Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing from a Tube/Toon
Just a little spin on this. I know several have Fly Fishing gear and use it on occasion dragging a nymph or a bugger in a trolling fashion.
This is a good way to cover a lot of water and can be quite productive.
And of course, those that are comfortable enough to cast and strip do well.
But, I wanted to talk about my favorite style. Deep nymphing.
All you need is a floating line which I am sure you all have. Next, mono or fluoro or whatever fishing line you have in whatever weight.
The length depends on where you fish, so I do have a board with 20', 25', 30' leaders pre made with a loop on one end that attach straight to the fly line.

Sonar is great as you need to know what the depth is, but one of those lead sinkers used for ice fishing can work as well.

In Utah you can fish two lure, hooks, flies on one line so use this. Attach a tag about two feet up from end of leader and add a second fly.

You will also need an indicator to suspend the flies off the bottom (like ice fishing or jigging) In which cast, either get one that is easy to take off, or get the slip indicators.

Now you set the indicator and drop the flies. Kick back a bit and peel out some line.
I usually do not wait long for that indicator to go down.

Okay, so no casting, so wind is actually a good thing. You don't need to fish nymphs or chironomids, you can fish buggers this way too.

Next time out, try it.[cool][Wink]
[signature]
Does color matter or do you suggest flurocarbon ?
[signature]
I only use fluoro, so I can't speak from other choices.

I would also like to add one more thing on this. Look at the water, specially right now. You will see shucks. Chironomids.
Easiest fly (next to a San Juan Worm) to tie. Bead or no bead. A white tuft or a white bead for gills, thread and wire...that is it.
[signature]
Can you explain more or show what you use to keep your pre-made leaders on? Thanks!

BTW it was great seeing a master in action using this technique!! FG really catches some nice fish with this, but so far I really stink at it! (as in skunk!) [blush][blush][blush]
I will try again though!!![:p]
[signature]
I say a board as it is cheap and easy to make. I actually use an Orvis dropper box rig.
The inserts are exactly 6" long so easy to measure out the feet I need.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/17061780213...r&_lwgsi=y

Plus they are small and take up little room.
I have the box with 5 of these so really easy to have each one house a different length. And they are on sale!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=76KH
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great info.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Definitely an effective method and it accounts for lots of nice fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But fishing flies below a bobber? Sheesh.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
its called an indicator OMG!!!!!!!!!!! its what sets us apart among the rest!

yea its a glorified bobber
[signature]
That is a really great way to get some nice fish.
That is one of the systems I use for LMB and bluegill as well and its working very well.
Now, with that 30' leader-after you catch a fish do you
just real all that leader back on the reel or strip
it in by hand ?

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Spin and perception...and deception. Makes the world go round and helps us justify whatever it is we do that we might otherwise be prone to apologize for. You should know all about that from a military standpoint.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not dissing Joni or her fishing. Too much respect for that. She be good. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As my old buddy Dandy Don Meredith used to say "If you can do it...it ain't braggin'". I add to that "If you already done it...it's history."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good to have you back...and fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You do reel. No way do you want to try stripping mono.

Indicator/bobber. Just like calling flies a Lure. They are all for the same purpose.
Just some lures have smell and flavor, and some don't.
The idea on the indicator is to suspend the fly rather than tell you when to grab your pole[Wink]
Only two ways to do that, and that would be an indicator/bobber, or a larger fly which is basically the same thing, but with a hook attached
[signature]
I have one question. Why even bother with a fly rod and fly line with this application?Seems like a perfect technique for just using an ice fishing rod and reel. They're very inexpensive and take up so little room. Could have a fly rod rigged up for casting with you as well if you wanted. Maybe I'll give it a try it with the ice rod the next time I hit still water . Plus that way I won't have to admit that I've used a bobber[Tongue] with my fly rod.
[signature]
You could use a ice pole, you can use that for the rivers too.
Fly gear is my choice, plus mono line doesn't float as well as a floating fly line.
I do not sit right over my fly, which at 30' I guess you could, but I generally have quite a bit of line out in front of me.

The Brian Chan technique of using a fast sinking line with a fly and dropping it down then slow retrieve is also reminiscent of ice fishing and it too could be done with ice fishing gear I suppose.

There is a lot of similarity in all types of fishing..

