Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Manistee and Lower Manistee in the summer
Hi all, I am leaving this Saturday for a week long stay in Manistee County. I will be 5 min from Portage Lake and 10 from Manistee Lake. I have never fished anywhere over on the west coast of Michigan and could really use some advice for summertime Walleye, Perch, and Brown Trout. I have a well equipped 13' fiberglass fishing vessel and would also like to break in my new fly rod. I am new to the sport of fly fishing, but am a veteran to the sport of fishing. I have been doing all the homework I can, but would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience with the inland lakes and rivers of Manistee County in the summer. Anyone care to share some of their tips or tactics? I would gladly share any knowledge of my own in exchange. Thanks.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
i fish the big manistee all the time never fished perch or waleye on it not saying there not there just don't fish them wile up there usally it's steel , salmon and trout's all type's do you do any fly tying? and are you from the state? how many day will you be up there? i do all my own tying and fishing lol's. any ways there is two type of rod that can be used one a 4 or 5 weight. the other a steel head spining rod that about 9 foot long. for line weights 6-12 lb test lure weights some thing like 3/16 - 3/4 ounce. i use a three way rig and fish fly / spawn under the long rod or flies at the end of the fly rod. i suggest wading up by the damn tippy damn by wadeing i mean ankle deep standing just off the bank. i will hit the stairs side and there is a big long hole there with steel and browns stacking up cause they can go any further. stop in fisher mens head quaters on 55 in wellston just before you get to schmidts out fiitters on seamens rd off of 55 this is heading to down town manistee from caddillac in other word west. this store is by the entrance of strairs of tippy damn. ask him for flies for fishing the steel head rod if you do not fish a long rod i can get some pic's of mine or if your in the state i can mail you some to use / try. for a fly rod that if you do not tye. p.m. me if you need them also can give more advice by p.m.if you want to there are certin techniques and flies i can talk about by p.m. so every one does not know and you will have a good time.
[signature]
I'm no pro with fly fishing, and don't know the water you'll be fishing; but I do recommend visiting the fly fishing board in regards to fly fishing tactics. flygoddess and dryrod are both skilled fly fishing anglers, and have a wealth of knowledge. There are also many other fly anglers on that board that can help out, that's just the two that come to mind.

You may also visit your state board for specific info for the area.
[signature]
Thanks for the post. I will be fly fishing for the first time in Manistee. I was given a brand new set up last year and only had the chance to use it for bluegill fishing. Thanks for the tip. I had the info on Schmidt Outfitters printed out and in my "homework" packet. I planned to stop in there and get the info on the flies I should be using for this time of year. I am a Michigan native, although I have only been back for 3 years from a 10 year stay in Florida. I will be 31 next month...that is one of the reasons I am going to Manistee. I will be staying there for a week. Sat. through Sat. This is only my second year owning a boat of my own, so I have really been learning a ton these two summers.
You mentioned a 9 foot spinning rod for steelhead. My brother-in-law has one for pier fishing. I could borrow that. What would be the advantage and what is a 3 way rig?
What do you mean by a 4 or 5 weight? I have an assortment of spinning and baitcasting rods and reels. My fly rod is 9'.
What do you think of night fishing there?
[signature]
[quote fishing_fanatic]Thanks for the post. I will be fly fishing for the first time in Manistee. I was given a brand new set up last year and only had the chance to use it for bluegill fishing. Thanks for the tip. I had the info on Schmidt Outfitters printed out and in my "homework" packet. I planned to stop in there and get the info on the flies I should be using for this time of year. I am a Michigan native, although I have only been back for 3 years from a 10 year stay in Florida. I will be 31 next month...that is one of the reasons I am going to Manistee. I will be staying there for a week. Sat. through Sat. This is only my second year owning a boat of my own, so I have really been learning a ton these two summers.
You mentioned a 9 foot spinning rod for steelhead. My brother-in-law has one for pier fishing. I could borrow that. What would be the advantage and what is a 3 way rig?
What do you mean by a 4 or 5 weight? I have an assortment of spinning and baitcasting rods and reels. My fly rod is 9'.
What do you think of night fishing there?[/quote]

i am 32 this year in october.
michigan native

[url "http://www.trailstotrout.com/"][#0000ff][size 3][#0000ff][size 3]http://www.trailstotrout.com/[/size][/#0000ff][/size][/#0000ff][/url]
[size 3]salmon tips there is a pic of the chuck and duck rig here almost the same as a three way rig with a three way swivel. there are three point of attachment one) main line. two) the fly/leader then. three) the weight usaly 3/8 to 1/2 once on the manistee. as for night fishing do it all the time bring a lanteren with a shade for night fishing.so not to blind the fish
[/size][url "http://www.trailstotrout.com/tips.html"][#0000ff][size 3][#0000ff][size 3]http://www.trailstotrout.com/tips.html[/size][/#0000ff][/size][/#0000ff][/url]

usaly the fly line refers to line weight usaly weight forward and has a number like 5 or 4 or 6 . 9 foot is a perfet length for a fly rod for the manistee.

as for why to get close as posible to the tippy damn the resident brown trout like the cool water out of the damn the rest is to warm for trout but perfect for eyes and perch if you can find them there tons of suckers right now along with skamaina steel head.you realy do not need the boat cause of the coffer damn just below the main damn but can be used just below the coffer damn. look for dilling road and look for coats high way dilling road is off coats high way on the other side of the river. whcih is fishable and has a boat lanch is state run so if you got a state sticker for the the p sticker already your good to go. any ways i could type on and on about this river for weeks on end. if you need lot's of info just tell me if you never been there lol's .
[signature]
as for the advantge you can cover more water with longer rods and it is a tippet saving tool for large fish steel head rods are of 9 -12 foot long andcover various weights and pound tests that three way rig you will feel the rigg tick the bottom by reeling up the slack hold the tip as high as possible just be care full not to tick the guy next to you off by holding it to high some time sholder to shoulder fishing. remember the guy down flow from you cast first so not to tangle read about that under river edicate if you feel like doing so.

i will be off for a few to take some fly picture and get names etc for ya to get a schmidts and fishermens head quaters funny thing is even the gas station in front of schmidts sell flys too. i think ever place up there sells flies lol's.

any ways good luck glad you replied.
[signature]
Are you a Manistee local?
What is the trick to catching Skamiania Steele's? I've heard their like a freshwater dolphin.
[signature]
nope from down south by novi as for what the trick is. the trick is not to go insane trying to catch one there so far and few between and yes very acrobattic like a dolphin or mahi mahi. but there in the deeper holes of the river bed and eating flies like wigglers stone flies and egg flies.stop in to fishermen head quaters or andys bait box of breathren they sell flies too lol's. but on the north side of the river as for what the trout are eating. try all caddis pattrens pupa, elk hairs,even larva up at the damn. there more trout then steel there and easier not to lose your mind over.
[signature]
BTW, what is P.M.? Im assuming it's a messenger of some sort.
[signature]
look at the vary top of your screen, on the blue bar it says profile and you have new message
private massage is long for p.m.
[signature]