Time of day: 3:00 pm
Moon phase: new (?)
Date: 6/3/11

Fish:
•Channel Catfish
•24"
•6-7 lb.

The bait:
•industrial stinkbait/ (turtle) bloodbait wrapped in a piece of cloth (old sock, actually)

2' off of bottom

The Rig:
The only reason I was fishing was to find the right rig for rain-bloated river with an accelerated current. I tested a 3-way swivel rig. While this seemed to work for keeping the bait stationary without sinking it to the bottom, I was frustrated that: 1). it snagged submerged objects a lot 2). It couldn't be casted very powerfully 3). All-around awkward

I ditched the 3-way swivel and improvised a different rig by tying an extra-long loop for my knot and using the extra line to tie on a weight 5" below the hook. This made the hook more sensitive to strikes, although having a hook on taught line can be a diSadvantage because the hook can be felt more quickly by the fish (yet this, conversely makes hook-sets easier).

It was on this set-up that the fish was caught. Unfortunately, I was woefully underprepared for landing a fish because this afternoon was meant to be for testing rigs. I had neither my camera on-hand (a bittersweet loss) nor did I have my pliers/ hook-removers (which was just stupid of me; turtles are known to strike stinkbaits). They only evidence I have of this fish is a thumb that looks like it was chewed on by sandpaper.

A few notes about the bait: the conventional cloth used to keep stinkbait together is panty-hose; however, I was using strips of an old sock because I could see where it was through the murky water (I was out there to test rigs in faster currents and deeper water).

So goes the story of my fish caught with a sock. I hope my failures in the face of success are helpful.
[signature]
Next time just try your sock alone,maybe your on to something[shocked]Hey you make me proud to be an American.I also do that by tieng on something to the exctra line.Sometimes I use a bloodknot,and use one of the lines left over to tie on a hook even,and use the longer end for adding weight ,therefor the hook will be higher plus more sensitive to bites.I eve used to tie 2 blod knots that way I could have 2 baits and use the longer end for the weight.Just be carefull not to set the hook so hard,I just add more and more pressure.I had bloodknot break on braided line from sudden impact off strike,Thats the onlyway I had it break.If I had a pic for everyfish,I would need another house just to keep them in.Worst is when cam actually dies right there on the spot.Happened to me once.First I bitched out my buddy not realizing it was the damn camera[sly]....We all get better,thats one good thing about time...Paulpro...Keep those lines tight,and allways check them too...
[signature]