Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead gone wild!
What a great day we had today! Here's how it went:

Saturday, 09/13-Fished pm, on the water at 4:00. Thought we would head over to Swallow Cove and see what we could scratch up. We saw nothing on our way through Las Vegas Bay. Not so much as a splash on the water. As we rounded Black Island we noticed some heavy bird action in a small cove to our left. You know, lots of gulls and terns (or whatever kind of birds they are) diving in the water. We moved in quick. JACKPOT! the entire cove was filled with stripers and we were the only boat around. We fished the cove and surrounding points for over two hours. A boil would surface and we would fish until it would end at the shoreline, then we would wait for the next boil and do it again. When all the action seemed to have stopped for the day we counted our fish. We were very pleased that our catch totaled 38! Most of the stripers were in the two pound range, all very fat and healthy.On the way back to the dock we ran into a large boil near the mid-channel bouy outside of Gov't Wash (along with about 20 other boats) and caught our last two fish! Both about three pounds, the biggest of the day. WOW!, our first limit of the season.

Every fish was caught on a Storm 4" wild eyed shad. When the boil would end we would retie or replace the lure (Stripers nip the tails right off sometimes). My partner,Don, uses a heavy spinning outfit that cranks stripers in fast, I used a light spinning rig today and had a blast. Most of the anglers I talked to at the dock were successful today. I can't wait until tomorrow. I hope it goes wild again!

BaySport
[signature]
great report!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You know, I'm starting to feel slighted here! I usually know all this stuff before you guys! I'm now second to BFT/Nevada! ARRRRH![cool][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Great day on the water. Boil fishing is the best for hot action. You need to start throwing the top water stuff. Nothing beats top water for fun. When those fish explode on a popper or zara spook as it's being worked on the surface, there's nothing like it. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll bet Don was pretty busy filleting fish![/size][/font]
[signature]
Don can handle it. That's our deal, besides he does'nt think I know how to clean a fish! Lets keep it that way.
BaySport
[signature]
For top water, I liked almost any pencil popper because of the aggressive chase. They'd chase a pencil popper for yards through the water missing it, and missing it, and missing it, and then WHAM, fish on. But my favorite was a 4 inch Raindow Zara Spook, blue back, pink side, white bottom, all pearlescent. "Walk the dog" and WHAM. They usually never missed the Spook, probably because it wasn't movin' as fast.

Great report! I think I'm having heart palpitations! I hope I can slow it down so I can go to sleep.
[signature]
I'm going to try some of those top water lures one of these days. I've mostly stayed with single hook plastic shad imitators. Sassy Shads, Storm Wild Eye Swim Shad, Castic, etc. Some of these fast boils that we hit require a lure that is easy to remove so you can get your line back in the water before the stripers vanish. I also like a lure that can sink if I choose that type of presentation. I see a lot of anglers using top water lures, they are successful and enjoy them. I picked up some Crippled Herring lures for jigging. I'll give them a shot one of these days. Let me know when your coming to town so we can try our luck.
BaySport
[signature]
GREAT REPORT. I'VE NEVER TRIED A ZARA SPOOK WHAT EXACTLY IS IT? I HAVE CAUGHT SOME FISH ON A POPPER THOUGH AND IT WAS ONE OF THE FUNNEST FISH I'VE EVER CAUGHT.
[signature]