Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need to take my boat with me to get registered?
I just bought a small 14ft aluminum boat that is pre-1985. With a 10 HP motor.
Do I need to take the boat with me when I go get it registered. Someone told me I do to get some inspection done there or something.
Thanks!
[signature]
If you bought it out of state you need to have the serial numbers verified by an official. When I bought my boat in Texas I had to bring it with me to verify that the title matched the serial numbers on the boat/trailer.
Don't quote me though, I've been wrong before.
[signature]
Mine was a 60's untitled - out of state boat. I had the old registration, and they took the VIN number off of there, and never looked at the actual boat.
Have your bill of sale, ideally - former registration, and a check. It's the last one that's the paperwork they are most interested in!!!
I registered my 9 foot pontoon last year and the lady actually walked out to look at the VIN number. I guess some do and some dont!
[signature]
Better safe than sorry. The first time I got mine registered, I took it down there....helps a ton if you are trying to explain how old it is and if you have a clerk that has no idea what is going on and is asking for #'s that never existed. I showed them the boat in the lot and he got all the #'s that he could and that worked fine. Take it down there and they may not need to see anything, but at least you will have it there just in case.
[signature]
I bought a camping trailer from out of state and was required to bring it...I would take it, 16' is easy enough to haul.
[signature]
Thanks guys...Just FYI. I didn't need it. Thats good cause I didn't take it. I work just down the street from the draper DMV...no line this morning either. Time to go fishing!
[signature]