Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - May 31st
Took my granddaughter out fishing today. We arrived at Strawberry Marina at 7:30 a.m. We headed out east and fished the east bank & headed north towards the ladders for approx. 2 hours. We trolled various lures, spoons & squids. Caught two fish - one cutt 16-inches and another small fished appeared to be a tiger (??) about 8-inches.

The reservoir is extremely stained. I could only see my lures & down rigger balls about 2 feet before they would disappear out of site. There was a slight breeze & it was cold. Temps at 7:30 were 28 degrees F. Decided the water was too dirty & thought most of it was being carried in by the Strawberry river. So we decided to pull up stakes and motor over to the Soldier Creek side - I though the water would be clearer over there. The water over by the dam is just as muddy & with more debris floating on the surface. Saw full trees floating out in the reservoir on this side, in addition a lot of grass & other garbage.

Rigged up and started trolling again from the mouth of the Narrows, towards the dam and along the east bank. Had 4 lines out - two on down riggers and two long lines. We picked up another 3 cutts all about 20-inches. The cutts were all skinny. I thought they would be all bulked up for the spawn; however, these looked liked they had already spawned out.

The wind had increased and was on the verge of white caps & my granddaughter was cold so we decided to head back to the Marina. The trip across the reservoir east of the marina was exciting as we were in full white caps and waves were crashing over the bow.

Talked to the DWR tech at the marina taking a fish survey. We told him that we had caught a total of 5 for the morning & he stated that we had done the best so far for the day (by noon). He stated that most fishermen had been reporting poor success. Never did determine what the fish were biting. I caught just as many down deep as I did on the surface and never caught 2 fish on the same lure. Need to give the reservoir some time to clear up before I head back.
[signature]
I heard this same story from three other trollers...I now storms put fish down but, SHEESH! We went Saturday and I did okay, but definitely had to work for it and very slow, but that is Strawberry.
Thanks for the report though.
[signature]
Is the road to renegade open yet? Last I heard it was still snowed in but that was a couple of weeks ago.
[signature]
We didn't go that way, but I sure it is now.
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
Thanks for the report thinking about heading up saturday.
[signature]
[quote STEVEF39]Thanks for the report thinking about heading up saturday.[/quote]

Waste of gas and time.
[signature]
I think with the temp change it could turn on big time.
They are there, just got to find and entice them.
Full report please!!!!
[signature]
was up there monday and tuesday monday it snowed sideways only got 2 chubs tuesday the sun came out and i got 11 my boy got 7 only 2 bow and one 24 inch cut i think that a large portion of the fish was inactive and hanging in deeper water with the bad weather
Now that we are getting better weather and some of the smaller stream are clearing up the fish will be more active this weekend waste of time and gas i don't think so if you know how to get in to them at the berry i think this weekend it will be on them hungry cuts are going to be looking to bulk up a bit for the up coming spawn
i'll be there all from when the kids get out of school to tuesday
and i think i'm going to leave the boat at home the fish should be shallow and hunting the banks for those chubs that i do believe are spawning now or may not but i know i find large numbers of chubs i find the larger cuts
[signature]
So when you caught the 11 + 7, where were you and what were you using? Were they in deep water, or shallow? Jigging? Trolling? Casting to shore?

I promise not to catch all the fish in the lake. I'm only up there maybe 2-3 times per year, but when I go, I really want to catch a ton [Wink]
[signature]
sallow water from the bank bait but slowly draging it seem to make them bite a bit more but its is so slow we came home early but ill be back next weekend
[signature]