Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday Mildness
[cool][#0000ff]I usually don't like to fish on weekends...or on a Monday following a heavy fishing weekend. Even worse following a tournament. But Monday was the only day TubeBabe and I could get away...without wind...this week. Soooooo...we decided to "deal with it" at Knight Hollow (Starvation).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The day started out on a downer. Met up with Wavewolf in Heber City. We were gonna caravan over and introduce him to Starvy. But he got a call from his wife just before he got to Heber letting him know that there had been a medical emergency with his daughter in Wyoming and he had to return home quickly. So TB and I went on without him.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got launched just after 7:30. Air temps about 50 and water temp 63...warming to 67 by early afternoon return time. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water was pouring in at the pipe. Lake is up to about 5 feet from high water. I had expected it to be much lower, based on last week's reports, but it is filling fast now that they are pouring in the water and letting out only a little into the Strawberry River. The rivers out of the Uintas are still running at flood stage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got TubeBabe set up and launched first...nice guy that I am. She repaid me by getting the first fish jinx out of the way quickly...a feisty slimer that didn't know her crankbait was meant for a walleye. Silly slimers. Got no class. She also got a couple more nice rainbows on a bubble fly rig...using a new fly pattern I wanted to try. She done good on those "Starvation steelhead".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I didn't waste any time on anything but walleyes. I moved right out to a couple of my favorite spots and got serious. Set the pattern for the day by dinging a couple of "under-footers"..."seegars". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Met up with Packfan's bro-in-law, Ed. He had a couple of other guys in his boat and was showing them how he had caught over 100 walleyes in that spot on Friday. They were catching quite a few seegars too...with only a couple of larger fish. Biggest I saw was about 2#. One of the passengers, Johnny Lee, did haul in a teen-incher perch. Nice. He also got a few seegars. But in the picture I took of him he wanted me to say that I had photoshopped it to make it look smaller.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ed confirmed that Knight Hollow had been a harvester city for the past week...especially on the tournament days. They had really worked the fish over and there was not much action except on the under-footers. This was confirmed by other boats in the area throughout the morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I gave it my best for a while and got tired of dinging dinks. Moved to a couple of other spots that had treated me well in the past. Same ol' same ol'. Ding-ding dinksters. But I did get some exercise on quite a few feisty smallies...up to about 14 or 15 inches. Those guys really pull good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe's troutskis quit on her early and she started fishing more seriously for the other species. She got a few of the aforementioned seegars and also got some nice smallies. In fact, she actually got a tandem...two smallies on one tandem jig rig...and those two were the biggest ones we caught on that trip. And to top it off, she had another one hit her second rod while she was fighting the first two. She got them all in...a triple play. What a girl.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I never did get any walleyes over about 13", but I caught somewhere between 25 and 30 younguns. I started dragging a fly and bubble later in the day, to maybe try to get a slimer airborne. I did have one biggun slam the fly, strip off some line and take some air...before letting me have my fly back. But all I landed on the fly was one misguided smallmouth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finished up by messing around out in front of where we had parked the car. Caught several more seegars in about 16 feet of water. Throughout the day I caught them in everything from 10 feet to 25'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reports from other anglers include catches from 20' to up to 60' deep over the past few days. I think the combination of heavy fishing pressure and the changing conditions of the fast-rising waters...and fluctuating temperatures...have the fish more scattered and not stabilized. The lake should top out and stabilize within the next two weeks and then we can plan on some summer patterns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was a fun day...no matter. It remained almost flat calm all day. Nice for tubers but not conducive to the best walleye fishing. Oh well. you can't have it all. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
A mild Monday of fishing still beats a Monday working. I enjoyed reading about your trip.

One question: What's a seegar?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A small walleye...cigar size and shape..."seegar".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]A small walleye...cigar size and shape..."seegar".[/#0000ff][/quote]

I see...
[signature]
Seegars.... another name....Hammer handles for small pikes.
Haven't see your son (I'm trying to remember his nickname starting with Tubes something...) around the float tubing site?
[signature]
Even though I don't live in Utah or fish there, I always enjoy your trip reports. Keep 'em comin'!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My son...TubeN2...doesn't hang around on the forum much any more. He was once one of the most prolific posters...involved in several boards. But, as happens to all of us, he got involved in other aspects of life and family situations and has been mentally occupied otherwise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]He still fishes so he is not totally lost.[/#0000ff]
[signature]