Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for a beginner to find big carp?
I've never landed a carp. I was unaware they were even here in rhode island until recently. Where can one find large carp. What type of cover? Any specific fishing structure? Points, drop offs, etc.

What's a good set up? What's the hair material made of on a hair rig. Any specific baits? Any tips be very helpful. I've heard of 30 pound+ here, so it's them big ones I'm after.

Thanks in advance.

P.s any books that you'd recommend on the subject?
[signature]
Hi there...

The hair when you hear hair rig was originaly actualy a human hair but now most people just use whatever your hook link is made up of. There are a TON of different baits you can use the easiest would be a can of sweet corn. If you want to get heavy into carp fishing you can spend a lot of money and most once they have learned a few tricks they are hooked. Another easy bait is a oat pack... Go to walmart grab a can of cream corn and a can of regular sweet corn and a thing of old fashioned oats make sure there old fashioned and not instant. Mix these together in a bucket let it sit for a few minutes put a couple pieces of corn on a hook unless you can tie up some hair rigs then put some on the hair. use a slip sinker pack the oats around the sinker then put your hoook on it and pack a bit around that pack it good so it will stay together when you cast. send that out and when it sits on the bottom that ball you packed around everything will slowly break down the fish will feed on that and eventualy pick up your hook...Good luck and if you are interested in learning more check out carpanglersgroup.com you can see some of the topics with the free quest membership and if you like it join the club then you have full access to all topics and I am almost posative we have other members in your area that would be happy to meet up with you and show you some tricks.... Keep in mind we are a catch and release club.. Put down that idahocarpin sent you..
Good luck and let me know if I can help you out with anything...
[signature]
Hmm well there is one thing I been wondering..There's an old pond around where I live, I've seen some stuff in the shallows never gotten a good look as what ever it is spooks very easily. The bottom is sandy in some spots muddy in others and heavy matter on the bottom (leaves, sticks twigs), it's almost never been fished. The problem is, I've no idea what carp tend to like for cover. I was going to try hitting it tomarrow evening.

Thank you very much for the bait recipe unfortunately it's not allowed to use corn cause of the trout. I got some old pizza dough thats gone sour. Sounds like they like sweet...I got some banana extract left. Would that work? Or would something like honey or worm paste be good?

Edit- not sure if it matters but there is eel in the pond.
[signature]
ok no corn hmmmmmmmmmm

you can use the oats still just use some lake water to make it so it will back feel free to add some banana extract or any other sweet fruity flavor. You could add a jello packet to the oats too. Another one that paylakers use is a mix of 2 parts quick grits 1 part instant grits usualy use cream corn but add a jello packet and some water so it will pack together get a package of corn puff cereal and put one of them on your hook when the grits break down that puff will float your hook off the bottom a bit and the carp will pick that up.

Carp like all sorts of flavors sweet fishy spicy I wouldnt do fishy with the eels around. check out [url "http://www.carpanglersgroup.com"]www.carpanglersgroup.com[/url] there are many methods on there and we may have members in your area that would be happy to meet up with you and show you some of our tricks.
[signature]
I plan on joining, but not able to, not this month. I am kinda broke at the moment. Part of why I've been fishing. To make what food I got last.

Thanks for the help, any other tips ya can pass on be much appreciated. [fishon] here dinner dinner dinner
[signature]