Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon Loadup 6-13-11
"Why do they think that they need to do stupid things like that?"

[cool][#0000ff]I have a philosopy that goes "Anytime you ask a question...beginning with the word WHY...and it has to do with people...there just ain't a good answer."[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Now, when you ask that question about a member of the power squadron there can be lots of answers:[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]1. No brains...no ability to reason.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]2. Brains left on the boat trailer.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]3. Gasoline and water...with a bit of alcohol...leads to an overload of testosterone and a decrease in common sense.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]4. The assumption that along with their boat license they have the license to antagonize everybody else around them...without consequences.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Daddy ain't lookin'. They got the boat and the keys from daddy but he is too busy to show up and supervise what the kids are doing with it. And since he is also a PS member he probably doesn't really care. He may have actually trained them. Some diseases are genetic and are passed on from generation to generation.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I could fill books with stories I have "lived" or heard firsthand from fellow anglers about the harebrained stunts some of these idiots perform. The only good thing is that they are pretty good about "thinning the herd". They either kill themselves or fellow "PSMs" (power squadron members). Unfortunately...just as with automobiles...the PSMs also take out a lot of innocent folks who are obeying all the rules and just trying to have a good time. Too bad they choose to try to share their water with the bad guys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where are the rangers when you need 'em?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Flash78][#4040ff]. . . some mentally challenged member of the "power squadron" came into to Lindon on plane all the way to the boat ramps. . . .[/#4040ff][/quote]
Noonish Saturday when I launched and puttered the harbor there was a group of kids swimming off the launch dock. Tried to swim to the private dock, then realized it was private and tried to swim back. One almost didn't make it - looked like a wounded minnow floating on her back, turning in all the wrong directions cuz she couldn't see which way she was going.

One of the PS crew hollered at them to get away from there - cuz of boats like that coming and going. Darwin at work!

Quote:[#4040ff]Judging from the hooks and the paint job it appears you assemble your own crank baits too...Amazing..is there any part of the fishing world you don't tinker with, except maybe the line?[/#4040ff]
Don't you know - his spins dross into mono! Or maybe it's forming Greg Ooze into jig heads. Sounds more like something out of the D&D world.

Quote:[#0000ff] I made it sound easier than it was[/#0000ff]
[#ff0000]AHA! I thought so! Fisherman's tails, hmmm.[/#ff0000]

Ok - so I went north and you went south. Hmmm. (plus you know what you're doing, where, how, and with what)
Actually had every intention of visiting the bubble up sat, but when my gas motor wouldn't crank - my trip got cut short. The wind and growing waves didn't help. Was trying to locate the river inlet to the north. Feller had pointed me that way before launch. And those reeds just looked promising.

Pat - I loved the imagery you painted from Da Knolls trip. A magic point there - kids on white bass, toss over a few fresh minnows - bang - catman-doo! Couple jigs to a b-tangler, and game on. He's a magic man, oh yeah!
Some day I'm dragging your HGS down for a touch of that magic!!!

But I think you made a mistake yesterday. Targeting Walleye? Aren't you the one who says Walleye are mostly caught when you're targeting OTHER species? lol

Thanks for another great post just to rub our noses in it and make us come back for more wishful thinking and masochistic punishment as we donate lure after lure to the great fish-gods below!
No - but seriously - you inspire and breath hope to us lesser-anglers. At least we know what the fish SHOULD look like!
we did a drift by and a few casts last week at the end of the bouy's. Nothin. caught a few cats on the north end.

But... how should we feel about eh Eastern shore between Lindon and the bubble up. it's bare, scarce and i have lost a lot of good fishin holes.

Should we be impressed they have killed everything off and cleaned up the shore line?

Should i be mad? Should i be happy? seems I read a post from you TD, about them cleaning up and giving more shoreline access to the lake. is this part of it?

Not sure how i feel about it yet. Loved the cover that was there. we even slayed a few ducks hunting that stretch. nice short easy walk from the ramp.

