Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5/26 & 5/27 night fishing
5/26: launched at hemenway at 5pm, anchored out by the islands and used some chum bombs... within an hour, we hooked up on 4 2-3lb stripers. anchored the the tires after dark and droped a green fishing light: caught 3 nice cats and 4 more stripers. around midnight, a big fish hits my gf's line and broke after fighting it for 10seconds. hits my line and I fought it for 2 mins and broke my line. I'm not sure if its the same fish, but ended up breaking 4 lines and still never got the sucker to surface to see what it was.

5/27: 5pm, anchored at a cove near the entrance to kingman wash... stayed there for 2hours and caught 5 3-4lb stripers. went back to the islands after sunset, nothing. 9pm, anchored at tires @ 65ft of water and dropped the light... we were getting bites non-stop until 11pm. anywhere from 5oz stripers to 5lb catfish. This time i was prepared and rigged up my poles with 25lb test braided, but that elusive fish never came back. After loading the boat back on the trailer at 2am, we blew a tire on the trailer and didn't have a spare. so, we stayed on the lake until 7am to wait for big'o'tires to open. at sunrise we heard a lot of carp jumping. we went over to the floating restroom and dropped some chovies and immediately getting bites every 5min. we only manage to get 50% of them on the boat ( think i need different kind of hooks). Then I was tossing a shad swimbait while having another pole in the water w/ chovie... I heard and noise and looked over... my fishing rod w/ chovie took a dive and that was the end of it. Just got that rod this year.

It was a successful 2 days of fishing. costly though: $120 tire and $80 rod. But we brought home 25 stripers and 4 cats between both nights.
[signature]
Sounds fun, I wish you could have landed the big fish.

Quote:This time i was prepared and rigged up my poles with 25lb test braided

I changed to 20lb braid this season because I lost over 100 dollars in lures last year. Braid is awesome once you get used to it. I think the pros outway the cons.
[signature]
question for you what is a chum bomb????
would appeciate you info[reply][/reply]
[signature]
I have never used a chum bomb or made one, but I did see this link on the Nevada Striper Club Forum.

[url "http://www.nevadastriperclub.org/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=156"]Chum Bomb Post.[/url]
[signature]
this is how i make it;

2 bags of chopped anchovies (thawed)
2 bulbs of garlic
1/4 cup of fish sauce
1.5cups of water

blend into a goo... fill up disposable cups with a decent size rock in it, and freeze overnight

anchor at a decent cove between 50-60ft and drop around the boat... or on shore, toss them where u plan to cast... keep chumming with heads and tails and use mid sections of anchovies to fish with.
[signature]
thanks for the info will give it a try,see you on the lake something will be running around in a 19 ft. center console white triumph
[signature]
one more question the fish sauce? what are you using
[signature]
U can find fish sauce at an Asian supermarket
[signature]
Smith's carries it in the Asian isle. Awesome stuff. Use it on all meats, just brings out the flavor.
[signature]
thanks again
[signature]