Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Cortez, EAST CAPE-AWAY FROM IT ALL
AWAY FROM IT ALL
John Lowther has come to Rancho Buena Vista with family and friends for the last 18 years. The last several of those years he has chartered our Jen Wren boats for fishing. Time after time he has inquired about doing a multi-day trip where we could have more time to explore the Sea of Cortez.

Now that his resort of choice is no longer in full operation, he decided the time was right so we set up a 5 day 4 night fishing/diving charter. John planned on coming with his wife Mary Ann and youngest son Max. He expressed to me that he has always wondered how fishing would be in the late afternoon/early evening if they didn't have to return to the resort.

Upon requesting the families expectations of this trip to help me with planning and provisions, John sent me this short list.

Max has a bucket list.
He is the only one in the family without a Marlin.
He wants to shoot a fish with a sling or a gun
Max told me to have you bring your best snapper recipe.

Mary Ann said any Vodka and OJ will keep her fine.
Max said a few cold beer and he can drink what ever.

John wishes for great weather and a good time. A nice lobster on the back of the boat would not be bad either.

Day one we departed BV at 8AM and ran to Pescadero. Chuy and I figured we could knock Max's marlin off the bucket list right out of the gate. We trolled to Cerralvo without a bite and stopped at the southern point of the island for a scuba dive. Thankfully the diving was much better then the fishing had been. Then we headed north for Las Cruces where we anchored up for the night. Snorkeling in front of the crosses was excellent and catching a large leopard grouper was a bonus. For dinner we had barbecued spare ribs and corn on the cob after a conch sashimi appetizer.

Day two we left Las Cruces after sun rise and cruised to La Reina. Upon arrival we could see loads of sea life, marlin jumping, birds feeding and big spots of bait in our sounder. Max landed a dorado, then a white Bonita before finally bagging his bucket list marlin. La Reina is an excellent dive sight, but the current appeared to be ripping so we decided to forego the diving. We moved on to El Bajo, then passed Los Islotes and spent the night tucked in a cove at Isla Partida where the sunset was spectacular. For dinner we enjoyed poached grouper and beans and rice with a fresh dorado ceviche for appetizer.

Day three we headed off to dive Las Animas. Conditions were excellent and the diving phenomenal. This sight is always a treat as the fish look like they are on steroids! After the dive we fished our way up to Agua Verde. In the bay snorkeling was fun before a fruitful night dive. After appetizers and cocktails, dinner was barbecued ribeye steak and baked potatoes.

Day four we worked our way back south. Max finally cried uncle so John took the rod and landed a small striper. The highlight of the day was our visit to Isla Coyote where John almost bought a time share! From there we cruised past Isla San Franciscito, Los Islotes and moored up in a different cove at Isla Partida. After another fun dive and fresh sashimi appetizer, dinner consisted of fresh lobster, chicken cordon bleu and potato salad.

Day five we ran back to La Reina where the fishing action was good. Mary Ann asked if there was a place we could stop and have a traditional Mexican lunch. I knew just the place. We picked up the lures and ran to the Bay of Dreams. At the Baja Beach Club the Lowther's dined on chili rellenos and downed a couple pina coladas before our return to Buena Vista.

[Image: BD6-19-1.JPG]
Snorkeling at Las Cruces

[Image: BD6-19-2.JPG]
Chuy with a dandy.

[Image: BD6-19-3.JPG]
Sunrise over Cerralvo Island

[Image: BD6-19-4.JPG]
La Reina

[Image: BD6-19-5.JPG]
Max with our first dorado

[Image: BD6-19-6.JPG]
White bonita make excellent sashimi or seared tuna. It is easy to tell white bonito from other bonito or skip jack by their choppers. It would be a mistake to stick your finger in there.

[Image: BD6-19-7.JPG]
Max battling his first marlin

[Image: BD6-19-8.JPG]
Sunset from Isla Partida

[Image: BD6-19-9.JPG]
Grouper dinner on Jen Wren III

[Image: BD6-19-10.JPG]
How do you like your ribeye?

[Image: BD6-19-11.JPG]
John and Mary Ann contemplating the Coyote time share

[Image: BD6-19-12.JPG]
The salesman told them phase two is going fast.

[Image: BD6-19-13.JPG]
Double hook up on Jack Cravell

Mark Rayor
http://www.thejenwren.com
http://www.vistaseasport.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
[signature]