Is it progress?
[signature]
But I think you made a mistake yesterday. Targeting Walleye? Aren't you the one who says Walleye are mostly caught when you're targeting OTHER species? lol "

[cool][#0000ff]I am justifiably proud of the experiences I have had on Utah Lake and the knowledge I THINK I have accumulated. And for that reason I would never be so vain as to proclaim "Today I go forth for walleye alone." That is laughable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In truth, I simply agreed with myself that I had no need or desire to gather any more catfish flesh so I would be fishing mostly for species that responded better to artificial lures than meat. I knew full well that those wascally whiskerfish got no class and that they would do their best to thwart my plans. I also knew that the walleyes would be cracking up and rolling on the bottom in mirth if they got wind (water) of my evil plans.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started by dragging a FLIG...floating jig...with a half crawler on it. That slays the walleyes at Starvation. Yesterday it slayed a crappie and a catfish and a couple of white bass. Figures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I was dragging the "flig" on one rod, I was also casting and retrieving a 4" custom colored red and chartreuse twister jig. You guessed it. No walleyes but one catfish, a couple of white bass (even on the 4/0 hook) and a tail-taker carpinski.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did take minnows but I "employed" them only after reaching the 10' to 12' depths...at which I might expect to find walleye under the white bass, but at which no self respecting Utah Lake kittyfish would be hanging out. But, catfish got no self-respect either. My walleye-intended minnows got snarfed by masochistic catfish as soon as they reached the bottom. I know the walleyes were there...and wanted my minnows...but the evil catfish just wouldn't let it happen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do hope you don't ever think I make posts to seek glory or "rub noses". I try to make them informative and to provide info to help others "think" through the process. Just "showing up" at a spot is no guarantee of success. Ditto for buying and using the "hot lure". There is a complete process of thinking, planning and application that goes into each trip...not just "chuck and chance it".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am properly grateful for all the help I have been given by generous folks over the years. I try to combine that with some of my own (wild and crazy) creativity to come up with new stuff. When some of it actually works, I am glad to share it when I can.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I DO encounter a lot of "lurkers" when I am out fishing, who admit to reading BFT forums but who haven't registered or posted. It breaks my heart when they say "I never have anything good to post". I try to tell them that simply sharing a nice day on the water with other readers is often enough. There are lots of folks who can't ever get away...or who have physical or financial limitations that prohibit them from enjoying a lot of the fun things we take for granted. It's nice for me to know that maybe...just maybe...I can help brighten their day and let them live a bit vicariously through posts and pictures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cache County Boys...COME ON DOWN.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For me, school is still out on the "improvements". I need to fish it a few times during the course of the year to form a real opinion. My gut feeling is that they did it more for "esoteric" reasons...for basic appearance...rather than to enhance the wildlife habitat or improve fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are still miles of shoreline with plenty of brush and reeds. But there were some special pockets and holes in that area...at the right depths...that almost always held fish. You and I shared a couple of those last year. There will still be some offshore reed beds, but without the shoreline vegetation it will not be the same.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I watched the progress of the "eradication program" and wondered how far they were going to take it. Also wondered what impact it might have on the resident critters and fishes. The first clue came when I caught a big ol' kitty back in March, right after iceout. It was full of small frogs. (see attached picture) I have NEVER caught another cat from Utah Lake that had even ONE of these small frogs in it. My best guess is that they were burrowed in the mud before the shoreline cover was burned and removed late last fall. When they came out of hibernation their homes were gone and they were exposed...to catfish predators.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished Utah Lake in the days before all of the invasive plant species began to ring the lake and take over the shoreline. In those days (the 70's) that stretch of shoreline was rocky rubble and clean sand. It was a highway for all species and was especially good for bank tanglin'. I used to paddle my tube along the shoreline tossing plastic jigs and about this time of year I caught lots of walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure some folks are happy with the new look. I noticed several bank tanglers fishing along there Monday. First spring in many years it has been open enough to fish. I didn't see them catching anything but the fish will come in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm sure it is all part of the Utah County Park system of upgrading. The put in that new free access park to the south of Lindon and the nice bike trail around the shoreline. But the heavy growths of reeds and other vegetation kept it an area where "certain elements" of society would use the growth as cover for their misdeeds. It was not a good place for family oriented folks to go. It was hoped that by removing the screens it would deter those unwanted activities...as well as duck hunting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey, you still got a lot of cover to hide in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DEAL WITH IT.