Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua fun again - 5/31
Caught these and a few more yesterday. The trout fought really well and jumped all over the place. Kept these for my next 2 dinners (maybe only 1). Fished on east side and caught them in various spots (scattered) with my standard drop shot reaper They all were fairly shallow. With the warm temps today they'll probably be up shallow and on the bit. Felt very lucky since I didn't meet anyone else that had any luck. [shocked] Bet folks will have better luck today if they can take the wind. Yesterday was surprised that there was only light breezes.

[inline fun.jpg]
[signature]
mmmmm bass[Wink]

Might have to make a trip there in the next week or so and see if the gills are going to move shallow this year[Wink]

Always enjoy keeping a limit of small bass from there. (when I can get em)
[signature]
Those are some nice fat ones! Nice that the weather cooperated for you.
[signature]
I hope I don't sound want to sound condescending or false, but, ------------. That t is certainly not my intention!!! I'm glad it may be warming with dryer weather. Hope so!!!! We've had the wettest and coolest weather since records were kept for the last 3 months, and have a lot of flooding expected because the med. and high elev, snow melt hasn't even started. The res. can't handle the run off and are scheduled to overflows with a lot more flooding. Thank God I don't live next to a river or have farm lands downstream!!! Good to be a retired old guy that can still have this kind of thing to do and not worry about it, although, ---------- I still feel their pain. Feel kind of guilty though. [frown]
[signature]
Those are some fatties. Nice work. Did you catch them on the usual? I was in the area tonight, so I decided to brave the wind and give it a try. When I first arrived there were whitecaps on the lake, so I went over to the southwest side and tried tossing flukes up into the trees from shore. It was pretty shallow, but I did score one fat bass and missed a couple more. Finally at around 6 it let up a bit, so I took out the tube. It wasn't super fast, but I did manage a total of 12 bass. [inline "scum bass small.JPG"][inline "fat bass small.JPG"][inline "bass small.JPG"]

8 took the fluke up in the trees and the others were on the flat out from the bank. I caught 3 of those on lipless cranks and the other on a spinnerbait. No monsters, but good healthy fish that fought very well. It sure beat sitting home anyway. The water was 58 degrees and only about 2-3 feet deep where I was fishing. I'm not sure what the cooler weather will do the next couple of days. Hopefully they'll stay shallow.
[signature]
Well, as usual, you're top dog, good on ya. Both times now I had very little action until the late afternoon????? Is it because that's when the water has warmed up enough to get them going? That's why I don't start until about noon or later, As for myself, I just stick my drop shot and reaper set up for Mantua. When are you going back to our favorite spot to confirm or refute a big die off. If that spot is dead, not sure if I'll buy an out of state license, probably will though.
PM me where you found the best area at Mant., ok?
P.S. Those guys look pretty good sized to me.[Smile]
[signature]
Well thank you. I've found that this time of year afternoons and evenings do tend to be best as that is when the water is warmest as you said. I will PM you about our spot. I'm hoping to get up there soon.
[signature]