Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers at Willard with a fly
White on yellow and white on blue are my favorites. I fish for them in a very very unorthodox way but it works. For those that say it's hard to catch them on a fly rod, must also be the ones that think it is impossible to be "legally" intoxicated after 5 beers. I'm currently in cabo typing this message out but will post the pics I have when I get home
[signature]
+1 well said TD.

Everyone has their favorite method or technique... one thing Wipers are not, in my opinion, is picky. They are pretty aggressive from my experiences with them. You can catch them on just about anything that moves... from small jigs, flies, topwater, frog imitations, cutbait, crankbaits, worm harnesses, etc, etc...

When they are around and cruising around looking for food - they don't seem to selective to me... if it moves its dead.

I caught 2 very nice wipers (5lbs) today and guess what was in their bellies? Crawdads.
[signature]
Nice posts. But wiper fishing on the fly is a little slow in my humble opinion. 5-6 seconds between casts is a lot of time and effort. It can be rewarding beyond belief, and disappointing in the same language. Fly fishing is not bad by any means, just not my cup of tea. For those who do (flyfish for them) good on'ya. It is a unique way of catching them. Fly fishing is a sport with a 6-7 weight flyrod at willard. It will build muscle and character.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We are definitely on the same page. Whatever kind of fishing you choose...for your own reasons...is your own personal thing. And it is nobody else's concern. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was a fly fisherman long before I ever owned any other kind of tackle. Family heritage to a kid from Idaho. I have been tying flies and fishing with a flyrod for most of my many years on this earth. I actually got fairly good at waving the fairy wand. However, unlike many dedicated fly flingers, I also enjoy fishing with other tackle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are waters, conditions and species situations in which fly tackle and delicate presentations are the best way to get action. But, there are also plenty of places where the fly rod is more of a novelty tool than an efficient fish catcher. As you point out, there is a lot more "ceremony" and time consuming casting routine involved in making each cast and presentation with fly fishing gear. You can make more casts and work a lot more water with spinning or bait casting. Sometimes that is necessary to find and catch the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For most fly flingers the thrill is not always in the total numbers of fish caught in a day but the enjoys of making good casts and then finessing each strike, properly setting the hook and then playing the fish masterfully to the net. A lot more esoterics involved. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But....and a big BUTT it is...that does not make fly fishing a BETTER way of fishing. Nor does it make the fly flinger a better person than someone who chucks bait or casts lures. To many non fly fishermen that is their big complaint about "fly guys" (or gals). Those who wave the long rods seem to revel in gloating about the obscene amounts of money they spend on their foo foo gear and about all the silly things they do just to look good on the water...whether they catch fish or not. More than a few "non-purists" have personal stories of being shunned or being driven off the water by "attitude" when they inadvertantly walk into a nest of fly flingers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line...fly fishing is definitely a developed skill and those who do it well can be justifiably proud of their accomplishments. And, a proficient fly-rodder who also learns all of the fishyology to go along with the mechanics of fly casting can usually count on some measure of success on most waters and most species. More than most other forms of fishing it truly does combine aspects of both art and science. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...waving a longer rod around in the air does not insure that magical powers will flow down through that rod and transform a geek or a doofus into a charismatic superhero. In fact, the exact opposite is more common...and all those long rods attract is lightning. And that ain't all bad. Thins the herd.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
While on the topic of fly r[:/]odders, BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTE[:/]R!
[signature]
[quote iconoclasticPaul]While on the topic of fly r[:/]odders, BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTE[:/]R![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]A common misperception...usually promoted by those with short rods...not the recipients (fish).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Quote:While on the topic of fly r[img]../../../images/gforum/unsure.gif[/img]odders, BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTE[img]../../../images/gforum/unsure.gif[/img]R!
That's NOT what she said.

Your a funny guy. Only suggestion I have is the let people know what they know, and you can do the same.[Wink]
[signature]
Anyone ever troll fly lines out of a boat for wipers? I've been doing it at strawberry for years with success but never thought to try it for a wiper.....might be fun
[signature]
I don't see why you couldn't.

I like to fly fish for bass with bead head buggers. They sink really slowly and can be presented to fish and stay in the strike zone longer. There is something about the way that fly just almost stagnantly taunting fish. When I am jigging with hardware, I get hung up a lot more and the lead sinks the jig fast so it is in the strike zone for only a quick second, unless your jigging vertically. If you know where the fish are I think both ways work great. Then it just comes down to personal preference.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I do have a number of sinking patterns I use on the Bass, but was trying to go after the top water action that was going on. The closest pattern I had to the Dragon fly was a Crane fly, but the color was way wrong. These had a real "grizzly hackle" look to them if you know what I mean.
[signature]
[quote fish_or_die]Anyone ever troll fly lines out of a boat for wipers? I've been doing it at strawberry for years with success but never thought to try it for a wiper.....might be fun[/quote]

What kind of fly line are you using?

