Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial weekend fun 5/28
[font "Calibri"][/font]I couldn’t convince my bride to camp out for the weekend but she did tag along for a “hole” expedition. We got there around sunrise and hiked to the honey hole.

Fished 4 bait rods the whole day. Ended with so many fish I lost count (if I posted a number peeps would hate). Tons of carp and catfish was it no striper love.

I tried something new besides chovies “corn” I honestly didn’t know what I was missing even the cats liked it. The area wasn’t even busy saw the first ski boat about noon we skipped out a half hour later.

This is one of the best times I’ve had at mead both of our wrists hurt from all those carp. Please check out my new YouTube videos. Enjoy!

>>>>[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC11oCHVhjc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC11oCHVhjc[/url]<<<

[inline 017.JPG]

[inline 026.JPG]
[inline 006.JPG]
[signature]
Nice, sounds fun. I never used corn because this "credible" guy I met, told me it was illegal to use corn as bait or chum. This was two years ago and I think maybe that was true back then. Have the corn laws changed in the last two years? I read all the up to date regulations and it encouraged chumming with corn now. I might have to try it out, but I'm hooked on tossing lures atm.

Looks like you snuck in and out before the wind got to bad. I somehow let the wind scare me from going out today.

lol @ the Honey Hole! Give up the coordinates, lol jk [Wink]
[signature]
i believe its only illegal to chum with corn for trout. but not 100% sure on that one
[signature]
Corn use is a regulated by states, so it is best to be aware of what the regs are where you are fishing. It was believed that corn would stop up in a fishes system and kill them. This is false, but it was once widely believed to the point of the regulations against corn.

Also, it is not legal to chum with anything in some areas so check first. Whether is be chum or anything else it is always good to know the regulations where one is fishing. It can save some heart ache.

Every time I catch a trout at Kirch in the fall I think of the corn not passing thing. At this time almost all the trout are full of snails. The eat them, the insides get digested in stomach acid, then the trout passes the shell. You don't even have to kill the trout to tell when this is happening. You can run your finger up and down it's belly and hear a clanking sound from the shells. Also, their anus's are all red and swollen from passing the shells. Pretty funny thing to see. It has prompted me to make several snail patterns for fall fishing there.

Hope this clarifies the issue some. A lot of people "freak out" when they hear you are using corn, but if you are current on the regulations don't worry 'bout it.

Later,
[signature]
[cool]right on 4pound nice pix and video. now i know what u look like lol for some odd reason i pictured you as an old guy with white hair and a full white goatee lol your just a young buck lol [cool] [fishon]
[signature]
Heya Ben,

Great video there. I'm glad you tried out the lowly carp. Lotsa people bag on them, but they have provided me many a fun filled afternoon catching them. They are a great species to target with kids as well. If I have a couple of tough outtings with the kids, I make sure to go after the carp with them so they can have some success.

I was really glad to see you catch and release them. I told this jerk I used to work with about the chum balls and corn method and he was way disrespectful to the fish. Made me wish I hadn't of told him.

Anyhow, I hope your report and video will encourage more to go after this game fish. They can be really fun on the fly rod as well. I intend to show Syn how to get them on the fly rod as soon as we can get together.

Later,
[signature]
[font "Calibri"][/font]Thanks guys,

I also heard of trout not being able to pass corn but I guess if they can pass snails it must ok. I had a blast that was my best day at mead numbers wise. Out of the dozens of carp caught I kept one for kitty bait.

I was really surprised how empty the basin was hardly a sole around and the weather was nice. Syn im just 22 year old geek from Washington LOL and the spot I fish is no secret there is always a new round of trash every time I go there.
[signature]
[quote Telbone] I intend to show Syn how to get them on the fly rod as soon as we can get together.
[/quote]

cant wait[cool][cool]

4 pound my bad on my visualization of you lol 22 huh? man... now I feel old LOL i'm 34
[signature]
Its all good syn [cool] I thought telbone was an ax murderer before I met him LOL just kiddin.

I might go carpin again today hit me up if anyone wants to go.
[signature]
I am going out today. I hope I see you, where abouts are you going? I sent you a pm.
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly] I might go carpin again today hit me up if anyone wants to go.[/quote]

I bailed and never went. Sorry to the fellows that Pm'ed me.
[signature]
Np at all, I was looking for a break in weather to head out, so I was going anyhow. 33 Hole was packed to the brim with people and no fish. There was a small boil in one of the coves before I got there, then the fish rolled out. Nobody was catching fish with any consistency. A Few striper, couple cats, and a couple carp, counting everyone.
[signature]