Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 6/20/11
[cool]Was out on the water in the tube before light again and hooked up to first striper,another dink, at 5:20 am. Caught four more dinks in another cove within an hour. Kicked around to a large bay and finally landed a bigger fish; 2lb.lmb. Kicked toward the main channel and got my final fish, a real small dink striper. All fish caught on the beetlespin and all fish released to play another day. Wind came up about 8am but was completely manageable.
[signature]
You should get that last striper mounted, he's huge!

On a more serious note, I'm gonna have to try a beetlespin out my next time on Mead, you always seem to get something to bite on them.
[signature]

Did you come to shore in the cove below the 33 hole south parking lot at about 11 am? If that was you, I was fishing straight across the cove from you from shore. I was the only one fishing in the area. I gotta admire the way you scrambled up that cliff near where you put in, especially with all that equipment.

I have two questions about the Beetle Spin. It looks like you replaced the original silver colorado blade with a gold willow leaf. Is that right? Also it looks like there's a bigger 'ring' between the swivel and the blade.

What sort of retrieve do you find works best with that lure? Like slow or fast, steady retrieve or twitch-twitch, or something else?

Sorry for giving you the 3rd degree. The reason I'm so curious is because I was using the exact same lure today with no hits. I tried every retrieve I could dream up. I also tried the white with red dot.
[signature]
BigE scrambles up everything. Try hunting with him, if you dare!

Dinks? You better find the bigger models soon. I didn't buy my out of state annual Nevada license for a bunch of dink stripers.

Topwater????

By the way get off the phone I was going to give you a Silverwood report tonight but your freak'n wife must be chatting or something?!
[signature]
thanks for the report[Wink]

I was in LVW last week, on like wednesday night or something and chased all those dink stripers around with a little zara spook. They were boiling like mad[shocked] Top water is the shizznet[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Dennyboy, Yeah that was me. There were a couple of guys fishing in the same spot as you real early in the morning. I will sometimes get a couple small stripers inside that cove. I also do alot of hiking as my friends will attest. As far as the beetlespin I leave it pretty much alone. I do sometimes change out the jig head and the grub. Going for a curly tail or small minnow imitation. I also do just a straight retrieve. Good luck.
[signature]
I'm with you on the hiking alone thing, anyone I take fishing with would rather bake in the hot sun in one spot than hike around - So it actually pays off when you walk the shores since you'll hit water where not many people fish!
[signature]
Uh oh, I messed up the "quote" option.

You said: " I also do just a straight retrieve. "

I'm assuming that means "medium" speed. If not, please advise. I understand that it means no twitching or jigging.

Those two guys were there when I arrived. They got two catfish before I got there and one small striper while I was there. They left an hour before you floated in.

Thanks alot for the info.

Dennyboy
[signature]
Big E,

Thanks for the beetlespin method! Fishing lures is so much more enjoyable than using baits.

Was out there on Saturday at 5 am and hit 3 stripers on a similar setup. They were hitting every other cast for about 15 minutes and then they disappeared. Maybe I better get there at 4 [Sad]
[signature]
i knew i should have bought all of those bettlespins at walmart when they were on clearance for .50 cents. but i have never caught anything on bettlespins in the past. so i passed on them, but my wife picked up a couple for herself cause she thought they were cute LMAO!![fishin]
[signature]