Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating tackle box
I am updating my aged tackle.It's been 5+ years since I have updated it.I normally fish for bass,panfish and catfish.

What should my new tackle box have in it?
[signature]
bass:

hard baits
1)yo-zuri crysatl minows in black and silver reflective finnish.
2)rat-l-trap same color as the yo-zuri cryastal minows i like to fish what in the water usaly minnows.
3)jitter bug in porkys pet color
4) Hula popper in porkys pet too
bull frog etc....frog colors for surface baits. minnows for subn surface
like.
5) rapla suspending jerk bait in silver and black back stripe same as the yozuri and the rat-L-trap .

rubber worms:
1) slug oh's and texas rig hook black purple and white
2) k&e bass stoppers same colors.

bait rigs:
some big snell hooks and bobbers for worms crappie rigs/harnesses some times bass will hit those with worms on them lol's

crappie/pannies:

soft plastics / jigs

try rubber one inch long curly tial jigs color dependent on water clarity. to find out more read crappie wisdom by al linder can be found on half .com
spinner jigs

Bait fishing:

adjustabubble bobbers large and small some aberden hook bronze size 10-12 and or smaller i find crappie havebig mouth bending the hook out you may hook up better which is in the book crappie wisdom small bb split shots minnow bucket with areator

artifichials
atifichial baits try gulp 1 inch chartruse shads sent.
even power bait crappie nibblets.

assortment of
verring color jig heads in 1/32oz -1/4oz depended on water curent and fish likeing the action of the jig head.

a good stiff rod with a very stiff back bone will help catch the crappie off guard they bite and spit out on ulgy sticks to easily i find cause there med action. the biger ones tend to in hale and spit with in a 1/2 of a second and the stiffer rod catches them off guard always.

cat fish:

as for caats try and night with crappie rigs with a weight under it and worms on it some times you can get one

any ways a good plano box is recomended one if it a Saddle bag type make sure it has a doubble latch. the one i just bought was green/tan from wall marts and pops open for no reason i got it from wallmarts.

alsoi snap swivels so not to wreck your teeth bitting line.
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed info. What test and kind of line do you recommend?
[signature]
For catfish, if you're targeting big cats with live bait, I usually use:

Hooks: 7/0 to 10/0 Gamakatsu Kahl or Circle hooks, depending on the bait size and tactics i'm using.

Leader: 50 LB Fluorocarbon

Swivel: 80 lb barrell swivel or better

Main Line: 65 lb or better braid (power pro or suffix is my favorite)

I usually make a carolina style rig beefed up with heavy leader and terminal tackle. You need to have heavy gear for two reasons: the fish get really big, and can destroy light to medium equipment. Second, the really big fish are in heavy structure, and you need equipment strong enough to drag them out of the snag.

Remember, you DON"T set the hook, when you use circle hooks. Leave the rod in the rod holder when you get a good, strong bite, and just start cranking. Once he's on, then pick up the rod and fight him to the boat.

The previously mentioned tackle was a great suggestion. For panfish, I actually like the tru turn hooks. They are not anymore expensive, and they seem to minimize the amount of swallowed hooks, and increase the amount of good hook ups. Always get the shiney hooks for panfish, regardless of which kind you get.

I always like to have a few beetle spins in my box too. I like the Berkeley Power Grubs to tip them with, so I usually just buy the Gamakatsu jig heads, the beetle spin frame, and tippet all seperately. If you haven't noticed, i'm partial to Gamakatsu equipment, and for good reason.
[signature]
The only thing I don't agree with, that I saw posted, was about the snap swivel. Keeping your line as natural and stealthy as possible is key, especially when the bite is slow. A snap swivel makes changing rigs and lures easy and fast, but it will also lower the amount of bites you get. Some days, when the fishing is really hot, and the strike zone is big, it may not effect your numbers so much. But, when the strike zone is small, and the fish have time to get a good look at your rig before they commit, it will keep you from getting bites.

I suggest you learn to tight an albright, and connect a piece of light fluorocarbon to your lure applications. Tight directly to your lure. I bet the amount of fish you catch increases, granted you do your part with lure selection and presentation.
[signature]
absolutly right on the snap swivels sorry my compueter was freezing up i was on it so long writeing . it was over heating i think the cooling fan in it is broke lol's. small net book lol's. what i was trying to say is do not use snap swivels most of all with cat fishing the line is so heavy you go to bite it off you could shatter a tooth like me doing it in salt water in cert head slaping e-con here lol's.

carppie i use 4 lb test and 8-10 lb test for bass.

so much more to learn to little time lol's
[signature]
I know what you're saying about the tooth thing. I use to chew mono in half when I was younger, but I learned my lesson very similarly. I keep a sharp knife and a good set of pliers near by for just that reason. [cool] Some of the guys I know have a set of stainless nail clippers attached to thier plier holder, with a piece of para cord or something along those lines. That is actually the best thing i've found, but I always loose them. They cut mono, fluoro, and braid with ease, no matter how fine or large the diameter. For someone restocking a tackle box, nail clippers would be a good addition. [Wink]
[signature]
good point lol's also a good knot card with how to tie knots is priceless to.
[signature]