Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made it to OR
So, I'm in Coos Bay now... wonder what Ill fish for first.

Should I go fish the rivers for trout and shad?

Or should I go to the estuaries and fish for giant white sturgeon?

Maybe I'll go lingcod fishing with my wife's uncle...

I could go crabbing while I wait. I can see the bay from my mother-in-law's living room. A 4 minute walk will put me on an awesome crabbing pier.

I also have the Empire lakes about 5 minutes behind me where trout are plentiful.

Or there is the Tenmile lakes Syn was talking about. Only fifteen minutes from that one.

Ah, the decision I have to make... And only a week to make them!
[signature]
You're making me jealous. Wink Being stuck in side at work blows.
[signature]
[cool]Time to get busy. The shad are american shad and can go to 4 pounds. I tried for them some years back in the american river by sacramento. Poor mans tarpon they are called. Have fun with your decision.
[signature]
Trout in the day, giant sturgeon at night - you lucky bastard!!! I need a northern trip soon, I can only desperately squeeze the juice out of the urban ponds and same mead species till I start wanting to pull something else in - Soak it in whizzle!! I heard it 50-60 degrees up there now, wish I was there too man
[signature]
JEALOUS...... u are right over in the empire area i see. i used to get hella crab from the michigan street pier, and clams from right below the pier at low tide, and numerous different species of fish from the pier too but mostly striped perch an jack smelt. empire lakes are fun too walmart right across the street for any tackle u may need. then of course ten mile lakes up the way. have a great trip whizzle.[fishon]
[signature]
Well, that was a pretty cool first day of fishing....

I started at 7am at middle Empire lake. No takers, screw this, off to UPPER empire lake. No takers there. A short drive put us on lower empire lake. Dang, nothin again.

"Screw trout, let's go to Charleston! " says my sister-in-law. So we went and fished the jetty for lingcod. This time.......

[Image: skunk.jpg]

Tomorrow is a new day. Hell, so is tonight. I might find myself on the Michigan pier crabbing this evening. Just have to walk down wasson to michigan and Im there.

My wife's uncle is taking us out to open ocean on his private boat Sunday. Im shooting for a big ol' ling.

Tomorrow I am heading to Winston to visit more family, and Im going to fish for smallies and trout (if that is what's in there) on the Umpqua River.
[Image: Steelhead_Pool_Umpqua_River_Oregon.jpg]

Man, im almost making MYSELF jealous!
[signature]
Quote:Man, im almost making MYSELF jealous![angelic]

Well you made me jealous, look at that river! And all that green around it! Looks amazing!
[signature]
We tried to go ocean fishing yesterday...

Launched in the bay at about 6:15am to extremely glassy conditions. We headed towards the bay's mouth. We had intentions of dropping three crab pots on the way out, so we stopped to set the first one.
[Image: crab-pot-square.jpg]

We had fifty feet of rope, and two of those buoys per line. When we dropped the first pot in 25' of water, the raging tidal current dragged all fifty feet of rope and BOTH buoys underwater in about ten seconds, and the trap was gone. Like the twilight zone.

We searched for about an hour trying to find anything, when I spotted a little ripple on the water where the buoys had been bobbing underwater. We thought we hit some weird freak current or a little whirl pool or something, so we set another pot out about 200 yds away. Same thing happened. We decided to set the line in 19' of water to avoid the insane currents, and we set off towards sea.

As we headed in the direction of the mouth of the bay, we see a commercial fishing boat heading in to the bay... "That's not right, he should be going out, not in" says our captain... We are still in the bay, and we are driving through a 2 foot swell. Within ONE MINUTE (im not exaggerating, this day was a total twilight zone day) we were driving into a fifteen foot swell. Never in my life had I seen such big waves on the ocean. I about messed myself. In a split second, we were doing a 180, hauling back towards the bay. The giant waves had different plans, though, and they were faster than our 20' river boat with a 115hp on it. The first wave picked us up, and we surfed it for a good 30 seconds, but we couldnt keep up, and the boat fell into the wave's lull. The insane power of the wave turned the boat broadside, and damn near flipped us. I though I was going to die for a minute there. Our captain, Uncle Frank, kept his shizz together and about-faced the boat in time to surf the second wave, and he was able to keep the waves at our back until we were in safe water.

We went to find the crab pots, and again, the buoys had disappeared. We were smarter this time and hit plots on the gps. Three legal dungeness crab to boot, and no lings. I'm lucky I came back....
[signature]
dayum[shocked]
[signature]
[shocked] OMG!!! i would have soiled myself. crossing that bar can be terrifying at times. sometimes i was even scared to go out onto the south jetty cause of tidal surges, sorry u are striking out up there man, have u had any luck yet? i'm glad you are safe.[bobscared]
[signature]
That will get the blood pumpin. Good to know you're alright! Keep us posted on the rest of the trip.
[signature]
Just got back it was my father's day trip with my dad and brother. I caught 5 shakers fish (under 41 inches) and this 51 inch keeper!!!

Heavy guy had to force myself to Smile while holding up. I was smiling while the fight was on my dad said I looked so happy, he could stop laughing. Mud Marlin, Rock!
[signature]