Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powdered Floatant
I found a good source for hydrophobic fumed silica which is what Frog's Fanny and other powdered floatants are made of. It is a filler for epoxies and can be found here:

[url "http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html"]http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html[/url] one quart is about $6 and shipping was about $3.

What every you do WEAR A MASK when transferring this kind of stuff. It goes into the air as very fine particles and you do NOT want to breath it!
[signature]
I will go halfies with you[Wink] I love that stuff. Great for CDC flies. But some is more course than Frog Fanny. I prefer the powdery stuff.
Right you are on the mask though.
[signature]
I just ordered, but you are right it is way too much for one person!! I will give you some when I get it. Then you can see if it measures up. I don't know how fine this is. I probably should have waited to post this until after I got it and used it, but by then I would have forgotten to post about it! Getting older is not for the weak kneed!!!

I guess some people also mix the desiccant crystals and and the powdered together. The desiccant to dry the fly and the powder to coat it.

I am kind of new with this stuff and as usual "experimenting"! I have only used Frog's Fanny once as a loaner of someone else's. I liked it, but I don't get into the fly shops very often and forget about getting it, when I do get in there!!!
[signature]
It is my choice for sure. Cool, let me know!
[signature]
[cool]why would you want to handle something like this when you have to wear a mask to handle it safely ???

do you have to wear a mask when using FF?? or is it because this is one of the ingredients you that you should wear a mask>>>

maybe I just ask to many questions.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yes you should where a mask when using this stuff. I don't always, but anymore, I am always wearing a Buff and that works.
[signature]
is that only in its raw form....or as the end product as well (frog fanny)...??
[signature]
Frog Fanny is like baking powder. It does fly everywhere when putting it on with a brush. But if I am ingesting, it is a micro amount I am sure.
But I grew up with lead in gas and paint...LOL
[signature]
didnt we all grow up with those lead supplements to our diet... and drinking water out of a hose... and riding bikes everywhere... and omg.. no internet or tv.. just radio.. ??
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif]You forgot to mention that in years gone by every creek or bit of water seemed to contain one to several species of fish.
[signature]
I always thought it was just "Trout of many Colors" LOL
[signature]
rainbow ????? [cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif]Well before I got hung up on fishing for trout, it use to be pickerel, sunnies, bass and suckers and tin cans. lol
[signature]
[quote macfly55]rainbow ????? [cool][/quote]

Brown, Rainbow, Cutthroat (several different Strains), and although not a real trout, Brookies
[signature]
hey Im just happy to catch a fish... :-)
[signature]
I got the floatant the other day, and I have been playing with it. It is very hydrophobic! Works great on flies. I am finding that a little dusted in will do a lot.

I put some in a very small plastic bottle and used a little makeup brush for applying it.

I think it is best to put it on the fly before you get it wet. It repels water the amazingly. I don't know what happens after a fish or two slimes the fly. I imagine that I will treat it pretty much the same as with other floatants .... rinse, dry, and redust it? I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, ..... but soon!!!!

It is a very fine powder, so you do want to be careful when putting some of it in a small container not to stir it up so that it gets in the air. You do not want to breath silica dust! I did it under my kitchen exhaust fan since it goes outside, and I wore a mask. Not too much went into the air.

In use on a stream, the amount you get out on a brush to dust a fly with is very small and shouldn't be a problem. Besides the big problem will probably be the 90mph "breeze" I usually end up fishing in! I would still be careful though.

It is better to emphasis the "be careful", than for people to be unaware. It isn't as bad as crystalline silica that causes silicosis, but it is an insoluble dust that can cause problems. It isn't poisonous, nor does it give off fumes. Just take normal precautions not to breath in the dust. Be safe when handling anything like this fine of a powder. It doesn't desolve, so unless you cough it out --- it is there. Trust me you don't want any kind of a lung overload!
[signature]
It is the ONLY floatant for CDC!
[signature]
fletching powder is the same thing. You get from sports supply places that are heavily into bow hunting or target arrow shooting. But alas, I always end up buying the frogs fanny cause I never think about it until I am out of it and want more NOW!

Really I like carring around the bottle that says Frogs Fanny.

Also like carrying around Cat Crap because of the name.

Okay I lied. It is because they work great.
[signature]
Ok, I have to ask --- what is "Cat Crap"?? Well, besides what is in a litter box. ... [blush][blush]

We do have a jar of "Butt Paste" though! [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

(for grandkids ... diaper rash)
[signature]
I figured you were already familiar with Cat Crap.

It is an antifog and lens cleaning paste. It works wonders on ski googles but I also carry it for high mountain streams and lakes where huffing and puffing trails and streamsides gets the sunglasses or reading glasses fogged up on those cool crisp morning and evenings.

[url "http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3656746"]http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3656746[/url]
[signature]