Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo - Paradise Spoiled
For all you serious fisherman who find fishing sacred ground, I stronghly recommend you take Cabo San Lucas off your places to fish. That is not because of the fishing, which can be fantastic, but because what the place itself has become and how they or at least the charter fleet I went out with goes about it.

Cabo has changed dramatically and for the worse. It is filled with high pressure timeshare phony american sales people who are just out to make a buck. They are developing every last square inch of water front with oversized multicored candy corn hotels. The Mexicans that work there for the most part are not locals but from the main land and do not have the same friendly, helpful attitude that I have found with the native people from the Baja. Everyone in the hotels and on the water front is out to make a buck and is constantly pestering you to buy jewelry, food, drugs and sex! I was very distrubed by all of this. It is in the process of becoming a low end tourist trap.

The fishing fleet I went out with, Gaviotas, nickle and dimes you for everything and does a poor job of handling the catch, which was many fish in my case. they did not keep it cool on the boat, did a poor job of filleting it and did an even worse job of packing it. People were stealing the fish and charging huge amounts of money to cut it and than just to throw it into a 5 gallon bucket. They killed a nice Marlin I caught without much consideration of releasing it. They told me I should get it weighed and mount the bill and tail which I later learned, if they knew what they were doing, would not need the fish for this. I am sure the realized this but would rather sell themselves for a few bucks.

We caught several nice dorado, a boat full of yellow fin, one being over 50 lbs and one 140 lb blue marlin on the one day I fished. This was one of the best days relative to fishing action I have ever had, but was by far the worst from a total experience stand point. We had planned to fish another day but after the circus we endured ended up canceling. We will never go back.

It is Sad to see a place that had such a great history, so much beauty, and such great fishing potential within close reach of shore to have been so exploited and ruined for the sake of making a buck.
[signature]

Hey there Abbadoo,

You've described Cabo but you could be describing a growing number of fishing 'operations' throughout the sportfishing industry and related businesses. It only takes a few bad apples to mess things up. And.... the more years you have fished, the more frustrating it is when what you see as 'off-the-wall' is accepted by a younger generation as being the norm.

I see an over-extension of financial resources generated by greed causing problems with the industry or just plain ego trips by individuals who think they've got the world by a string.

Breath deeply, exhale! Helps me a lot when experiencing one of these rare hosings (new term for my vocabulary). ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Thanks for your suggestion,

I consider myself of the younger generation, 38 yrs old, but your right, a lot of the people who were going out fishing in Cabo were not guy's who really understand the true meaning of it. They just want to catch a big fish and get their picture with and dont really appreciate it for all of what it is. I can only hope that the seas will be rough for these type's and that they get very sick.

Those of us who see what is happening must band together and get much more vocal. If not, we will loose a fishery to the almighty greenback forever, only further digenerating our world as a whole.

The boats trhat I saw and the money that is spent on these boats, I would think we could get some seriuos support from those who feel like us and have the $ make make things happen.

We should not sit back, that is for sure!!!
[signature]