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Many of us have been edumacated, entertained and motivated to step out of our comfort zones. Your posts and pictures for those doubters that have to see a pic have demonstrated a cetain expertise when it come to things fishy. While I still havent decked out my tube with all those goodies I still plan to at least to a degree. I am glad thaat you share your experiences and knowledge that is in my mind what this forum should be about. Yeah and even on the days that the only pics are of the scenery and good friends that helped make the day memorable it should be about sharing.
[signature]
Wow... cool pic.
[signature]
the invasive plant you refer to is phragmites, as I'm sure you know. If anyone knows anything about frag they know it's about the worst thing to happen to our lake and wetland ecosystems in the last 100 years and does NOTHING to enrich our wild places. It grows so thickly that it outcompetes all native species and doesn't provide cover for waterfowl. The govt is spending huge amounts of money to get rid of the stuff which is a huge task but if we don't fund it we'll end up losing our shorelines and marshes. It's seriously bad stuff and if you didn't know that do a bit of research, this is something worth fighting.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/habitat/ans/phragmites.php
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good points. Good link.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, I know all about the "fraggies". Hate that stuff. I am amazed at how much of our wetlands it has taken over in a relatively short time. That and the tamarisk. Going back to the 70's and 80's I could walk to the water around Utah Lake almost anywhere I wanted. Much fewer reeds and cattails and absolutely no phragmites or tamarisk. After 20 years in Arizona I returned (2004) to find many of my formerly favorite access spots virtually inaccessible.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know in talking with DNR folks that they are quite frustrated by that stuff. They can spend a lot of time and money on "burns" and it grows right back within a year or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably the only way to get rid of it is to spread the rumor that is a vitamin-rich delicacy...that improves your "love life"...and then put it on the protected plants list. Then the folks who enjoy breaking the law will rip it all out in a year or so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of the joke down in Texas about how to get rid of Johnson grass...pour whiskey on it and the Baptists will chew it down to the roots. (Apologies to Baptists. Not my joke.)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Might be a "local" corollary but I wouldn't DARE go there. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sniff, sniff. Kumbayah and all that. Thanks for the kindly sentiments.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When you get ready for some tube bling you are welcome to bring your ride to the tubeatorium. I'll be glad to show you the options and help you put it together if you like.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I appreciate that. I am looking at just a couple rod holders one in the outrigger position. and possibly somthing for the sonar. I doubt my simple skill could manage all that wonderful stuff on your ride. I would be grabbin a rod instead of the net. But seriously your advise on fins, boat shoes and seating have made the trips on the tube more fun.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have helped set up just about any kind of tube available so I am familiar with the differences. It all boils down to how many D rings you got...and where...and what you want your stuff to do for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like a lot of things, it can be confusing if you've never done it before but simple if you have. Been that...done there...or whatever.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to help whenever you're ready. Always up for snortin' some PVC dust.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Regarding the fraggies, some one at Utah State was looking into the possiblility of using them as cattle fodder, have not heard if it panned out or not. Another thing, do you know if NPS still has any of those bodies left. I only got a couple of packs last time I was there and need some more !!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't been in there for awhile. I was disappointed on my last couple of visits. Fishing area was greatly reduced and most of the stuff they had in there was junk. Not sure if they ever got in any more of the lure blanks. Didn't see any last time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BUT...do not despair. I was part of the reason they ran out. I bought a shoe box full...before the hoarders got there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can do some negotiating on your next visit to the tackletorium...or I can send you some...for a price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]