Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly fishing ponds and small lakes
Im new to the forum and still a rookie at fly fishing i basically taught myself.i will be fishing a set of ponds and a small lake in central NM known as Tingley Beach. there are a few species im goin for like bluegill, bass, brown and rainbow trout. i have a few assortment of flies, but ive really wanted to try some panfish poppers that was given to me by my late grandmother. basically what i want to know is will the poppers give me decent results with the trout? or should i just get some different ones. ive never fly fished still water ive always fished rivers and streams.

which flies would work for me out of the ones i already have?
[signature]
Welcome. Nice looking box of flies. I have never used a popper for a Trout, but anything is possible. Those nymphs and pistol pete will do the job though.

The Wet Wulff (one with the red band) is a great go to fly for stillwater.
[signature]
Your wooly worms and many of the nymphs you have would probably work for the trout and the panfish.

You might also check with fly shops that are local to the area and ask for suggestions.
[signature]
Im not too sure about a popper and a trout but I can tell you they work for bass and panfish ... use it like you would when fishing those species anywhere.. in close or off of reeds.. low tree lines etc.. slow retrieve and you should get some hits..

Ive not had success with a pistol pete (fly with a propeller on it)... but that is probably me than the fly .. the rest of your nymphs (almost all of your second box shot).. should get a rise out a few fish..

and.. as Cindy said.. check with local shops to see what is biting and what to use..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]