Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loop to Loop Connections
Does anybody have an easy, non-destructive method of getting a loop on the end of a fly line for use with furled leaders to utilize loop to loop connections? Splicing line and such just freaks me out with the costs associated with a messed up fly line. Would a perfection loop work well?

Thanks.
[signature]
Perfection would be a little too big. Those braided loops are cool.
OR, I make my line into a loop, but it will require you make a couple of purchases. One would be tying thread, the other a bobbin for fly tying.
I cut the tip of the line at an angle and fold it over, making a loop any size I want.
I then start wrapping with the thread in the bobbin. With the right tension I can swing the bobbin around while holding line with both hands.

Whip finish a few times and a small dab of Zap-A-Gap, or Loon UV Knot Sense. The Knot Sense is nice because it is somewhat flexible, where the Zap-A-Gap dries hard.

[Image: loop002.jpg]
[signature]
just a side note... you can make those braided loops a little more secure by tying them down that same way describes here...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'm thinking the braided loop might be the way to go, but what I'm finding on them is iffy. Reviews largely are negative, stating that the shrink wrap isn't shrinking right or something similar that tends to indicate to me that they aren't experienced with it and weren't prepared to put it on their line in the first place...

From the few guides I was able to find on the braided loops, it seems like the most popular way to do it is to slip on the tubing that comes with it after putting down some super glue, which I thought wasn't waterproof and can be abrasive. I'm not so sure about that on the fly line. Another suggested a nail knot over the braid with a coat of clear nail polish over it, which seems more my style but I'm still unsure of. The Knot Sense you suggested seems like a pretty good deal, how well does it hold? Would it work well in conjunction with the nail knot over a braided loop?

I suppose the best question I could be asking right now is how much of an advantage (time-wise) are loop-to-loop connections in the first place? Will I be switching my leader often enough to justify loop-to-loop from the fly line instead of a plain old nail knot? Would a better application be from leader to tippet, or is that too close to the fish?

The whole reason I even got started on loop-to-loop connections was reading up on how to make furled leaders with regular old monofilament, not even requiring a jig, and loop-to-loop is the only option in that setup. Does anybody have experience with furled leaders made this way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs Am I maybe just too cheap for my own good? lol

I'll be asking about how to make my own fly line in no time Wink.
[signature]
I use loop to loop from fly line to leader and from leader to tippet... especially leader to tippet... makes a change out much much quicker in either case... Im fairly novice and I like to keep things simple and clean and ultimately EASY... :-)... loop to loop does it for me...

as for furled leaders.. I know Fly Goddess and DR make and use them.. so I am sure that when either sees your post they will be able to answer your questions...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
First off, that is not a furled leader. This subject has been debated on several forums. It is however, TWISTED. Difference? Well, you can not do a 3 or more part taper which is important when fishing dries. You can ONLY make them out of mono, where a furled can be made out of anything and the best and most supple are out of thread.
I have two of these "twisted" leaders, and I can tell you, they are PIG TAILS. They have bad memory.
Twisted were designed for ocean fishing and big game. Furled is for 00 wt and on up and can be most delicate or backbone to drive poppers to bass.

http://www.twistedleaders.com/index.html

As for loops, there is this:

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

OR, simply take about 8 to 10 inches of 30 lb mono or Amnesia and "NAIL KNOT" it to your fly line. Then put a "PERFECTION LOOP" in the other end. Knot sense would be the ultimate for this knot. Zap-A-Gap is one of the only waterproof superglues on the market and it is a good choice as well. Nail Polish will only chip and flake off.

http://midcurrent.com/knots/making-the-connection/

http://redchaser.com/looptoloop.htm
[signature]
I'll take your word for it, no debate here...just using the terminology the guy who made the video did. I'm just too new to know better at this point, but you're fixing that Wink.

Thanks a ton fg!
[signature]
You bet. I do think the nail knot butt section will be your best bet. Kilroy has some killer animated demo's.
[signature]
I went with the braided leader. Used a light bulb to melt the shrink wrap over the end of the braided leader. Bought some Zap glue (because they didn't have Knot Sense) but didn't use it. Seems pretty secure.

I'm heading up to warm river this weekend, will let you know how it does for sure. I know you check the Idaho forum flygoddess, but I'll try to remember to post results in both places.
[signature]