Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov't Wash Bassin' 6/18
[font "Calibri"][/font]Went to gov't wash (the western half) early this morning for some solo shore action. I focused on cranks exclusively. It was grueling work under the hot desert sun. Blind casted back coves and hoped for the best.

I covered 2 miles of rough shoreline, tumbled down a hill, got sunburned, fell in the drink, broke a fish off and lost 4 crank baits.[crazy]

For my sacrifice I was rewarded 3 decent LMbass. The biggest one blessed me with an acrobatic show and really got my adrenaline pumping. All fish released to fight another day. Not bad for 1000 or so casts. Enjoy
[Wink]
Note - The whole wash was packed with hundreds of people having fun in the sun.
[inline 005.JPG]

[inline 011.JPG]

[inline 007.JPG]

[inline 013.JPG]

[inline 009.JPG]
[signature]
Looks like you waited a little to late to release the fish in the last photo. Smile
[signature]
[quote gnelson651]Looks like you waited a little to late to release the fish in the last photo. Smile[/quote]

Oops ! he was a fiesty one I dropped him during the struggle. God I hope he lives [angelic]
[signature]
I re-read your reply and your talkin about the coyote dinner I thought you were talking about the muddy bass.[cool]
[signature]
Hey I got that same crank bait hahaha i got burnt up today too man it was brutal as hell - I woke up really early and decided to try and find some new spots, so I started up at the shores along callville and got stuck in this one spot where I was getting played by this really good size bass i kept seeing. For the first time in a while I actually got pissed while fishing! It all started with a new rattletrap I bough, he hit it and I I set the hook too fast and yanked it away. So I threw on a chartreuse spinner bait, after about 15 casts he hit HARD! He took off, peeling line off - But shook it off!!! What the hell!! So after trying some soft plastics and crank baits that he didn't care for, I started some finesse. I threw out a 4 inch hand poured with a nail wait in the head and to my surprise he sucked it up on the first cast before it hit the bottom, I waited this time to set the hook, and got him! BUT HE SHOOK IT OFF!! I was seriously kicking the dirt lol I couldn't believe it! So I switched up the soft plastic to a 6 inch wacky rigged purple worm w/ a nail weight in the head, but I couldn't see him anymore. I started walking the cove pitching around trying to bring him back around and found him again holding near a big boulder, so I really buckled down and realized this was prob my last chance. i dropped it down next to the rock and just let it sit, making it barely shake and dragging it now and then. After a few casts and 20 minutes, he sucked it up and started running, I was so damn relieved!!! He was peeling my line off of a tight drag, line singing and everything! I was sure I had him, BUT HE GOT AWAY!!!! HOW?!? And he took my worm!!!!! What the hell man?! I haven't been so frustrated fishing in a long time! I felt like a total failure lol anyways, now I'm at work - I just had to get that off my chest
[signature]
[quote ihuntforfish]... after about 15 casts he hit HARD! He took off, peeling line off - But shook it off!!!

..., I waited this time to set the hook, and got him! BUT HE SHOOK IT OFF!! I

...He was peeling my line off of a tight drag, line singing and everything! I was sure I had him, BUT HE GOT AWAY!!!! [/quote]

BigBadBass = 3
ihunt4fish = 0
[signature]
hahahahaha that actually made me laugh - but the bass actually gets an extra point for stabbing me in the heart lol
[signature]
Hey nice fish btw 4pound!! That second one is good size and that last one looks like it was pretty tasty hahah gotta love catchin bass
[signature]
[font "Calibri"][/font][cool] LOL you guys are killing me. I saw dozens of carp carcasses along the shoreline. They are a big part of the coyote diet during this time of year; they actively hunt them in the muddy shallows.

Quite a sight to witness. You can usually tell because they only eat the belly out with a sweet tooth for the roe filled fems. Anybody see the bird leg in that pic?

I find while bass fishing I don’t have patience to dropshot, jig, finesse, sight fish etc. I’m always searching for active fish by casting cranks, spinnerbaits and swimbaits.

I also prefer off the wall unnatural colors like orange, pink, chartreuse. I move on to the next cove if I get no bites. The key to this stubborn tactic is become a proficient casting machine cast after cast gets the job done.
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly][font "Calibri"][/font][cool] LOL you guys are killing me. I saw dozens of carp carcasses along the shoreline. They are a big part of the coyote diet during this time of year; they actively hunt them in the muddy shallows.

Quite a sight to witness. You can usually tell because they only eat the belly out with a sweet tooth for the roe filled fems. Anybody see the bird leg in that pic?
[/quote]

I see the bird leg now. So what happened? The bird ate the fish and the coyote ate the bird? Who services chicken with fish? What would they call it on the menu-

Fins and Fowl?

Bills and Gills?

Chic N Fillet?
[signature]
mannn you should really try that finesse tactic I talked about - I never really got into drop shot or had luck wityh it, but this way works like a damn charm lol...anyways, the finesse tactic I've been usin like crazy is a rig called the neko rig (check this vid out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ezYRrn7_I ) - Its basically just a soft plastic with a nail shaped weight in the head (I use real nails and screws on my tight budget) attached to a small hook (size one or two) in the middle. People always make finesse fishing sound so time consuming, but honestly, you can catch fish so quickly with rigs like this. Its like power-finessing - Give it a try man, next time you come up to a real bassy cove, toss that right on top of where you suspect there's fish, its so quiet so you won't spook em - if you don't catch anything in like 5-10 minutes, I'd switch to something else lol but seriously, that thing is a killer
[signature]