Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike's Bite
Hi all,

I've been fishing a local pond known for pike. My luck has been minimal and today I lost two lures. I'm casting a small EC spinner lure with a wire swivel leader but I think the fish might have eaten up the small spinner until the whole leader was in its mouth and his teeth made short work of the line.

Could I use 2 wire leaders or a larger lure to prevent this?

Any other tips for a Newbie?
[signature]
I caught a pike here in WI the other day on a blue/white jointed crank.

I have some bites today on a yellow mino, and some on a salted squid.
[signature]
So, what is the advice??
[signature]
I have used ligt wire with cranks and spinners
[signature]
My advice- try a bigger crank or spinner. What kind of line are you using? If you are using a monofilament(which is NEVER recommended for pike) I'd switch to a fluorocarbon.
[signature]
Yeah, bigger cranks, or lures in general, might help to keep them from munching on the line. I've never tried it but I'd imagine putting 2 steel leaders on would be fine...as long as the fish don't mind.

Another tip: In the Fall, I like to head up into the bays to catch pike and bass with buzzbaits. I'll use two rods, one with a plain white buzzbait, and the other with a plain black buzzbait. Right at dusk (last full hour of sunlight), Try casting right into the cattails, moss or stumps and rip that buzzbait right through it! (use the white bait for areas that are still sunny and the black bait for the shady areas)
HANDS DOWN, the most explosive, spectacular fishing there is! I've had northerns jump clear out of the water to grab my buzzbait hung up in a cattail. I don't know why they would ever think a minnow would be stuck high in a cattail, but i'm not complaining! LOL

Good luck
[signature]
I would try something bigger
[signature]