then turn it over and let the other side cool. Work the dough in your hand for a minute, then place it in a plastic bag and seal it.

Bouncing Doughball
2 cups flour
2 cups cornmeal (Quaker)
2 cups water

Put into an old pot and stir into a paste. Cook, flatten, and stir until mixture becomes thick. Add I tbsp. vanilla, 4 tbsp. Karo dark syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook, flatten, and stir until thick again. For desired consistency, make a little ball out of the mixture, drop it and if it doesn’t bounce an inch or two, continue cooking until it does.

Jell-O Doughball
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add three tbsp. of strawberry flavored Jell-O, then slowly add, while stirring a mixture of two cups of yellow cornmeal and one cup of flour. Now, turn down the heat and stir while cooking for about five minutes. Let the dough cool thoroughly before refrigerating in a plastic bag.

Other Ingredients and Recipes
The above recipes do not even begin to scratch the surface (as the saying goes) of carp bait possibilities. There are many other kinds of baking ingredients, grains, sweeteners, and flavorings that can be used for making doughball. Anything from rice to various other kinds of wheat and corn grains, some of which have been mentioned in previous NACA articles. Some not. The list is endless. There are probably many more yet undiscovered ingredients that have yet to be considered. The above doughball recipes should give the newcomer to carping or using doughball a place to start experimenting with bait, and for those more experienced that have used other baits, something new to try and expand on. By replacing the water with eggs in many of the above recipes, boilies, which are only "hard doughballs" after all, can be made. Read the rest of the article with even more bait recipes in the NACA.
[signature]
[center]Dough Bait Recipes[/url][/center]

Wheaties & Big Red
Mix Wheaties Cereal and Big Red Soda into
a dough with a consistency that allows
molding the dough into balls. Make a
small ball that just barely covers a small
treble hook.

Doughballs
1 c. water
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. cornmeal
3/4 c. flour
Bring water and sugar to a boil. Lower heat, add cornmeal and flour and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Cover and put in double boiler. Cook for 1/2 hour. If too thick, add water. If too thin, add flour. Form into small balls.

Drop Doughballs
1 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
Enough water to make dough
Mix ingredients and form into balls smaller than used for bait. Drop into boiling water. Cook 15-20 minutes. Drain.

Wheat Bran Balls
1 c. flour
2 cups wheat bran
2 T. sweetener (sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup)
Enough water for stiff dough
Mix ingredients and knead. Form into small balls. Cook in boiling water 15-20 minutes. Drain, cool.

Potato Balls
2 large potatoes (peeled & grated)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. cornmeal
2 T. sweetener (sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup)
Enough water to make stiff dough
Mix ingredients. Roll into balls. Drop into boiling water. Cook until they float.

Other things carp like:
Carp have a "sweet tooth," so use any sweetener in your own dough bait recipes. In addition, carp like whole grains (cooked), potatoes, carrots, parsnips (boiled), corn, green peas, limas, marshmallows and gumdrops.
[signature]
I hope this all helps you out. Good Luck[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]Wow! Thank you there surfcaster03. That is alot of research that you have done. I appreciate it very much and I will let you know of any success. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.
[signature]
Yes please tell me if it works. Glad I helped out[Wink]. Have a great day and good luck[Smile]
[signature]