Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oar locks
My sister gave me a pontoon boat. I took it out for a little "run" on the family pond. I did not like how it handled with the oars and oarlocks it came with. Will the item below help me? It is an "Arrow" backpack pontoon boat. Low end boat it was brand new and free! I did great with the fins, but the oars stunk! Keep in mind that this was my first time every rowing a pontoon. Thanks for any advice!

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-582...bAod7BHKTg
[signature]
You would have to make sure the post is long enough and the diameter of the clamp and the oar.
What kind have you got now? Can't tell from the pictures.
I had this kind on my NFO Navigator II and my Bucks Bag Alpine. Pretty sweet.
[signature]
What kind of problem were you having with the oars? Do you have a picture of the setup as it is now?
[signature]
I was going to ask that too. Plus are your feet out of the water on the foot rest. Reason I ask, is I at times do row with my feet still in the water, and it does make it a little tougher.
[signature]
In the pontoon learning curve rowing is among the harder skills to master. Your arms are of a very different strength so that alone makes you row crooked at first. Now when you mis in the wind turning your craft every witch way and you're in for a bit of a learning curve.

Just concentrate on actually not rowing the same strength in each oar. When you load up your oars ( I mean lean forward to gather yourself for the pull stroke) everything feels equal but as you pull them back the craft will go harder one way or the other. You only need to notice which way off of straight it wants to go and let up on that hand so you are then rowing straight.

Man that might not make any sense at all but it will only take a few days on the water before you're rowing perfectly.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the help on the oarlocks. I found a set at Gander Mountain. With the help of a roll of duct tape, I am in business! I boat handles great! I took Fly Goddess advice and rested my fins on the foot rest. Less drag I guess. I am looking forward to "venturing out" further than when I was using just fins.
[signature]
Oldtroller, you're so right. The last time I was out I found that every ten paddles or so I had to row a few times with only the left or the right oar just to get it back on target. And then I'd look around real quick to make sure no one noticed how bad I am at this. [Smile]
[signature]
Trust me BigEZ nobody got in their boat the first day immediately rowing straight. Before long you'll be holding your rod between you legs (did that sound naughty?) while you're rowing so you can try to catch fish while crossing the lake.
[signature]