For those that might not know, as Tube Dude stated, there are tons of choices in fly lines available these days, but GENERALLY, fly lines are 90' long, with some 100' and some specialty. Now these lines don't go straight down unless you have a lot of weight on the end. Even the sinking lines have a sink rate.
So basically, if you have all your line out and are using a TYPE VII line, but you are drifting, you might hit bottom at maybe 50' or 60' depending how fast you are moving.
BUT, it is very hard to set a hook at that depth, and even worse with a floating line because you have the line on top of the water, plus what is below. You have to straighten the line to set the hook.

Trolling behind a normal boat, you might want to look more at a Mooching set up.

There is a difference between fishing a fly and fly fishing[Wink]
[signature]
I think it's a type 3 line, and has always worked for trout. But then, we're not trolling at mach 3 like I do for wipers this time of year. I suspect it wouldn't get that deep, but probably as deep as most of my cranks (5-10'). For trout i'm usually close to my backing when I troll, maybe i could go a little further out for the wipers
what's mooching?
[signature]
Mooching is basically using the Fly Fishing feel as with a long rod and a fly reel feel, but it is a centerpin reel.
You use regular fishing line with it. Very popular for Salmon fishing.
Basically you can get the feel of fly fishing but using Traditional gear. With fly lines costing a lot more than mono, it is just a thought.

If you let more line out though, be sure you have a good knot[Wink] And hope the fish don't run off with your line.[shocked][cool]
[signature]
yeah, even my 7wt would not give me much of an advantage on some of the fish in that pond! might burn my fingers when they hit!
[signature]
Buddy don't listen to the nay sayers. Wipers and walleye are very catchable on a fly as is any other species. If it swims you can catch it on a fly, period!!! I'm sure the first few guys that fished for tarpon, tuna, billfish, etc with a flyrod were told by all the so called "experts" that is can't be done. We that's obviously been proven wrong. Fly fishing is not always the most effective or efficient way to catch fish, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I grew up with a flyrod in my hand and a float tube under my seat in Idaho and caught every species of fish in Idaho save sturgeon on flies. I can't tell you how many catfish, bass, crappies, blue gills and carp I caught on flies. I have a couple of old friends in their 80's now that fish Salmon Creek Falls 4 to 5 days a week and they catch allot of walleyes, crappie and perch all on flies. It's all in the technique. Sinking lines and presentation, as flygoddess said you can fish flies effectively up to 50 feet deep, just not very fast.
Fly fishing can be very fun and rewarding, just have your expectations aligned. Don't expect to out fish the guys in boats every time on walleyes or wipers, but catching some, definately! There may be times where you're in the right place at the right time and will out fish them, but just because guys aren't winning tournaments with that technique doesn't mean it won't work.
You don't need to spend allot of money on a big boat to catch wipers and walleyes, you can catch plenty and have allot of fun with your flyrod and float tube or pontoon. Enjoy it buddy and talk to the folks that've been there, done that. Not those that have never tried and will tell you from afar how superior they are.
Now go out there and do it. I look forward to seeing a post on your success and pictures, of course. Send PM's to people like flygoddess, tubedude, and others on here that are fly fisherman and they will help you out with information on how to get it done. While I am no expert on catching wipers on a fly as I haven't tried them that way, I know it can be done. There are a few techniques and basic fly patterns that are effective with almost any species of fish, especially from a float tube or toon.

Tight lines buddy, I look forward to seeing you out there. [fishin]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Quote:There is a difference between fishing a fly and fly fishing[img]../../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img]

So very true. [laugh]

So here is some added confusion. Why do we call streamers flies? Is it because the fly has evolved to become quite the insect, metamorphosing into minnows and all...LOL[fishin] I am just pullin teeth...I know [fishin]
[signature]
The term fly doesn't mean the same as a house fly or even just winged insects. The English been doing this way longer than us USers and they did wet flies and nymphs.
For me, a fly is anything made out of hair, fur, feathers, and synthetics, tied on a hook, which does leave bead eggs on a "?" side, but they are used with spinning gear as well so we will just leave them as a multi tasker, whatever.[laugh]

English also refer to flies as lures[crazy]

Pretty sure those bait fish flies include one or two of these...LOL

It is getting crazy though with plastic parts now being introduced. You can buy the diver blades, or curly rubber tails for your fly projects now.
[signature]
This kind of turned into a interesting discussion. I think i got what i need. I will be heading out thursday afternoon. I will let y'all know how i did. Thanks for all the help.
[signature]
Good luck, and catch one for me[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Yea I have been toying around with all sorts of material these days. I wasn't being serious as you probably know, but your right, the term fly is not referring to what I was insinuating. I will try to post up some of the patterns I have been tying. I just went to Starvation for an hour or so and was able to land 2 smallies with a perch pattern that I have not yet thought of a clever enough name for. But it does seem to draw some attention. Type 2 sinking line in 15 feet of water. Got blown off the lake, by some of the strongest wind I have ever witnessed at that lake. It was radical.[fishin]

BTW that is awesome that you have caught a walleye on the fly. Soon enough for me.....soon enough.
[signature]