Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Spot?
Hey Tubers: I rode my bike across the Appian Way bridge in Long Beach. The tide was ripping in from a minus low. I stopped in the middle of the bridge and watched the current eddies coming off the pilings and to my surprise witnessed thousand of 2 inch anchovies rolling in the current.I'll bet there are plenty of quality predators munching away on them. You can't fish from the bridge but you could launch a tube easily about 50 yards away from the Marine Stadium launch area. It's about time for the white sea bass, especially around and under those meat balls of "chovies".Use JapanRons' 2 inch tails, anchovy colors.....guaranteed!
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on the possible spot. I'm always on the lookout for new spots.[Smile]
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Mother's Beach is an easy launch, as you say, and they have nice facilities there with an always clean restroom, shower, shade trees, and picnic tables. Go early to get a street parking space (free) instead of the metered parking lot.

And.....the fish cleaning sink is near the bridge by the handicapped only parking lot (be careful as it closes earliest). If you look straight down into the water from that sea wall w/ the railing you'll see halibut the size of a dinner plate even laying of the flatter rocks. Lots of open sandy areas between the weed beds, no doubt used for ambushing little innocent anchovies.

Since the authorities took down the fences, access and exit of the park is easy. Just don't stay too late or the cops get suspicious. Early seems to be OK with them.

I've fished my head off from shore at the launch ramp just outside the olympic stadium (gradual, smooth cement slope and all that) and come out a no-fish-hit angler (high, low tide, big surge, no surge) every time. I got a stupid bi-valve once. Thrown almost everything in the book. Like you say the tubes the deal and I've done well. But... I like the shore fishing challenge too.

I'm supposed to be there right now but turned out it's a no go this morning. Oh well, I just play with my tackle and surf.

Your faithful reader and buddy,

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]I was supposed to be there too. I loaded up last night and was ready and woke up this morning sick as a dog[unsure][/size]

[size 2]I have been feeling sort of sick all week and I guess it decided today I will be sick all day.[/size]

[size 2] I hope the guys did well. [/size]

[size 2] Huntington Harbor has live smelt schools that come in during High Tide. And the Halibut are right behind them.[/size]

[size 2] I would toss live smelt out into the incoming tide near the entrance of the bay and wam![Wink][/size]
[signature]
too bad your sick,[pirate]I hope you start feeling better soon.
[signature]
You said it. i arrived at mothers this mornig at 5:30am. I forgot my lights so I waited untill 6:00 more light. I did not hang around for the tide change but I can say that Al's AAA grey and white three inch curly tail jigs killed them for me. I did not get any legals but there was a fish at the base of almost every outer pillar on that bridge. Biggest halibut came in at nineteen inches. All sand bass were short as well.
[signature]
well..... i got SKUNKED!!!! i dont know what was wrong with me. i dont even want to think about it anymore.

chris and aaron both got a bunch of shorts with the biggest being around 14". lots of sandies and one calico.

haha i forgot your cell phone # at home, so i couldnt call you

the red tide was really visible over there. but it seemed like the halibut bit more, and the sandies bit less....[crazy][crazy]

joe
[signature]
[size 2]Yeah Joe when that Red Tide moves in platics are less productive. Time to switch to squid or live smelt.[/size]

[size 2] Early morning tide sucks next weekend so I might do some shore or pier fishing. [/size]
[signature]