Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska bound
Headin' out on the 11th gonna head North out of Anchorage towards Talkeetna to fish for Kings on the Deshka river for a week, what a beautiful river, we launch on the big Susitna the big Su. is a huge Glacier fed river and it scares the hell out'a me, we head down the bigSu about 8 miles to the mouth of the Deshka then head up the Deshka a ways to a Island where we camp.
I have caught as many as 26 Kings in one day there ranging from 10# to over 50#...
Going to spend a week there, then it's off to the Kenai peninsula for Reds on the Russian river,nothing like having thousands of Sockeye a day running up this little 4/5 mile long river,FISH ON!!![Image: happy.gif] what a blast..
You can catch Reds till the pain in your arms and back won't let you catch anymore.
Going to spend a week there and take a day to head out to Homer for some Halibut, I'm a puker so i don't enjoy that to much but i gotta have some butt, for sure..
Heres a few pics from years past.
[signature]
I'm sooo jealous. Been my dream forever to get to Alask and catch salmon on my fly rod. Enjoy it man
[signature]
Have you ever tried Scopolomine patch behind the ear? Since I first used them years ago fishing on Cook Inlet for halibut I have never been sea sick. It saved me on many trips in nasty conditions on the salt. If you want to try them ask your family doctor for a prescription. One patch is good for 3 days but you can remove it and reuse it anytime you want. And no side effects like I used to get from Dramamine and other across the counter products.

Good luck...looks like you'll have another great trip.
[signature]
I used both the patch and Dramamine. I got by alright but we also had bad weather. We were grounded two days at Craig. I didn't care for the silvers as far as fishing goes. I liked the halibut fishing the best. We fished the morning for Silvers and the afternoon for halibut. If the silvers were slow I would go to the bottom and bounce the herring off the bottom. I got a couple of 50 pound halibut with a salmon rig.
Last year my son Jacob caught a couple of 75 pound halibut and a bunch of smaller ones.
We could only keep one per day is that still the deal? Ron
[signature]
I tried the patch for the first time five years ago, it worked perfect and I had the time of my life, the last four years it helped but still ened up chuming, last year was ruff six foot sea's if i would have had a gun i would of ended it all right there. heck i get a little sick just watching a merry go round..

Ron the one fish limit is only in the South East part of the state, and i beileve its down to no retention of any Halibut over 36".

I've been watching the weir and sonar couts pretty close the last week or so it looks like it's going to shape up into some huge runs and they are right on time,,,YEE-HAW,,[fishin]..
[signature]
Oddly enough ginger pills help with the sea sickness and don't give you the side effects of some of the others. You could probably take them along with the other stuff. --- patches etc.

Walmart has them in the vit/herb dept. 2 or 3 capsules 1/2hr before you go.
[signature]
That's the limit for SE Alaska with a guide. If unguided the limit is 2 halibut without the size restriction.
[signature]
I spent 4 months last summer on the salt off the alaskan coast and the patch behind the ear worked best for most clients.
[signature]
Scopolamine does work very well for most, but some people get side effects. There are a number of side effects like blurred vision which can actually make it very difficult to drive, but most people won't get this. You also don't want to combine scopolamine and dramamine because both can cause serious drowsiness and together could make you get so tired, you actually become sick.

Another thing with the patch is that it gives you a continuous dose and although you can take it off and put it back on, that isn't advised. It also may fall off if you do that too much. It usually takes a while for the patch to work and touching it can also result in it being absorbed faster. And then you have to put it back on well before your next trip anyways.

There is now a tablet form which works out well because you can adjust the dose during a trip and adjust the dose for the size of the person.

I have tried a number of things, by far the scopolamine patch has worked best for me, I haven't used the tablet yet. I too probably could get sick looking at a merry go round but have been in some nasty weather (Alaska, long range tuna trips for multiple days) and have not gotten sick while on the patch. So I would advise to start the patch many hours before your trip (even the night before) so you adjust to it, try to get plenty of rest, and try not to suck up the exhaust from the boat as this can help "fuel" the vomiting.
[signature]
Anyone with military time should check out the fishing deals out of the seward military recreation. Great prices and fishing
[signature]
Ktrout that looks like a Kenai King,, nice fish what was the weight??

I have stayed at the Airforce camp in Seward several times, great place and awesome fish cleaning house with sweet vac sealers, but i think the Army camp is a little nicer,, smokein' deals for charters out on the salt for military folks also.
[signature]
[quote Deshka]Ktrout that looks like a Kenai King,, nice fish what was the weight?? .[/quote]

64 pounds and yes from the Kenai, here is my report on it:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...607;page=1
[signature]
STEELHEADKID you've GOT to change your avitar it's KILLING ME!
I come across one of your posts and I just get stuck there and can't seem to move on.
[signature]
Glad you enjoy it like I do 2dogs! Some of the "guys" don't like it. [reply][/reply]
[signature]
If you catch a dandy like KTROUT up there it sure would be nice for the gene pool to take a quick length/girth measurement and some photos and send it on its way and get a repo mount.
[signature]

Hey Tyler! How come you didn't invite me to go to Alaska with you? I recognize a few of them mugs in that first photo of yours. Your trip sounds way more fun then the one I'm going on. We leave for the Kenai this Sunday for 3 days of fishing with Ken Smith out of Drifters Landing. Wish I was going with your group instead. This will be my first time up there and I already know 3 days of fishing up in Alaska will only be a teaser for me. I'm sure I will not want to get back on that plane come Friday to head back home LOL!!
[signature]
Hey Mike,, i would of invited you but heck i didn't know you liked to get out and fish that much,,, you only get out fishin' and huntin' about, 320 days a year.[Wink]

Looks like the Kenai run is shaping up to be a dandy for Kings, and it's gonna be a real smoker for Reds, according to the F&G and private angler reports you should do well..Good luck to ya, hope you hook into some whoppers..

KTrout,, WHOA!!!!!!!! 64 pounds,, Saweeeet,, bet that took you more than a minute or two to land.
Great write up, beautiful pictures and very accurate info, good job for sure..
[signature]
[quote STEELHEADKID]If you catch a dandy like KTROUT up there it sure would be nice for the gene pool to take a quick length/girth measurement and some photos and send it on its way and get a repo mount.[/quote]

Alaska now offers money towards a replica mount of anything over the 50/50 club. 50" x 50lbs taken on the Kenai.
[signature]
[quote STEELHEADKID]If you catch a dandy like KTROUT up there it sure would be nice for the gene pool to take a quick length/girth measurement and some photos and send it on its way and get a repo mount.[/quote]

I don't think you can take the fish out of the water to take a photo. And when you are dealing with fish over 60, it is not easy to take a photo. But I wanted the fish anyways and released a number of fish the same size or larger than the only ONE I kept.
[signature]
Hey Tyler, I'll take you to ND with me this fall bird hunting if you bring me along next year to Alaska [fishin]

Good luck to you too, and be safe!
[signature]