Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpackin' the Boulders
Liking to do some back packing this year and with the snow pack in the juntas gone ballistic I am wondering how the boulder Mtn's are fairing. I will be traveling with my 10 year old son so wondering of a good hike for us and to what lake? Also how is the snow pack down there as well? Thanks.
[signature]
I use the Utah Snotel website all the time when planning my escapades. The one you want is here: [url "http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=452&state=ut"]http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=452&state=ut[/url] . The main Utah Snotel site is here: [url "http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Utah/utah.html"]http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Utah/utah.html[/url]

My wifes family is from Bicknell so I fish down on Boulder a fair amount, some of those lakes around on the east end are always worth a try.
[signature]
Besides Snotel, I also use the satellite pictures on
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery.php

here is one from Sat in false color
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/data/ima...00_721.jpg
(After it loads click on it and it will zoom in some.)
In the false color settings, the snow and ice show up as a blue green color. You can then approximate where the snow level is etc.
[signature]
Thanks. Looking at the imagery the Uintas are showing lots of snow and the boulder area is showing quite less. Now to find a lake to hike into. Never been to the boulder mountains before so this can turn into a fun adventure.[cool]
[signature]
I was there last weekend and anything above 9,000 feet was still locked up. Lakes that are usually ice free a month ago are still iced over. Plan on the boulders being at least a full month behind normal schedule when planning your trips.
[signature]
Ha! Had a buddy fly it last week. Looked like aerial photos of the tundra!
[signature]
Good to know. I am thinking about the last week of June for our trip.
[signature]
Ok I got some good information and it looks like Blind lake will be the place to go. Now I see that pear lake is close by. Any info on this lake? Looks like a nice day hike from where we will set up camp. My son is stoked and is looking forward to this. So am I. Now to figure out how to get the float tubes into the packs with all out other gear.[Wink]
[signature]
Yup, that's the problem. When you pack in a tube and the other related items, there's no room for food, a tent, or a sleeping bag. But trust me, the Boulder without a tube sucks. Try and find a central campsite close to the road that can be your "base" camp. Blind is close enough that you could camp there and make two trips to get all your gear there and trek out from there to surrounding lakes with your tube and fishing gear. Don't forget Blind is great fishing itself.
[signature]
i fished pear lake 2 years ago and it was like standing moss way dirty and nevery got a bite i dont think there are any fish in that 1 but if i remeber right if you stay on that trail there is another lake not to far from there that has splake and a bunch of other fish. we mostly fished blind and it was really good for cutts good luck and take winter gear as it snowed on us in the middle of july haha
[signature]
[quote steve_o] take winter gear as it snowed on us in the middle of july haha[/quote]

Gee sounds just like the Uintas. [laugh]
[signature]
I have two caddis tubes one round and one u boat that can pack pretty small. Since I have a month I am going to take these and see how I can get them in to the packs. I also have a set of pack fins. I already figured out how to attach my sons fins to his pack yesterday. My pack is large enough I might be able to carry both of them folded up, but we will see.[cool]
[signature]
Hey I don't know if the boulder area is designated wilderness or not, but if it isn't my brother and I use a single wheel deer cart to put our toons and tubes in for us and the kids it works great. I usually skip the fins for the back country stuff the lakes aren't that big that you can't just kick your feet and get you where you need to be. Have fun we enjoy that trip almost more than any other all year.
[signature]
Blind is pretty big. If you dont' have fins, you'll be screwed.

Also -- what about your waders? You wouldn't be considering going "commando" would you? If so, you're nuts. The water in Blind is too cold not to have your neoprene's.

Pear used to be a fantastic fishery. Unfortunately, the spring to Pear appears to be drying up, and water levels in Pear have dropped. Quality has gone downhill. There should be some grayling in Pear, depending on whether or not they make it through the winter.
[signature]
Can we turn this conversation into PM's. I'll gladly share some info with you but not on a public forum. PM me if you would like some info. I have trips to Boulders planned for June and late September. But if you want the fishery to remain strong, lets not discuss specific lakes on here please, besides Blind. Thanks.
[signature]
You could always drive to up in the trial head area and set up a base camp. You could visit several lakes in the area. If you plan on tubing you want to make sure you have fins and neoprene waders for sure. Boulders water is awful frigid! Honestly you could spend the whole weekend at the lake you are considering and have a great time. Enjoy your trip!
[signature]
I was offering comments in general on my experience back country tubing I'm not familiar with any lakes in the Boulder range. Also on waders I just take my breathables they are light weight and I only got hypothermic one time when the fish were biting and I stayed out too long. We usually do our trips mid summer also. Plus I've moved to a kick boat toon now so I'm out of the water except for my feet. I think a toon on a back country lake is one of the top high lights of life I think it's better than an Alaska trip.. Do it once and it will become a family tradition.
[signature]
Really???? WOW!
[signature]
Really!! YES!! You have a problem with that I take it? Hard to tell with your very enlightening 2 word reply.
[signature]
And I agree. Float tubing small alpine lakes that you have to hike into and that you have to yourself is one of the top experiences a fisherman can have. A reason why I believe specific lakes in general should be discussed by PM.

But most of us have learned the mountain by making several trips with friends and comparing notes. Every trip we are able to find one or two lakes that fish really well. Just hit an area with 3-6 lakes in close proximity and fish away.
[signature]