Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter time storage of the float gear
Okay all you tube-eficianado's out there. Being this is my first year tubing and the Utah winter is fast approaching, another simple question comes to mind... How do I store these things tubes and waders?! I am planning on storing them indoors but my wife needs to put them in a box to shelf easier. Any suggestions?? I know there will be some.
[signature]

Hey there One_eyed_jack,

To eliminate all the hassle, I suggest you move out here to Califoria! We have been known to be able to fish some of our lake and ocean waters 365 days a year! I'm sure you could find time between trips to write the wife about the snow conditions in Utah! just joking.

There are special wader hangers but I'll bet TubeDude has an even better idea. If you've got the neoprene foam waders my biggest concern would be that they are stored dry so as not to milldew. Same deal with the tube and keep it out of constant direct sunlight. Once a float tube is out of the box I don't like to try to fold it like it may have come from the factory. Creases in cloth, vinyl and rubber become weak spots in time and with wear and you don't need any more potential problems with your air chamber (rubber or vinyl) or cover.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey JR, You do have a point there. One eyed Jack needs to come to Cali. If OEJ can hurry I can take him to Castaic before it closes. You don't even need your waders yet. Water temps are only 74 in the morning and a nice 80deg by noon. Come on down OEJ. You are welcome here anytime.[cool] Don't ferget yer tannin lotion. hee hee
[signature]
I would first make sure float is completley deflated with valves left open.

Make sure both waders and float tube are clean and dry.

Kmart, Target and Walmart sell these plastic boxes with lids that are perfect to store equipment without damaging it. The mark it it and put it away until it warms up.

Then move to California and unpack![Wink]
[signature]
Here in Utah, you should be able to get some year around use with it!!!

You can use it as a snow tube for those tubing hills!!![cool]

Hook a rope to it and use it as carrying sled on our ice fishing trips!!![cool]

We can take a chain saw and cut a huge hole in Strawberry and you can pretend it is summer!!![unsure] See there is more to do with your tube in winter than in summer!!! j/k

Just make sure it is in a dry location out of direct sunlight and it will be fine, and look to move to California!!! All I need is just a little motivation and I am gone!!!
[signature]
[cool] Hey there polokid, I would watch those bare feet if I were going to tube in the Berry in the winter. Ha Ha LOL.
[signature]
[cool]MAN...I leave Utah for awhile and everybody goes wimpy. Just how cold does it have to get to chase you off the water? HM-M-M-M?

I used to launch as long as I could get out through the skim ice, and hit the water as soon as there was a wide enough lead around the edge to get the tube out to cast the edges of the ice. Then again, I got married too, so I guess I ain't always wrapped too tight.

Seriously, if you are serious about some of the best fishing of the year, don't put your gear in mothballs until the chunky lady warbles...or turns blue. Some of my best days on the water, and some of my biggest fish of several species have come just before iceup and right at iceout. Here's a pic from early December one year on Yuba. Caught several nice walleyes and some 14" yellow perch that day. Also got frostbite and crotch cramps, but had a great time getting them.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0162682.jpg]

By the way, the pic was taken by a wimp in our crowd...from his boat. He just wanted a shot to show the rest of our group how dumb we were.

If you ever have to pack and store your stuff, consider how long you will be storing it and whether or not it will need protection...as in for a move. To simply get it out of the way for the winter, no problem. As you have already been advised by our knowledgeable staff here, make sure everything is thoroughly dry, dry, dry. Mildew and or ice damage is to be avoided.

If you have the room, on top of a shelf someplace, you can just lay everything out flat, with nothing on top of it. Or, if you have some big hanger hooks...either from the ceiling of the garage or on the walls, partially deflate the tube and just let it hang around until you are ready for it again.

If you are going to store it in a box, I prefer to roll it, rather than folding. As JR suggested, tight folds, for too long a period, can create weak points in rubber and neoprene. There were also a couple of other good suggestions for the box method...like shipping to a warmer climate.

One of the other things you can do with your float tube is use is as a combo sled and safety device for ice fishing excursions. I used to keep a well worn tube to tow along out on the ice. A bucket fits down in the round tubes and you can have your rod rack and sonar all rigged up to just drop in a hole. More importantly, if you wander onto thin ice, and fall through, the donut can save your life...or someone else if they go through nearby.

As a final suggestion, you may want to get your wife in for counseling. It is obvious that she does not have her priorities straight on how marriage works with a fisherman. If all else fails, drop the hint that the DWR is combining forces with the other state government offices and that marriage licenses are going to be like fishing licenses...renewable every year.

You probably already have a good idea of how you are going to handle it. Hope we were some help.
[signature]
I've always just done exactly what TubeDude said. I completely deflated my tube (rubber), left it in the cover and just rolled it up and put it in a cardboard apple box that I got from the grocery store. I have never had a puncture or weak spot in my tube, and I got it in 1996 or 1997. I stored it this way for two years when I left the country to go to Nicaragua for a religious (LDS) proselyting mission. No problem. That last two years I've only used it once each summer, but it got lots of use the first 2 or 3 years I had it. My waders I've had a year longer than that, and they're looking pretty Sad. They're 3mm Neoprene Remington waders. Never had much problem with them until this year. Yeah, I've patched a hole or two but nothing major. Last week at the second perch party though, when I got out of them from being in the tube at Jordanelle all day, I was wet from the waist down to my toes. Not sure what is leaking, but I've been using aquaseal on all the seams to see if that's the problem. I've always just rolled up my waders and put them in a box all winter too.
[signature]
Yep, I am a wimp, especialy when it comes to submerrging my body into icy waters. But on a good note the tubes will not go into hibernation for at least a month or so. Now the wife thing... She understand as she is a fishing person also the problem is that I have a 19' boat infront of the garage and all my fishing stuff behind it in the garage in her parking spot; plus I make her park out side and I take the garage. Sooo... you see, I have a little dilema here... So now I am moving all the stuff into her craft room [Wink]. hehehe. This has all been great advice and very useful to me. Thank you BFT'ers!
[signature]
[cool]Wellllllll...as long as you already have a fair chunk of the garage allocated to important stuff, I guess it's okay to make a concession or two.

