Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East of Hemenway/Marina, crankin from shore. 5/26
After taking some videos of carp around Hemenway Harbor, I tossed a crankbait around the shoreline to the east.

I only tossed one lure, a Strike King KVD square bill rattling 5/8 Sexy Shad Color...
[Image: crank_01.jpg]
I tossed it allot, with a few different retrieves, and a bunch of different angles. Covered a half mile of shore, 1 mile round trip. Skunked, but I expected it. I was out there from about 3pm-6pm. Then I ran over to Boulder Harbor to give a look.

I covered all the area in Green very well with that lure, for about three hours.

[Image: heminway.jpg]
[signature]
Not trying to be a killjoy, but is some of that area off limits?

I think they consider that area to be a 'marina', and that these areas are closed to fishing-

[inline heminway.jpg]

I think the red line is the technical 'no-wake' line, and that would put it off limits inside that area.

I'm not trying to call you out, just givin' a heads up... I may be wrong, too.
[signature]
I'm actually a little surprised you didn't hook up on anything inside the tires, alot of fish cruising that area. Whizzle is right no fishing inside the tires of any marina around mead goes for boaters and bankies. I've personally never seen any "no fishing" signs posted but hey.
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly]I'm actually a little surprised you didn't hook up on anything inside the tires, alot of fish cruising that area. Whizzle is right no fishing inside the tires of any marina around mead goes for boaters and bankies. I've personally never seen any "no fishing" signs posted but hey.[/quote]

Fronm the NDOW fishing report, dated 5/25/11:

"The Overton Arm and Vegas Wash areas remain hotspots for anglers seeking striped bass and catfish. Though most stripers have been on the small side, there are reports of anglers catching fish in the five- to eight-pound range. Anglers are also finding some success near the tires at Hemenway, but remember you cannot fish inside the marina"

Its also in the fishing regs, Southern region: Page 27:

CLOSED WATERS
[left][font "Arial-BoldMT"][size 3][font "Arial-BoldMT"][size 3]Lakes Mead and Mohave and the Colorado River areas as posted immediately above and below Hoover and Davis Dams; and except as otherwise posted by the National Park Service, those waters within the flat wake buoys at the following marinas and harbors: Overton Beach, Echo Bay Resort, Callville Bay Marina, Las Vegas Wash,
Cottonwood Cove, Hemenway Harbor and Las Vegas Boat Harbor in Clark County.
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[font "ArialMT"][size 2][font "ArialMT"][size 2]
[left]There are no posted signs. As they say, ignorance of of the law is no excuse.[/left]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
Ty for the heads up, I was under the impression that some of the area was off limits, but had no idea where exactly the imaginary line was. After reading what you guys posted, sounds like the line would be where the no wake areas end.

When I headed out that way, I was keeping a good look out for some no fishing signs in the area, but there are none. Then I was going to skip the first few coves but figured what the heck, I'll crank the lure around while I walk. Next time i'm at the marina, Ill go find someone who know the rules and have them point out exactly where you can and can't fish out there.

Do the crime, do the time, or pay the fine lol. If someone pinched me, oh well. I would learn the hard way in that case. It's like I said though, I'm going to find out the exact rules next time I'm out there. I DO follow all the fishing rules, even though I don't agree with some of them rofl [laugh].

But yah, zero fish, you would think with the marina right there I would have hooked up with a wondering striper lol. What do you think of that Crankbait Color for mead?
[signature]
Quote:There are no posted signs. As they say, ignorance of of the law is no excuse.

I knew it, I remember a guy telling me its the fishers job to know all the rules and laws. He must have NOT been BSin hehe.

I was totally aware of the no fishing in the marina rules, just wasn't sure where the marina borders where, but I will find out exactly next time, since its my job to know the rules [Wink].
[signature]
[quote Jimboslice] What do you think of that Crankbait Color for mead?[/quote]

Works for me. I've caught a few striper (albeit schoolies) at Hole 33 with a similar colored shad crankbait. Anything with shades of white and looks like a shad generally works for Mead.
[signature]