Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August salmon
I will be in the northern lower peninsula in the middle of August. I am considering a charter and trying to decide Michigan or Huron. Any suggestions? I will be closer to Lake Huron. But don't mind driving farther if it would be a better idea.
[signature]
i know there doing good out of ludington my brother happens to be a charter capton. i could ask who's good and not on the west coast of michigan if you got a spot your close to that all he fishes. he never goes to lake huron. sorry if that does not help.
[signature]
Any help would be appreciated. I will be up there from Alabama so driving an hour or two is no big deal if the fishing would be better.
[signature]
what city are you staying in? cuase they do get salmon on the east coast it just who you talk to and how nice the guide is. dick swan guide service is a good light tackle guide for salmon / steel head if you can book him. my brother is in a group with purple taco flies and some other guys if you need more info i may be able to call him up. there are three or four main port's that my brother fishes out of one ludington the manistee frankfort and one down by st. joe.you get a lot of lake trout right now down in st joe cause it is so warm right now. if i had my choice i would go ludington or manistee on the west coast the deeper water is closer to the rivers and less of a boat ride out. any ways i think my brother is up noth in ludington right now. he has a birth day for his son coming up in a day or two so i will ask him then.
[signature]
going out on a charter I say your chances are pretty good either way.

one thing I will suggest, book a charter early, the further ahead the better... just showing up and hoping to get on a charter is like trying to catch a fish in the desert, it is posible just not probable
I will be staying near Mio, so Lake Huron is definately closer. But I really want to go where the best fishing will be. I would enjoy light line fishing. But I will have my daughter and future son in law with me. So I'm not sure if they would think that was fun or not. If anybody has a suggestion on a particular charter boat I would appreciate that.
[signature]
either side you choose is good.

there is no garentee that you will catch fish on the day you go... all the charter guides on both sides know the routs, what you want to choose is the guid who is available on the day you want to go. You neen no equipment, and ask your guide if he has the ability to sell you a license or do you have to stop and pick one up.

Its hard to refer you to anyone in particular, your chances are as good if you point your finger in a book.

we do have one who has registered with us, and mind you this is not a recomendation of a guide to use, this is just to let you know he may be available on the date you want to go.

follow this link
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/guides/Michigan_Fishing_Guides/index.html"][#314fb1]Michigan Fishing Guides[/#314fb1][/url] (4) Michigan offers over 900 charter boats to choose from. Michigan offers some of the finest freshwater fishing in the world, with more than 3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, over 11,037 inland lakes & 36,350 miles of rivers & streams.
according to this guides profile you may be able to drift the rivers or go out on lake michigan, but judging from the size of his boats, he is a small time outfitt.

If you are looking for walking around room on the boat, I suggest the bigger outfits.

You and I would like the smaller boat experience, it is doubtfull your daughter and SIL would be willing to sit on a boat with out ficilities for vary long.

here is a couple videos to help you, You might even want to select from the charters from the vidio. The captians like to fill up their boats, so call and see if they have room for 3 more on your particular day.

[url "http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=127"]http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=127[/url]

[url "http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=37"]http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=37[/url]
[signature]
i would say since in mio stay on the east coast some were by the ausable river you should be able to find a guide there. i talk to my brother there is no one he know on the east coast all his buddies are on the west coast. or even alpena should be able to find a guide. if your that far north. tawas city is right near the ausable river if i spelled it correctly lol's the river name lol's . any ways like said try to book early cause it hard to find one around that time.
[signature]
We have a big lake guide on the Ohio board that charters the huron here in Michigan, Salmon on the Au Sable is not all that great in August .
August salmon on the Manistee , yea, they are there , I work with a guy who's son in law charters the Manistee river and he is very good. Big lake fishing, well there are hundreds of charters, pretty much all are about the same.
[signature]
I was really hoping someone could recomend a charter service from previous experience. I have taken charters and used guides more than a few times in other places. I definately haven't found that they are all about the same. Some know more than others, some try harder, some have better equipment etc.
[signature]
give the charter in the vidio a call, they come with the highest reputation in the state. As far as michigan out of doors is concerned.

if they dont have room for you, they can refer you to some of their competitiors, they all belong to the same clubs and orginizations.

they wont give you a bad refferance, their game is catching fish.

the best boat and best electronics can only put you on top of the fish, they cant make the fish bite.