Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
76 evinrude lost power
I have a 76 evinrude 9.9 HP that has been running perfectly..starts first pull everytime..doesn't die while idling..

Well saturday we were on soldiercreek and the winds started picking up so I turn and started heading for the marina. It had been running just fine, but within a minute of turning toward the marina, the motor died, and I couldnt get it started.

There was a lot of splashing and some water comming over the stern.

We drifted to shore and let it sit for 10 minutes. I then was able to get it started. but it would only run with the throttle fully open, even then it was running very slow.

if I let off the throttle it would just die.

I suspect it had something to do with the rough water, maybe water got into the fuel line. or the air intake or something. Or maybe the carb got gummed up and stuck???

what are your thoughts?
Thanks!
[signature]
That is a tough one but my first thought is a carb problem. Do you run Sea Foam or Stabile in your fuel? Could be some varnish came loose and clogged part of your injector port. If you run Sea Foam, it helps keep the varnish from forming and cleans the small ports in the carb. Once the varnish has come loose and clogged your carb ports you might not be able to get it working right unless you overhaul the carb. It could be something else but those are my thoughts.
WH2
[signature]
i don't run any of that..Sad I have only had it for three weeks though.
Is there a way to check if they are clogged??
thanks!
[signature]
No, unless you know something about cleaning or overhauling carbs. You could try running some Sea Foam through the carb but it would be your only choice other than the overhaul in my opinion but someone else might have another idea.
[signature]
Had that happen to my first motor. Was told I'd "lost compression" - probably due to a worn out impeller- not pulling enough water to cool properly.
Got a used replacement motor, had been stored for a couple years - fired up pretty good, ran great several trips, then dropped to half power, then wouldn't start. Supposition - same issue.

Mechanic has suggested the impeller - when stored - gets bent out of shape, or brittle. Will also burn out your water pump (I'm melting!). Mechanic said it's not worth fixing, but mechanical friends have said there's a "kit" or some means of fixing the cylinders to restore your compression, and get you "back out on the water".
Still hoping for repairs of the "old" motors.

But like Wiperhunter said - fuel mix, bad fuel, carbs clogged - lots of potential causes. Wish I knew more.
Be curious to know what you learn. Good luck!
Good suggestion from CS, if you can do a compression check that could give you another option. Did you notice water coming out of the pee hole?
[signature]
pee hole meaning where the cooling water comes out?
Yes there is water coming out there when it is running. it is not hot just warm
[signature]
yES, WHERE THE COOLING WATER COMES FROM, JUST BELOW THE HEAD OR TOP OF THE MOTOR. wELL THAT IS GOOD, THAT IT IS GETTING WATER. iN THAT CASE IT IS LIKELY A CARB ISSUE BUT YOU COULD STILL CHECK THE COMPRESSION, IF YOU HAVE A TESTER OR YOU COULD CALL THE GUY UP THAT SOLD YOU THE MOTOR AND ASK IF HE EVER HAD THAT PROBLEM. aLSO ASK, HOW LONG THE MOTOR HAS BEEN SITTING SINCE THE LAST TIME IT WAS USED. oTHER THAN THAT ALL i COULD SUGGEST IS GETTING SOME CARB CLEANER AND WHEN YOU GET THE MOTOR STARTED AGAIN, SPRAY SOME DOWN THE THROAT OF THE CARB TO SEE IF THAT HELPS.
Opps sorry about the caps, I didn't notice they were on.
[signature]
Well I started it up today in a bucket of water, it started right up and ran strong from Idle on up. I let it run for 15 minutes or so with no problem, both in neutral and in gear. Good spray of water coming from the pee hole.
I can't help but think it may have taken on some water during the rough ride when the waves were hitting the stern and coming over a little.
So if that was it, how do I figure out where the water is getting through? I can't really figure out how the engine gets air. I see the air intake above the carb but how does air get into the motor cover?
I will run sea foam from now on either way.
[signature]
[quote maitopoika]
So if that was it, how do I figure out where the water is getting through? I can't really figure out how the engine gets air. I see the air intake above the carb but how does air get into the motor cover?
I will run sea foam from now on either way.[/quote]
I'm not really sure about water getting into your gas unless it was condensation but air can get into the gas at the fittings or at the squeeze bulb if the clamps are loose. If it happens again try squeezing the bulb and see if it starts running better, if it does, either tighten the clamps or replace the entire line including the squeeze bulb.
[signature]