Again, I only own fly gear and I only use it, so this is just another option for those that do have the gear and do not feel up to trolling. Is this not coming through on my post?
[signature]
[quote riverdog]I have one question. Why even bother with a fly rod and fly line with this application?Seems like a perfect technique for just using an ice fishing rod and reel. They're very inexpensive and take up so little room. Could have a fly rod rigged up for casting with you as well if you wanted. Maybe I'll give it a try it with the ice rod the next time I hit still water . Plus that way I won't have to admit that I've used a bobber[Tongue] with my fly rod.[/quote]
So put your money where your mouth is. Let's hit some stillwater and you can bring your ice pole and give it a try. I'll even take the pictures and post them here. I think that would be a good experiment of thinking outside the box.
Who knows, you may even start a new trend. And if you do use a "bobber", I'll black out your eyes so no one knows it's you[Wink]
[signature]
I was half way being sarcastic ( I know Joni only owns fly rods so why bother buying another rod, reel and line when you can effectively catch fish with a little ingenuity) but then again it doesn't seem like you need a fly rod for this set up. Now I don't own any indicators (unless I have some buried from 10 years ago) let alone a ice rod. But usually if I stop in Sportsman or somewhere they're unloading them for a few bucks this time of year. I don't get that many days in on still water because I prefer wading streams. However with this year overabundance of precipitation maybe I'll get a bit more time on some lakes to try it out. I'll let you know if I get around to it. Probable one reason fly line is effective is lack of stretch with a lot of line out. Maybe I'll try a light braided line with a fluorocarbon tippet. My other thought is you could be deep nymphing with the short ice rod in a holder while casting the fly rod you're holding ( if 2 rods are allowed). The ice rod would be less likely to get in your way as much as a longer rod. Now I'll need a little practice before I'm ready for prime time. If I start finding rivers closer than the 3-4 hour drive I've been doing lately coming down I'm out. I still use bobbers on occasion just not with a fly rod. I won't worry about TD making fun of me with using them with an ice rod so you won't need to black out my eyes. Got to run some errands before I head out in search of fish anyway so I'll see what I find this morning.
[signature]
Please explain the type of indicator that you use and how it works. You have told me before but others may not know.
[signature]
You could do this with other rods, but it does help to have a floating fly line so that you don't get a belly in your line. If you have a belly you will miss lots of fish.

The usual fly of choice for this particular form of deep nymphing is the chironomid. They are a very common insect in lakes and the fish look for them.

Chironomids don't swim. They float straight up from the bottom -- very slowly. As they are building up enough gasses to go up they are suspended about a foot or two above the bottom. They are very vulnerable then, so this is the stage that most want to fish.

To suspend the fly just above the bottom vertically, you need a very long leader and a floating line. The indicator helps to keep the tip of your line from sinking and "swimming" the fly. It also helps to keep the fly at exactly the depth you want it to stay at. If the depth isn't too great and your flies aren't too heavily weighted you can do it with out an indicator.

The "slip indicators" are better for this than a fixed float of any kind, because when you get a fish on the pin on the indicator comes out and allows it to slide down your leader so that you can reel in all of that extra leader.

You could just use a sinking line and occasionally you will get your fly in the right zone, but not very often. Plus it will usually swim the fly more horizontally or even down when the real bug is straight upright and pretty much static or slowly rising.

I have seen FG catch some really big fish with this technique. It is very effective for big fish that are wise to a lot of other offerings.
[signature]
[quote crappiecrazy]Please explain the type of indicator that you use and how it works. You have told me before but others may not know.[/quote]
Like cpierce mentions, a slip indicator. Phil Rowley sells them for an outrageous price, and calls them "Phil bobs". PM Flygoddess, she sells them for a lot less.
[signature]
Riverdog, check some of the U.K. and other Euro fly fishing sites and see their style of stillwater fishing along with their type of river fishing.
Yes, the rest of the world has fly fishers too, along with different techniques.
[signature]
Pm me an address and I can send you one to try crappie.

My sister in-law is great at spin fishing, but just can't get into fly fishing end. So, I did exactly what Riverdog suggested, only with a regular spinning rod and mono.

Rigged her up with a stopper and the indicator and attached fly. She catches fish.

I am by no means a purist when it comes to fishing. I don't think of tweed nickers, and cap and fishing only wet flies with bamboo, but to be honest, that is where it began.
I do hear it all the time about indicator/bobbers...even those who swear dry fly and moving water is the true form.....is it? Or is it all there "was".

Times have changed, different tech, and equipment, but all the same mission.

Try different styles and enjoy it, it don't get any better than that.
[signature]
This definately sounds like an interesting way of fishing. In two weeks I will be down on Boulder Mountain and if the fish are being picky about what they want to eat I may try this with some scuds.[cool]
[signature]