In some households where fishing is not spoken on both sides of the table, the guys have to wimp out to maintain domestic tranquility sometimes.

I heard a guy say a while back 'IF WOMEN WERE AS SMART AS THEY THINK THEY ARE, THEY WOULD OWN THE OTHER 10% OF THE NATION'S WEALTH."
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Cat Dude, rather than just gooping up the seams on your waders, have you tried the fill up with water routine?

If you are unfamiliar with that, make sure the outside is dry and then go out on dry grass and have someone run the hose when you tell them to turn it on. Fill one leg of the waders and stand by with a permanent marker. If you see a leak, mark it for repair...inside and out...with the aquaseal.

Have your assistant shut off the water as soon as you have about half of the first leg full, and keep it upright to avoid spilling any over the outside. Then you can tip up the foot to get the water higher..looking for more leaks. Next, work the water over the crotch and down into the other leg for a test of that one. Last, hold the top opening up and lift up both legs to put the weight of the water on the crotch seam. Again look for leaks and mark them.

It's amazing how many tiny little holes you can find in used neoprenes. And it is amazing how much water can come in through those tiny holes during a fishing trip. When the outside water is not too cold you are okay. But, when the water temp gets down below about 50 degrees, if you get wet you will get darned cold. Fun cannot be enjoyed with a side dish of hypothermia.
[signature]
[size 2] I prefer the plastic box because it has a non-removable lid which is easy to open and close. [/size]

[size 2] It is clear so you can see through it and you can stack other boxes on top of it necessary.[/size]

[size 2] And there is less of a chance of the tube or gear getting lost or damaged. Works for me[Wink][/size]

[size 2] [/size]

[size 2][/size]
[signature]
Thanks, TubeDude. I have filled them up once before to find a hole that I knew was there. I hadn't really thought of doing it now though. The problem is I don't have a hose. I live in a condo complex, and I'm lucky if I even have a yard. It's better than some condo areas though. I'll have to take them over to my parents house and do it there. I'm hoping I can get a couple of more years out of them before I have to get new ones. For me, it seems like EVERYTHING I want to buy has to wait "a couple more years" because that's when I graduate from school and I'll be able (hopefully) to afford a few more things. Thanks again.
[signature]
[cool]You can do it in the shower, as long as you do not hold onto the shower head and bring the whole thing down. A leg full of water is heavy. It is also more cramped, poorer light, and more likely to get water drops on the outside which messes up your search for holes.

Oh yeah, if you make a big mess, it can change your dinner menu to hot Tongue and cold shoulder.
[signature]
HAHA! LOL TD, I didn't read this until today (Mon) but I did go home and fill them up in the tub. In fact, I did make a mess too, didn't realize there was that much mud on them...it didn't show until the water washed it into the tub!! LOL Good thing I cleaned it up before she saw it! [Wink] I found several spots on the seams that was leaking, and a couple of "invisible" holes as well. I've patched the inside, but not the outside yet. Thanks again for the suggestions. The funny thing, that I didn't expect my wife to say, was, "Why don't you just go buy some new ones instead?" Wow. She's telling me to go spend some money on it! Lucky me! I don't like wasting though, so I'll make them last another year or so if I can. LOL
[signature]
You could say to your wife . . . "I don't need new ones right now, I'd rather spend the money on a romantic dinner."

The purpose of this comment is 2-fold. 1) It reinforces the Mrs. to offer to buy fishing things. 2) She will have the perception that she matters more than fishing.

If my wife is by chance reading this . . . How's Macaroni Grill sound for dinner???? I'll get the baby sitter.

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
[size 2] You can reach EmuScud at:[/size]

[size 2]EmuScud@mywifetookeverything.divorced.com[Wink][shocked][/size]
[signature]
I have always wanted to do the right be for ice trip myself, but cant find anyone else " with a brain or with out" what ever way you want to look at it to go with me. That is one tube trip I dont want to do alone!!! But I could just imagine what kind of bite would be going on at strawberry right before the ice!!!
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool][cool] LOL! Just as long as she doesn't take the fishing stuff[Wink]. I like to joke around a bit. On a more serious side, my wife and kiddies come first in my house. Ironically, I'm a trained marriage counselor. I even have the black and white shirt with the whistle to prove it (they handed them out the first week of class).

Happy fishing!

ES
[signature]
LOL Emuscud! I know exactly what you mean! Earn some bonus points for later, even though the current waders work great with a little patching up! Nice technique! Just hope your wife doesn't catch on to you or she might just find a way to sell off all your fishing stuff on ebay while you're at work! lol
[signature]